Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox either need to s%*# or get off the pot. If they truly trust the talent and think 2022 was a one off, they need to add to try to win. If they want to go their normal conservative route, and not be confident in the roster they have assembled, they shouldn't be shocked when the fanbase follows their lead. 

2022 sucked. But they still were .500 with a decent chance to win the division in September.  That'd with LaRussa and most other things going wrong. So I don't think the situation is as dire as some who apparently think the Sox have a 65 win roster. 

Jerry loves going half-assed though.  I will never forget the 2015-16 off-season when we acquired Todd Frazier and we all thought they’d sign Upton, Gordon, or Cespedes for the OF.  Instead we signed Austin Jackson cause he was cheap and fit well with our other dumpster dives like Jimmy Rollins & Brett Lawrie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

At full market contracts with their injury histories?  That is big time risk.

That is true.  I wouldn't necessarily expect a haul, but I don't think they would be immovable.  With the Sox luck though, they would probably turn into bad money quickly.

16 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

That is true.  I wouldn't necessarily expect a haul, but I don't think they would be immovable.  With the Sox luck though, they would probably turn into bad money quickly.

Take Rodon at 5/150 and Nimmo at 5/110, or right around their estimates.  Give Rodon another shoulder or TJS injury and/or Nimmo a fall back to his previous three years worth of games played and those are disasters of contracts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The Sox either need to s%*# or get off the pot. If they truly trust the talent and think 2022 was a one off, they need to add to try to win. If they want to go their normal conservative route, and not be confident in the roster they have assembled, they shouldn't be shocked when the fanbase follows their lead. 

2022 sucked. But they still were .500 with a decent chance to win the division in September.  That'd with LaRussa and most other things going wrong. So I don't think the situation is as dire as some who apparently think the Sox have a 65 win roster. 

Agreed. Way too many people are falling victim to the tendency to take the immediate past season and project it forward into eternity.  Every baseball season is its own independent story.  It's not that crazy for a team -- especially one with sufficient talent to have back-to-back playoff appearances -- to have a bad year and bounce back.

But they absolutely need to add to/tinker with what they have if they want to have a shot.

• Like 2

“The arm held up great. The arm held up great the whole year. The arm actually held up better than the rest of the body for a

“I think it was readjusting to that part and kind of battling through some things in my lower half. That’s the big goal right now. I want to go post to post and give this team a chance to win every five days. I don't see that being an issue again. 

“I'm excited to get back to being my old self.”

He came to the right place, the Sox have just the right golf gadgets for him

Edited by Chick Mercedes

• 1 month later...

Feeling better about signing after reading this new blurb in MLBTR today.  Sounds like more than just wishing and hoping that Clevinger will regain past form.  Quoting Katz:

“We broke down some biomechanics stuff after we signed him to kind of show him the differences. Where he was different in all aspects of his delivery, which was probably in correlation to the knee … Now that he is healthy, he is working on it. His bullpens and the videos that I have seen, there’s been no kind of restrictions or anything that’s slowed him down from being able to be aggressive on that back leg

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 12:15 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I absolutely hate the way the fidgety way this guy acts on the mound. Reminds me of Karinchak. Also is very close with Trevor Bauer.

From a baseball standpoint he seems like a reasonable #4 or #5 option for us, with upside if Katz can fix him, but I'm not going to enjoy rooting for him. 🤷

As I said.....didn't want to root for him. Clearly he was closer to Bauer than we all thought. Scumbag.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

As I said.....didn't want to root for him. Clearly he was closer to Bauer than we all thought. Scumbag.

What does this even mean? Are you suggesting they had some sort of domestic violence pact?

14 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Pretty sure that was sarcasm judging by the hand on the face emoji

Of course it was, but I asked him to elaborate on his weird comment and he chose not to so Ill just assume he was serious and move on.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Exactly. Didn't realize I posted a riddle. Seemed like a pretty obvious comment about them being so close that Clevinger also picked up on Bauer's terrible behavior and how he treats women.

Just because Bauer has some weird sex fetish doesn't mean Clevinger decided to abuse women and children because they were friends/close. Its a ridiculous take and your childish defense of it comes as no shock. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Just because Bauer has some weird sex fetish doesn't mean Clevinger decided to abuse women and children because they were friends/close. Its a ridiculous take and your childish defense of it comes as no shock. 

No one is stating that. Just that similar types of people attract each other.

• Like 1

SoxTalk/Psych 101...lovely offseason where more off the field issues have dominated again.

Unfortunately, Rick Hahn studied law and business, but has never learned the soft skills necessary for doing anything but dealing with softball media questions and diverting blame.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1