Jose Abreu in Houston thread

Sleepy Harold

39 minutes ago, he gone. said:

If that's all it took for you to turn on Jose then you may need to look yourself in the mirror. 

the man played through injuries, came to compete every day. he asked to have one day off... one ... maybe you dont remember when he'd get pegged and TLR was talking about how he needed a rest day and Abreu refused? 

but he took off one day ... the last day as a Sox fan to sit out and you think he's not a leader? 

My God. People need to learn reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say I turned on him. Did you watch last season at all? The lack of leadership in that clubhouse was quite obvious. Not one guy stepped up that should have, INCLUDING Abreu. It wasn't just "one day that he took off," it was his LAST game as a White Sock after multiple dominant seasons...and you don't say goodbye? That on top of everything else that happened last year definitely makes me question his leadership ability. 

There's a difference between the meanings of "leadership" and "work ethic." One of them you can have without the other, the other you can't. And to me, evidence shows he MIGHT have had the one that doesn't require the other.

Edited by ScooterMcGuire
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

19.5 per. Jose made 19.667 in 2022, the only year the White sox will pay more than the Astros will for his  age 37-39 seasons.

That's the "put us over the edge" premium that we instead chose to give to our bullpen.

5 minutes ago, Quin said:

Then why aren't we questioning the age of every single player not born in the United States?

How do we know Luis isn't actually 32 years old? Because it's stupid.

All this is is profiling older Cuban players that defected when they had the chance. 

We don't. When I was playing Legion, scouts would have you fill out cards with your info. They were telling the older guys to shave a year off their age. I think Contreras finally admitted to being older than listed. There's a decent chance a lot of these guys are.

27 minutes ago, Quin said:

Mocking-Spongebob.jpg

Jose's been playing pro ball since he was 17 and people have been scouting him.

Jonah Keri wrote this piece when he was 25, but sure, because he's from Cuba, you can continue you on with crackpot theories.

It's also worth noting that after 9/11 the US government when into a whole other level when it came to the qualifications needing to get into the United States as well as green cards and other papers required for foreign workers.  While it wasn't difficult to make up documents pre-9/11, it is a different world today.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's also worth noting that after 9/11 the US government when into a whole other level when it came to the qualifications needing to get into the United States as well as green cards and other papers required for foreign workers.  While it wasn't difficult to make up documents pre-9/11, it is a different world today.

Yes, but some of the places these guys come from don't really care how accurate the documents are. Besides, how are you going to tell how  legit  a birth certificate is from Cuba, or Venezuela, or the DR?  I think it's still the honor system in many ways. Abreu ate a fake passport on his way to sign his White Sox contract. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Baron said:

Gonna roll with Vaughn at first. This is going to work fantastic I can feel it. Last year he was able to quell my fears about bad defense and streaky hitting. I'm sure it'll be fine putting him at first. Yep. 

AV is finally playing his usual position. So there is cause for optimism. 

I think it's a step down for the Sox but a great opportunity for Jose and Houston. I hope he wins a championship with them. Defecting in his late 20s (or so) probably will prevent him from compiling HoF numbers, but projecting backwards he probably would have at least garnered some attention. 

The king is dead, long live the king. 

28 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, but some of the places these guys come from don't really care how accurate the documents are. Besides, how are you going to tell how  legit  a birth certificate is from Cuba, or Venezuela, or the DR?  I think it's still the honor system in many ways. Abreu ate a fake passport on his way to sign his White Sox contract. 

They don't, but to get into the US they need them.

40 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

My God. People need to learn reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say I turned on him. Did you watch last season at all? The lack of leadership in that clubhouse was quite obvious. Not one guy stepped up that should have, INCLUDING Abreu. It wasn't just "one day that he took off," it was his LAST game as a White Sock after multiple dominant seasons...and you don't say goodbye? That on top of everything else that happened last year definitely makes me question his leadership ability. 

There's a difference between the meanings of "leadership" and "work ethic." One of them you can have without the other, the other you can't. And to me, evidence shows he MIGHT have had the one that doesn't require the other.

Anytime anybody brings up Jose's supposedly excellent leadership abilities, I think of the Brad Pitt "Moneyball" line "if he's such a good hitter, then why don't he hit good?"  If Jose is such a great clubhouse guy, why has he been around for a bunch of the most dysfunctional clubhouses in recent MLB memory?  If he's such a great mentor, why is this team filled with the laziest young Latinos in the game?  Today is a good day, one I've been looking forward to for a long, long time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Anytime anybody brings up Jose's supposedly excellent leadership abilities, I think of the Brad Pitt "Moneyball" line "if he's such a good hitter, then why don't he hit good?"  If Jose is such a great clubhouse guy, why has he been around for a bunch of the most dysfunctional clubhouses in recent MLB memory?  If he's such a great mentor, why is this team filled with the laziest young Latinos in the game?  Today is a good day, one I've been looking forward to for a long, long time. 

They're grown men. Leadership in professional sports is most often shown by example. Abreu busted his ass, never stopped working, and improved multiple areas of his game over the course of a great career with the Sox.

What has been so dysfunctional before LaRussa? The rebuild teams and Renteria teams played their asses off. There were stories of guys like Eloy and Yoan riding with Abreu to the facility at like 5am to train with him.

Blaming one grown man (who is a peer) for the underperformance of other grown men is beyond odd. There was no question how hard Jose worked, and that's the best leadership anyone can show around their peers. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

9 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Everyone knew this was coming. Glad Jose' gets to play for an organization that has actual World Series aspirations.

Hey it could have been worse...he could have signed with the Cubs.

First base belongs to Vaughn now, we'll see how it goes.

This is not better.  The Cubs suck and are no where near the playoffs.  Helping playoff teams is the opposite of what this organization needs.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is not better.  The Cubs suck and are no where near the playoffs.  Helping playoff teams is the opposite of what this organization needs.

This. I don’t understand the rational behind hating Jose go to a poor Cubs team. Could care less about them and he wouldn’t be helping a World Series caliber team 

• Quin changed the title to Jose Abreu in Houston thread