What should the club do about catcher?

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, bmags said:

He said they should draft catchers not first baseman and DHs

Drafting catchers high is boom or bust. Mostly bust. They need to sign a good handler of pitchers and glove guy to be a back up. See where they are in sp;ring. If Yaz is looking a lot better, trade Seby. If Yaz is toast, eat the contract, but sign a back up glove guy before then.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They should shoot Grandal into the sun and sign a guy. Any guy.

I’m on board with this plan. Grandal can’t catch and he can’t run anymore. All he does is walk and hits an occasional home run. Plus he slow as molasses and he clogs up the bases. Release him and eat the money. 

38 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Catchers are always over drafted in the 1st round.  They should draft a college catcher every year in the 3rd-7th round.  Every. Year. That's where the majority of them come from.  The very least they should do this year is take Drew Millas in the rule 5 draft.  

Absolutely. I mean, instead of rando floor oriented college pitcher every time, try a catcher once in awhile. Or a high school kid. I like what Mike Shirley has been doing however.

I don’t know they’re doing signing international catchers, but I see a couple guys in the system with some juice.  Hell its all a crapshoot.  Im just riding all the first baseman and DHs like whipped mules until they leave and people stop projecting Sheets in the outfield 

Edited by Chick Mercedes

55 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Drafting catchers high is boom or bust. Mostly bust. They need to sign a good handler of pitchers and glove guy to be a back up. See where they are in sp;ring. If Yaz is looking a lot better, trade Seby. If Yaz is toast, eat the contract, but sign a back up glove guy before then.

Carlos Perez is good

• Like 2

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Nothing. They still have a top 10 catching duo and limited funds. Grandal post knee surgery and rehab should be better. Hahn made this bed...he can sleep in it.

Agreed.  If Grandal were on another team, we would be clamoring to acquire him in the hope he bounces back.  Yaz has been so, so, so unbelievably good over the past decade you have to get him to June and hope he reverts to form.  At that point if it is a repeat of '22 you can safely cut bait and go with Sevy/Perez.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Nothing. They still have a top 10 catching duo and limited funds. Grandal post knee surgery and rehab should be better. Hahn made this bed...he can sleep in it.

I wouldn’t call it top 10, at least not as catchers.  Grandal is still awful behind the plate, but he is a sunk cost and we know they care more about cost savings than they do improving from outside the org.  So we’ll get the same expensive awful half the time and decent the other.  We just have to hope that Seby is the actual starter and  Yaz the backup contract be damned. 

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He might be, but I wouldn't count on a rookie catcher if you are trying to win. Someone will eventually get hurt, and he'll have his opportunity. In fact, Yaz and Seby probably both will be gone by 2024, so I would work Perez in slowly.

I agree with this but that's why I don't want them to sign another catcher.

I would have DFA’d Yaz sometime in the past year if it were up to me and my owner wanted to pay for a winner.  He would not have made it past the last month of 2022 that’s for damn sure.  But I haven’t even given replacement options any thought because I know it isn’t happening.  Yaz is going play if even remotely healthy, we just have to live with whatever he gives you good and bad.