What should the club do about catcher?

Chisoxfn

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, Quin said:

Trade for James McCann, obviously.

I wouldn’t be against this as it would mean that the Sox would be getting some good prospect capital coming their way if they take on a lot of his salary.

Id hope the Sox sign a veteran backup like Tucker Barnhart who’s solid at calling games and hits from the left side. 

Edited by Joshua Strong

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I’m extreeeemely team see what you have. Zavala was much better than I expected, Perez can hit the upside too. 

Barnhart had a 64 wRC+ v lefties and 62 vs righties. My mans, Carlos Perez can match that.

Agreed. I actually didn’t even realize Seby had as good of a season as he did. 

On the Benitendi podcast, Garffein indicated they interviewed Grandal and are releasing the interview next week.  Made it sound like it was revalatory/news worthy.  Maybe he was dealing with something fixable???  Might provide insight into plans or maybe it is nothing and Chuck was pumping his podcast.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

On the Benitendi podcast, Garffein indicated they interviewed Grandal and are releasing the interview next week.  Made it sound like it was revalatory/news worthy.  Maybe he was dealing with something fixable???  Might provide insight into plans or maybe it is nothing and Chuck was pumping his podcast.

In the same podcast he was throwing out signing Hosmer and Andrus for second base. 

8 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Grandal probably talks about his training sessions with Paul Goodman and how he’s in great shape now. 

Carlos Perez had 40 k’s in 418 ab last year in charlotte last year and then only 7 k’s in 159 ab in the Venezuelan league this offseason. That to go along with good power and by all accounts solid defense will play if we need another catcher to replace yaz this season. I think our resources need to be spent elsewhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bighurt4life said:

Carlos Perez had 40 k’s in 418 ab last year in charlotte last year and then only 7 k’s in 159 ab in the Venezuelan league this offseason. That to go along with good power and by all accounts solid defense will play if we need another catcher to replace yaz this season. I think our resources need to be spent elsewhere. 

@bmags,

Can you provide us with a solid scouting report of Perez’s defense?  I know we can look up vague scouting reports elsewhere, but I want to hear from someone who has watched him a lot. What are his strengths/weaknesses in terms of framing, blocking, arm strength, arm accuracy, etc. 

(Feel free to do offense also, if you’re up for it.)

Edited by SoxBlanco

43 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

@bmags,

Can you provide us with a solid scouting report of Perez’s defense?  I know we can look up vague scouting reports elsewhere, but I want to hear from someone who has watched him a lot. What are his strengths/weaknesses in terms of framing, blocking, arm strength arm accuracy, etc. 

I know you asked for the opposite, but this a pretty decent article on him.

https://www.soxon35th.com/who-is-new-white-sox-catcher-carlos-perez/

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2022 at 7:55 AM, SoxBlanco said:

@bmags,

Can you provide us with a solid scouting report of Perez’s defense?  I know we can look up vague scouting reports elsewhere, but I want to hear from someone who has watched him a lot. What are his strengths/weaknesses in terms of framing, blocking, arm strength, arm accuracy, etc. 

I wish, I mostly just get to follow @DirtySox on minor league nights while i get my kids ready for bed.

Defensively I'm not sure I could evaluate a catcher either, mostly just notice when things go bad.

However, I have tried to find this answer and it feels like getting defensive evaluations out of scout writers for catcher is like pulling teeth.

I emailed BA after a prospect writeup with Perez where the only defensive mention was that the sox liked his defense asking for their own evaluation. They responded "the piece mentions the sox thinking his defense plays" and I responded that the sox said that about Zach Collins and they never responded.

The early writeups on his defense when he was 17-18 all mentioned it as a strength, now it's hardly mentioned, which probably means its average but could be worse.

As I mentioned earlier, there was some reports with Cueto down there that it dramatically improved Perez's game calling, which may mean it was bad and may be why he's passed over a lot in getting time up here.

He was much better holding runners before AAA, routinely at 40% or above, now at just 28% in AAA. However, that may be a sign that the new pick-off rules may really pressure catchers.

To be honest, this may be a reason sox freaked out and went after Murphy. If Michael kopech lets anyone on they will be on third base. 

Passed Balls look fine, but a lot of catchers that are bad at passed balls look fine if you only look at stats.

So basically I have no idea what we'll get. Usually defense for catchers is mentioned when they are bad hitters or truly good at it or a top prospect. Perez is in that murky middle, and when we only have notes from the white sox, it's never good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I wish, I mostly just get to follow @DirtySox on minor league nights while i get my kids ready for bed.

Defensively I'm not sure I could evaluate a catcher either, mostly just notice when things go bad.

However, I have tried to find this answer and it feels like getting defensive evaluations out of scout writers for catcher is like pulling teeth.

I emailed BA after a prospect writeup with Perez where the only defensive mention was that the sox liked his defense asking for their own evaluation. They responded "the piece mentions the sox thinking his defense plays" and I responded that the sox said that about Zach Collins and they never responded.

The early writeups on his defense when he was 17-18 all mentioned it as a strength, now it's hardly mentioned, which probably means its average but could be worse.

As I mentioned earlier, there was some reports with Cueto down there that it dramatically improved Perez's game calling, which may mean it was bad and may be why he's passed over a lot in getting time up here.

He was much better holding runners before AAA, routinely at 40% or above, now at just 28% in AAA. However, that may be a sign that the new pick-off rules may really pressure catchers.

To be honest, this may be a reason sox freaked out and went after Murphy. If Michael kopech lets anyone on they will be on third base. 

Passed Balls look fine, but a lot of catchers that are bad at passed balls look fine if you only look at stats.

So basically I have no idea what we'll get. Usually defense for catchers is mentioned when they are bad hitters or truly good at it or a top prospect. Perez is in that murky middle, and when we only have notes from the white sox, it's never good.

Phenomenal response. Much appreciated.