Sox Proudest Position

Texsox

It seems like teams have traditions, good and bad, at certain positions. The Packers have had great QBs, the Bears not so much. 

I'm thinking for the Sox it's first base. I'm hoping AV can be a worthy heir to the throne. Jose certainly added to the greatness during his tenor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

It seems like teams have traditions, good and bad, at certain positions. The Packers have had great QBs, the Bears not so much. 

I'm thinking for the Sox it's first base. I'm hoping AV can be a worthy heir to the throne. Jose certainly added to the greatness during his tenor. 

Shortstop has been pretty good, off the top of my head since 1952 we’ve had Carassquel, Aparicio twice, Hansen, Dent, Guillen, Valentine, Uribe, Ramirez and Anderson. Might have left off a few, we had some years that were pretty bad at short also.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Shortstop, Center Field and starting Pitching which has been a hallmark of this franchise since the beginning.

Hard for 1B not to be very high on that list. My Sox history isn’t as long as yours, but I am 32 and the Sox have had a legit 1B my entire life. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

1B has certainly been the most stable position since I've been around, I was born the night the O's spanked us 11-1 in the '83 ALCS. 

3 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

I am 89 days younger than you, and I agree that 1B has to be the pick here. 

If you are looking at the entire 100+ year history of the franchise it is starting pitching, shortstop and center field in whatever order you choose.

• Like 1

Every top 100 kind of list I've ever seen is reflective of the age of the respondents.  For the last 30 years, it's 1st base.

If you want to really consider legacy positions, I agree with Mighty Mite's list which begins with Chico Carasquell in 1952.  That list doesn't even include one of the  one of the all time greats: Luke Appling who was at short, (and then some third) for 20 years starting in 1931

So it's the better part of 90 years vs. the last 30 years

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

Every top 100 kind of list I've ever seen is reflective of the age of the respondents.  For the last 30 years, it's 1st base.

If you want to really consider legacy positions, I agree with Mighty Mite's list which begins with Chico Carasquell in 1952.  That list doesn't even include one of the  one of the all time greats: Luke Appling who was at short, (and then some third) for 20 years starting in 1931

And even if he was a Black Sox, Buck Weaver. Historically it goes to shortstop.

But Frank Thomas - Paul Konerko - Jose Abreu starting at first base from 1991 to 2022 is the absolute historical peak of any position (technically, Greg Norton started 1998 at 1B and Thomas at DH, but whatever). If Vaughn lives up to his potential, then first base begins to have an argument.

14 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

If you are looking at the entire 100+ year history of the franchise it is starting pitching, shortstop and center field in whatever order you choose.

Yeah, when you said that I was a little shocked to see CF on the list, went back and checked the Baseball Reference history, realized I don't know a whole lot about the 60's-70's White Sox. 

2 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Yeah, when you said that I was a little shocked to see CF on the list, went back and checked the Baseball Reference history, realized I don't know a whole lot about the 60's-70's White Sox. 

The Sox have had excellent center fielders going back to the days of "Happy" Felsch.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:25 AM, gogosox1959 said:

I'm old and wanted to put Appling on my SS list but I never saw Luke play and I'm not THAT old. 

4 hours ago, JoshPR said:

1st most likely. From my time. Spencer, Squiers, Walker, Frank, Konerko, Abreu and before Spencer Richie Allen

I always thought that Walker was going to be maybe a superstar especially with that sweet swing of his but it was not to be and then he had a seizure in 1988 just about ending his career.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I always thought that Walker was going to be maybe a superstar especially with that sweet swing of his but it was not to be and then he had a seizure in 1988 just about ending his career.

He wasn't bad with the Sox though:

December 4, 1979 - The Sox claimed first baseman Greg Walker from the Phillies in the Major League draft. Walker would make the big club for good in 1983 and have three seasons with at least 24 home runs and two years with at least 90 RBI’s.

He’d then eventually become the Sox hitting coach after retiring.

I happened to be in Chicago on the day he had his seizure, remember listening to Chet Coppock's radio show where he had doctors on explaining what they thought happened to him.

Starting Pitching, followed by defensive shortstops.

Pitchers park and low scoring games for nine decades at Comiskey Park called for these strengths. Beuhrle and Sale have continued this tradition being two of their top four players over the past 30 years at the hitter’s park (Thomas and Ventura the hitters).

Top Ten White Sox Career bWAR

1. SS Luke Appling 77.6
  2. 1B Frank Thomas 68.3
  3. SP Red Faber 67.7
  4. 2B Eddie Collins 67.0
  5. SP Ted Lyons 66.8
  6. SP Ed Walsh 63.9
  7. SP Wilbur Wood 51.8
  8. SP Eddie Cicotte 50.0
  9. SP Billy Pierce 49.3
  10. SP Mark Buehrle 48.9

Guillen, Aparicio and Carrasquel were solid defensive shortstops in addition to Luke Appling. These four covered 49 seasons of White Sox baseball.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

18 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He wasn't bad with the Sox though:

December 4, 1979 - The Sox claimed first baseman Greg Walker from the Phillies in the Major League draft. Walker would make the big club for good in 1983 and have three seasons with at least 24 home runs and two years with at least 90 RBI’s.

He’d then eventually become the Sox hitting coach after retiring.

I happened to be in Chicago on the day he had his seizure, remember listening to Chet Coppock's radio show where he had doctors on explaining what they thought happened to him.

Lip this was during batting practice correct?