Jose Abreu in Houston thread

Sleepy Harold

Just now, GREEDY said:

No one seems to agree with me but something transpired between the Sox and Jose prior to spring training last year.  He was not even close to the same person in 2022.  

No clue what it was, but I'm guessing it was bad. 

It seems like lots of s%*# happened behind the scenes in ST last year that we didn't know about. Nobody knew that Tony had a serious health issue. We all just thought he was old. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

No one seems to agree with me but something transpired between the Sox and Jose prior to spring training last year.  He was not even close to the same person in 2022.  

Ehh. I think they were honest with him.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see Jose simply was not a fit for this roster moving forward. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ehh. I think they were honest with him.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see Jose simply was not a fit for this roster moving forward. 

Which happened because the people that built the roster aren't good at their paid profession. 

Any way you slice it, the Sox are supposed to be smack dab in the middle of their "World Series Window" and their most consistent hitter over the last 9 years walked away to a team that has been the best team in the American League the last 5-6 years. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Although his power numbers were down, he was extremely effective at the plate last year since he was more patient. He was a different style of hitter, and that made him not look like the same type of person, but this style might even be more sustainable over the next few years. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

KW signed jeff Nelson specifically because the Big Hurt had a lot of problems hitting him. He gave up the 2nd homer. IIRC, the first was his first AB. 

If I remember correctly, many of the South Side faithful gave Frank a standing ovation every at bat.....with less people standing after each home run 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Although his power numbers were down, he was extremely effective at the plate last year since he was more patient. He was a different style of hitter, and that made him not look like the same type of person, but this style might even be more sustainable over the next few years. 

Sorry, I meant his general demeanor, not the result of his play.  

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Which happened because the people that built the roster aren't good at their paid profession. 

Any way you slice it, the Sox are supposed to be smack dab in the middle of their "World Series Window" and their most consistent hitter over the last 9 years walked away to a team that has been the best team in the American League the last 5-6 years. 

What, you mean a team that could have had *checks notes* Carlos Rodon, Jose Abreu, Chris Bassitt, and Marcus Semien?

Guys that got to the majors and everything with the team?

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yep. As I said, Sox created this mess. No counter for me. But once the mess was created, Jose no longer fit. It is what it is. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Good for Jose Abreu. I'm very glad that the White Sox didn't give him a 3 year deal though. 

Yeah at this point it's just business. Even if Vaughn wasn't on the team, I don't know if giving Jose another 3 year deal would have been smart. Houston can maybe change his swing/approach more to prolong his career, but that wasn't gonna happen on the Sox. 

• Quin changed the title to Jose Abreu in Houston thread