Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

It may have already been mentioned, but Robert Murray said something about the Clevinger deal not being a straight 1yr/$12M deal. That there is a 2nd year option and with the buyout it will reach $12M. Mentioned something about creatively shifting the money around.

So maybe since the first report we heard was "more than $8M" it could end up being something like 1 yr/$8.5M with a 2nd year option for "xxx" amount or a $4M buyout. We might end up with a few extra million for 2023 to work up to Jerry's self-imposed budget.

Where did he mention this?

On 12/1/2022 at 12:47 PM, Chisoxfn said:

$10M for a guy with a 4.90 ERA over 145 starts. Man this is like giving Vince Velasquez 10M per year.  I get it - he has 130 innings split over 2 years that have been way better than the rest of his career - but its still just a handful of starts in each of those seasons, so SSS.  

I never understood Velasquez and this feels that way when you put the $10M on it.  

Giolito 4.33 over 147 starts

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

BF8AC890-E95B-4357-B962-25744B9EB4C6.gif

If Clevinger were super good, he’d have a 2nd year option at like $19.5 million that he’d potentially take. It would make sense for both sides to use that as a way to get a slightly higher guarantee this year and a slightly lower second year number.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess my question is if we exercise the mutual option for 2024 and Clevinger declines, are we off the hook for the $4M?  I assume the answer is yes, which would make this an ever better deal.

Same question I had. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I guess my question is if we exercise the mutual option for 2024 and Clevinger declines, are we off the hook for the $4M?  I assume the answer is yes, which would make this an ever better deal.

No. Option has to be exercised by both parties. It's either a 1/12 or 2/20 deal. 

It's just deferring $4M until next year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mutual options are never exercised by both.. Basically it's a 1 year 12 million with 4 million of it deferred to after next season. The Sox will be on the hook for the additional 4 million even if they exercised it.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That is not usually how mutual options work. Would be fantastic if Hahn was able to convince Clevengers representation To do that though.

Edited by ChiSox59