Jose Abreu in Houston thread

Sleepy Harold

It was unfortunately the right decision with the way this terrible roster is constructed IF they address the OF. But the fact that they DID make an offer to him already knowing how strapped for cash and the roster construction makes me believe the FO still doesn’t know what the f*** They are doing. 

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

It was unfortunately the right decision with the way this terrible roster is constructed IF they address the OF. But the fact that they DID make an offer to him already knowing how strapped for cash and the roster construction makes me believe the FO still doesn’t know what the f*** They are doing. 

Of course they don't know what they are doing, this has been proven multiple times.

1 minute ago, ShoeLessRob said:

It was unfortunately the right decision with the way this terrible roster is constructed IF they address the OF. But the fact that they DID make an offer to him already knowing how strapped for cash and the roster construction makes me believe the owner GAF about roster construction and made the FO make an offer. FO still doesn’t know what the f*** They are doing. 

FIFY

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I do not agree in the slightest.  This team is not better paying Abreu $20M in his decline phase and playing a comparable bat that is an awful OF in the OF to keep Abreu on the roster.

If you want to ignore the reality of the situation, sure having Abreu is better than not.  But, circumstance is fairly important in this instance. 

The issue is you continue to miss the point people are making. There are very few people, if any, that are saying the 2023 White Sox should have topped the Astros offer for Jose. No one disagrees that it simply doesn't make sense given the roster makeup. 

What people are upset about, and rightly so, is that the White Sox let their best overall player walk away, to the team that has been the class of the AL, and the Astors clearly made it known they had to have him. Meanwhile, the White Sox, who told us division titles don't matter and it's "about rings" are coming off a .500 season and only have the resources for B/C level free agents. 

None of this should have gone down this way. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

The issue is you continue to miss the point people are making. There are very few people, if any, that are saying the 2023 White Sox should have topped the Astros offer for Jose. No one disagrees that it simply doesn't make sense given the roster makeup. 

What people are upset about, and rightly so, is that the White Sox let their best overall player walk away, to the team that has been the class of the AL, and the Astors clearly made it known they had to have him. Meanwhile, the White Sox, who told us division titles don't matter and it's "about rings" are coming off a .500 season and only have the resources for B/C level free agents. 

None of this should have gone down this way. 

I am not missing any points.  I don't really care that the Astros wanted Abreu.  He's a fit there.  They have a gaping hole at first base and payroll space.  The Sox have neither.  

I won't sit here and say that I think the Sox have deployed their payroll in the most intelligent way, but they're payroll was higher than the Astros last year and they will be very comparable in 2023.  Its not a matter of not spending money.  The Sox have spent plenty.  

What lead us to this situation is sort of irrelevant at this point.  The day the Sox draft Andrew Vaughn, they decided that AV was going to be their 1B of the future.  When the Sox signed Abreu to the 3 year deal before 2020, they decided that they'd have to make things work in the interim.  And they did; but it become obvious in 2022 that playing AV in the OF was not something they could continue to do.  

I am not defending the Sox FO.  I think they've largely botched every major decision over the past 26 months.  I also absolutely adore Jose Abreu.  But the two just didn't fit any longer.  The fact that the best team in the AL wanted him because he fit their roster better than ours doesn't really change any of that.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If he could keep the same extra patient approach at the plate while also getting away from the "hit the ball on the ground at all costs" philosophy of Chicago so that a few of his home runs came back, he's basically a 5 win 1b. If he avoids injury, he's at a place with coaches who have a history of pushing players in that direction. 

It’s not a matter of if people think he will do well. It’s only a matter of if our team should pay him 3/60 (or more since Texas has no state income tax)

5 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

It’s not a matter of if people think he will do well. It’s only a matter of if our team should pay him 3/60 (or more since Texas has no state income tax)

Clearly that's not what people said. A person literally said that the only way Abreu performs better than Vaughn next year is is if Abreu takes steroids. While I'm not going to rule anything out as impossible, Vaughn has a helluva long way to go to even get close to Abreu's performance last year. 

17 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

It’s not ageist, greg. It’s about being up against the limit of what your owner is willing to set your payroll, and having your best hitting prospect waiting to replace and expensive piece that is clearly in decline. The only depth the team has is decent bats that play first base and low ceiling second base utility players. They can’t afford to commit significant resources to more players on those spots. 

I wouldn't say he's clearly in decline but I appreciate your reasoning and your post.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I wouldn't say he's clearly in decline but I appreciate your reasoning and your post.

I’m not saying he isn’t still good, just in decline. By which I mean his batted ball data and the delta in traditional results are both consistent with someone who is adjusting to a decrease in bat speed. 

4 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I’m not saying he isn’t still good, just in decline. By which I mean his batted ball data and the delta in traditional results are both consistent with someone who is adjusting to a decrease in bat speed. 

The ball appeared dead last year. None of the Sox were hitting the long ball. I personally think our team right now is trash. I'd say last place or only ahead of the Royals. This team blows. Sub par bullpen; average staters (if evereybody's healthy); and pathetic every day lineup. It just is. It's a rotten lineup.

• Hawk 1

21 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah it makes sense for the Astros, who didn’t have a 1B.

I blame the front office for creating a logjam of 1B/DHs and Jerry for unwillingness to spend like a big market team in the middle of a competitive window.

A Rick Hahn Jackie Treehorn Production 

71qRWFPHV1L._SS500_.jpg

• 4 months later...

I wonder if Jose is done.

He is hitting solidly so far but his swinging strike rate is at a career high and his max ev so far only 106.

Last year his power already was down but he compensated by a better average and more walks but it seems like his batspeed has declined even more.

So far he is hitting over 300 but with a 400 babip which won't be sustained.

Abreu was great for the sox but they might have jumped the ship at the right moment.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I wonder if Jose is done.

He is hitting solidly so far but his swinging strike rate is at a career high and his max ev so far only 106.

Last year his power already was down but he compensated by a better average and more walks but it seems like his batspeed has declined even more.

So far he is hitting over 300 but with a 400 babip which won't be sustained.

Abreu was great for the sox but they might have jumped the ship at the right moment.

What you just described was literally Abreu in the 2nd half of last year. High average, low power, very high BABIP

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The guy is toast 

Sometimes a broken clock tells the right time. It's early, but that is a pretty dramatic decline in batted ball quality. I think he'll still be a 1-3 WAR player for a few years, but it's looking more like 1 than 3.

josestatcast.png

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

• Quin changed the title to Jose Abreu in Houston thread