Jose Abreu in Houston thread

Sleepy Harold

12 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Jose had a choice, either play for a team that offered you less money that will flirt with .500 or go and win a world series. The choice was obvious

By some accounts he had multiple offers from franchises more successful than us. Dropping off from HoF levels over the next couple seasons will still have him well above average in baseball. Plus he works his ass off, he's not going to just sit back and collect checks. 

• Thanks 2

I'm happy for Jose, he deserves to finish his career with a winning organization that wants to compete for WS championships.

I am also happy for Vaughn as now gets to play first base full time and hopefully the Sox can fix the two corner outfield positions. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 1

In the end it was the right decision to let jose go. 

Partly he is victim of the roster construction of rick and kenny, they drafted and traded for a ton of DH types in the last 5 years (eloy, burger, vaughn, collins, sheets) and at some point that roster needed some cleaning and jose just was the oldest and most expensive guy and at some point he will decline. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ron883 said:

@greg775 where you at? 

I'm here. U know what, nothing's been on my mind regarding the Sox. I'm just kind of mum waiting to see if the Sox add good pieces. ... I did have Covid. Wowsie. It was awful. And I'm double vaxxed, but Greg is OK, just nothing on my mind ... this proves I do not bait people; when I speak on an issue I truly am passionate about it. Rite now I gots nothing on my mind. Peace.

Edited by greg775

Just now, wegner said:

What is the deal with them offering Jose a contract?  I thought they had chosen to move on from him??  WTF is wrong with this front office??

My guess is JR made them make a token 1/$15M offer and if he accepted they’d have had to deal Eloy or AV. 

I just read this: "Precise terms of the deal weren't initially reported. But according to multiple reports, the contract will be for three years and roughly $60 million."

So Houston thinks he's worth that, a great organization like Houston!

A lot of Sox fans on here and the Sox front office sadden me over this situation. The Sox are a MUCH WORSE team after this signing. The Sox now are officially irrelevant. The guy is wanted by the Houston Astros but the Sox (and many Sox fans) don't even want him. Twenty fricking million a year. Very very sad day. I'm so sick of this franchise. Irrelevant team. 

So to the fans who wanted him gone. My ? to you: Why are the Houston Astros giving Jose 20 mill a year for three years? Cause he's guaranteed to hit and win? Uh yes.

• Fire 1

23 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

I know it made sense on paper to move on, but I wish he could have retired here. 

I disagree. It makes no sense to move on. Sox just got rid of their best ballplayer to the delight of ageists who think his decline is imminent. Uh, Houston is fine with Jose's upcoming age 36 season. The Sox have so many holes it makes me wonder if they are about to tank quietly again for a few years.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I disagree. It makes no sense to move on. Sox just got rid of their best ballplayer to the delight of ageists who think his decline is imminent. Uh, Houston is fine with Jose's upcoming age 36 season. The Sox have so many holes it makes me wonder if they are about to tank quietly again for a few years.

Abreu’s power numbers may be in decline, but the dude is a RBI machine. I hope Vaughn can replicate what Abreu did in his career and that the Sox can replace Abreu’s production with an actual outfielder they acquire. Clevinger can’t be their only addition this offseason with still so many holes to fill.

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Abreu will be 36 years old (at least) next season. He's getting absolutely paid. He will absolutely fall off by year 2 of it. That contract is horrible tbh. 

Edited by ron883

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Abreu’s power numbers may be in decline, but the dude is a RBI machine. I hope Vaughn can replicate what Abreu did in his career and that the Sox can replace Abreu’s production with an actual outfielder they acquire. Clevinger can’t be their only addition this offseason with still so many holes to fill.

I certainly hope Sox fans decline their season ticket purchases out of protest over this disgraceful move in letting Jose walk. Hit Jerry where it hurts. Andrew Vaughn is no Jose Abreu. He just isn't.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

It’s not ageist, greg. It’s about being up against the limit of what your owner is willing to set your payroll, and having your best hitting prospect waiting to replace and expensive piece that is clearly in decline. The only depth the team has is decent bats that play first base and low ceiling second base utility players. They can’t afford to commit significant resources to more players on those spots. 

• Quin changed the title to Jose Abreu in Houston thread