Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Mutual options are never exercised by both.. Basically it's a 1 year 12 million with 4 million of it deferred to after next season. The Sox will be on the hook for the additional 4 million even if they exercised it.

That I do know, which makes them kind of dumb.  However, I figured the idea here was to give Clevinger an extra $4M guaranteed in the event he is bad and the Sox decide to buy him out whereas the Sox are protected in the event he is good and doesn’t exercise his side of the mutual option.  Sounds like I’m wrong here, but I guess I don’t really get it otherwise because you can simply include deferred dollars in the contract with a mutual option.

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Thanks. So are we at around $164M for 2023 right now?  If so, that’s much a much better position than I thought we’d be after filling out the rotation. 

@ChiSox59

I’d have us somewhere in the $167M to $175M range depending on we account for buy-outs and dead money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Thanks. So are we at around $164M for 2023 right now?  If so, that’s much a much better position than I thought we’d be after filling out the rotation. 

@ChiSox59

I think $168M is the correct figure. That counts Pollock and Harrison’s buyout for 22, and Clevingers for 23. But definitely isn’t a consensus on how exactly to account the buyouts. I think just assuming $170ish is safe. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 12:52 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

It may have already been mentioned, but Robert Murray said something about the Clevinger deal not being a straight 1yr/$12M deal. That there is a 2nd year option and with the buyout it will reach $12M. Mentioned something about creatively shifting the money around.

So maybe since the first report we heard was "more than $8M" it could end up being something like 1 yr/$8.5M with a 2nd year option for "xxx" amount or a $4M buyout. We might end up with a few extra million for 2023 to work up to Jerry's self-imposed budget.

Yup. Good info from Robert Murray.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Anyone else think we see an Addison Reed type deal happen at the Meetings? Hendriks dealt for a couple young MLB ready players that can contribute now/soon?

Edit: wrong thread but f*** it.

That’s what I’ve been expecting.  The return is what I worry about. 

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d have us somewhere in the $167M to $175M range depending on we account for buy-outs and dead money.

So unless we start unloading serious money we are one league average signing away from not having enough payroll room to afford a plate of Nashville hot chicken.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

So unless we start unloading serious money we are one league average signing away from not having enough payroll room to afford a plate of Nashville hot chicken.

If the Sox anticipated shopping anywhere but the Salvation Army, there would have been Soxfest this year. They gave away they are cowards, they also gave away they weren’t planning on doing enough that would get Soxfest attendees minds off of 2022 this winter.

• Thanks 1