Jose Abreu in Houston thread

Sleepy Harold

38 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Makes sense. The timing of both the Clevinger and Abreu signings were very close. 

I'd guess that all these offers were on the table (including Houston with Verlander) and the dominoes finally fell. Aka, this is our best and final Jose and he went with Houston. Which then led to the Sox announcing Clev, the Verlander meetings with NYM and LAD, etc. 

Houston came forward with a very good deal for Jose. He's not worth 3/59mm at this age. I love the guy and it's not my money so I can be salty as a Sox fan, but he's just not worth that price right now. The difference is the Astros are a well run orginization that can absorb $10-15mm of wasted money, the Sox are not. 

10 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I bet Jose wanted that extension before last season.  When he didn't get it I think that frustrated him and when he delivered again last year and didn't necessarily need them, he was done with the Sox.  

I agree, he was done with the Sox which was most likely the reason he asked to sit out the last game and remained quiet during the year about resigning.  He's a humble man That believes in respect.  He respected and appreciated the White sox for signing him and wanted some respect in return for the effort he gave them which he never got.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Why tho?  Were they really willing to back themselves into a corner on AV again?  I don't really buy it. 

For starters, its generally not good practice to let your best hitter walk. This is also a guy who our front office obviously has a ton of respect for so it would make total sense to me that they made an offer, even if it was a bad one.

Vaughn played 84 games in the OF last year, if they really felt he flat out couldn't do it I think they would have pulled the plug on it. It doesn't surprise me at all if they thought they could bring Abreu back and have Vaughn rotate through 1B, DH, and LF again.

1 hour ago, T R U said:

For starters, its generally not good practice to let your best hitter walk. This is also a guy who our front office obviously has a ton of respect for so it would make total sense to me that they made an offer, even if it was a bad one.

Vaughn played 84 games in the OF last year, if they really felt he flat out couldn't do it I think they would have pulled the plug on it. It doesn't surprise me at all if they thought they could bring Abreu back and have Vaughn rotate through 1B, DH, and LF again.

Well, that goes against pretty much everything we’ve been told. But yah, I guess I could see a lowball “respect” offer. But Hahn basically said Pito wasn’t coming back multiple times already this offseason. 

• Quin changed the title to Jose Abreu in Houston thread