Jose Abreu in Houston thread

Sleepy Harold

30 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yep. As I said, Sox created this mess. No counter for me. But once the mess was created, Jose no longer fit. It is what it is. 

It never ends.  Collins was terrible behind the plate so they started working him at 1B in Charlotte.  Burger doesn't have the mobility for 3rd.  

Rumor has it Grandal may play more at first.  They might be stupid enough to trade Vaughn and wouldn't surprise me if they did it for another pen guy.   I no longer dismiss stupid with this organization.

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

That last game where Jose just sat in the dugout without having a proper send-off is just so strange. Fans didn't get to say goodbye. Don't get me wrong I love the guy, was the most professional player in that clubhouse, but last season and then that stunt really made me question his leadership ability. The Sox need new guys that can play AND lead.

That said, Jose, I wish you nothing but the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

but last season and then that stunt really made me question his leadership ability. The Sox need new guys that can play AND lead.

If that's all it took for you to turn on Jose then you may need to look yourself in the mirror. 

the man played through injuries, came to compete every day. he asked to have one day off... one ... maybe you dont remember when he'd get pegged and TLR was talking about how he needed a rest day and Abreu refused? 

but he took off one day ... the last day as a Sox fan to sit out and you think he's not a leader? 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Not a popular opinion here...but Vaughn will outplay him by a decent clip over the next 3 years. Sad to see him go...but you HAVE to play your farm guys when they are ready. No more Vaughn in the outfield will be a very good thing 

Ditto.

My heart cries, but my head agrees with the move

Also, there's little doubt in my mind if Abreu didn't outplay his last contract (aka he had a poor season or two) that the Sox would've brought him back. He was too successful for a poor franchise. If he could've been had on a 1 year, $8-10mm contract and was a shell of his peak performance you'd see him splitting time at DH/1B. 

Simply put, good franchises retain their talent when they perform

Bad franchises look to offload those guys for cheaper, controllable talent.

It's the same for real every day work too. Good companies retain their best employees. Bad companies let them go to competitors that value their time and talent more. The sox are a bottom feeder franchise and will always be a bottom feeder franchise until JR is gone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, he gone. said:

Also, there's little doubt in my mind if Abreu didn't outplay his last contract (aka he had a poor season or two) that the Sox would've brought him back. He was too successful for a poor franchise. If he could've been had on a 1 year, $8-10mm contract and was a shell of his peak performance you'd see him splitting time at DH/1B. 

It's the same for real every day work too. Good companies retain their best employees. Bad companies let them go to competitors that value their time and talent more. The sox are a bottom feeder franchise and will always be a bottom feeder franchise until JR is gone. 

As I said at the time they should have traded him at the deadline. Letting him walk is fine, letting him walk for nothing is stupid.

5 minutes ago, he gone. said:

I'd also add, 3 years and $58.5mm is rich. Jose and his agent did well. I think my assigned value to him would've been closer to 2 yrs and $30-34mm and if we're getting crazy, add on a buyout of like $3-5mm with an option for year 3 at like $10-12mm. 

So at the very max we're talking either 2 years and call it $36mm guaranteed w/ buyout or like 3 years and $45mm. 

Think he got a very good deal and based on the Sox own self-imposed ban on winning and spending, it probably made most sense to assign that money elsewhere to have the best shot at winning these next few years. (because of their own mismanagement previously)

Being on record as hating the idea of Jose in an Astros uniform for sentimental reasons...I will say that I find the resistance to this move a little puzzling since the prevailing sentiment on this board seems to be that we should be a "smarter," more progressive organization like the Rays, Guardians, etc.  Well, this happens to be one time the Sox are acting like those orgs -- they are jettisoning an aging veteran because they managed to line up a cheap, capable replacement behind him.  This will allow them to allocate resources where they're more needed (whether they actually *will* do that is another story.)  It hurts, but face it, it's exactly the kind of move smart organizations make. Signing Abreu to a big deal because we love him is the meatball move.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

Mocking-Spongebob.jpg

Jose's been playing pro ball since he was 17 and people have been scouting him.

Jonah Keri wrote this piece when he was 25, but sure, because he's from Cuba, you can continue you on with crackpot theories.

The chances that Jose is older than he claims is significant.  The fact that he started playing pro ball at 17 or that "people were scouting him" is definitely not proof that his age is correct.

At the very least it doesn't qualify as a crackpot theory or deserve the meme treatment. 

Edited by GREEDY

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Mocking-Spongebob.jpg

Jose's been playing pro ball since he was 17 and people have been scouting him.

Jonah Keri wrote this piece when he was 25, but sure, because he's from Cuba, you can continue you on with crackpot theories.

Crackpot theories?  I bought my brother an El Duque rookie card from 1957....now I'm concerned....do you think I shouldn't gift that this Christmas??

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

The chances that Jose is older than he claims is significant.  The fact that he started playing pro ball at 17 or that "people were scouting him" is definitely not proof that his age is correct.

At the very least it doesn't qualify as a crackpot theory or deserve the meme treatment. 

Then why aren't we questioning the age of every single player not born in the United States?

How do we know Luis isn't actually 32 years old? Because it's stupid.

All this is is profiling older Cuban players that defected when they had the chance. 

• Thanks 1

• Quin changed the title to Jose Abreu in Houston thread