Winker Available ?

Chin Music

Long time viewer, posted once in 9 years during the Q trade talks and this thought is only conjecture.  I listen to MLB Network on XM while awake during the season. Listening today on XM, I heard Ferrin mention the Mariners were looking for a LHB as an OF. This reminded me of an interview with Dipoto probably after the playoffs where he mentioned something to the effect of, Winker was having a difficult time adjusting to Seattle or to the team. I just glanced to locate the info and read something similar but not specifically what I’m confident I heard (Dipoto, CYA). If the Mariners are looking for a LHB OFer, why ?  Because he wasn’t a fit w/ the team, maybe won't be ready for 2023 ?  They already have Haggerty, Trammell and Winker as LHB OFer’s (Kelenic not even included in the LHB mix as Mariners may offer him as trade bait as he’s not ready and this is their window). As RHB they now have Teoscar locked in 1 OF spot.

Played ball in college and baseball is my only passion so hopefully my Christmas wish, worst case is someone from the F.O. reads Sox Talk as if his health will be ok by spring training (not a Kelly, “he’ll be fine by June 1st”), make an offer, it may not take as much if we get ahead of the game, a bargain for 8 mil for 2023 only, of course depending on his physical ?  Career .375 OBP off his worst year .344 and worth the gamble for a bounce back year. BTW, we know on the cheap is the Sox M.O. but this I can handle.

• Like 2

I'd take him as a DH. 

I wouldn't want him as anything more than a 5th OF though. 

We have flyball pitchers, we need to field a competent OF in 2023.  I'd take either of the FA lottery tickets that can catch the ball (Gallo, Bellinger) over Jesse if it meant he was playing 150 games in LF.  

I just worry about your larger point: if they need a lefty stick in the OF, why isn’t he good enough for them?

They may not know what they have and there may be something about that clubhouse or city that doesn’t sit with him, but I think oftentimes the team that has the player has the most information, and this may be a case where there’s a good reason they want to move on from him, given he provides something they feel like they need. Could be a maturity issue, a long-term health issue, or that they think his defense is so bad that the bat isn’t worth it. Certainly it’s possible that a change of scenery or better coaching could fix any of that, but I think it’s more than fair to be skeptical of White Sox and clubhouse dynamics to do better than Seattle.

Like the first on paper, but I’m wary because I agree with you: something seems fishy

Obviously my initial comment is now moot but as I mentioned, I thought something was up w/ Winker and was available.  I still thought being an LH OF, he IS an OF unlike Vaughn and Sheets and even though his D metrics were not great, he will have a bounceback year offensively and for 8 mil, fit JR'S requirements.  With the previous comments by some, my question to all Sox fans, who would be your primary OF target now ?  

7 minutes ago, Chin Music said:

Obviously my initial comment is now moot but as I mentioned, I thought something was up w/ Winker and was available.  I still thought being an LH OF, he IS an OF unlike Vaughn and Sheets and even though his D metrics were not great, he will have a bounceback year offensively and for 8 mil, fit JR'S requirements.  With the previous comments by some, my question to all Sox fans, who would be your primary OF target now ?  

You mean besides Aaron Judge? All the usual suspects of which we are wasting our time talking about. Maybe I am cynical, but I think they are all in on Colas, and that’s that.

1 minute ago, Chick Mercedes said:

You mean besides Aaron Judge? All the usual suspects of which we are wasting our time talking about. Maybe I am cynical, but I think they are all in on Colas, and that’s that.

Even if they’re still thinking of Eloy and Sheets in LF and DH, they still need someone to replace Engel.

• Like 1