• Assistant Hitting Coach: Chris Johnson
  • First Base Coach: Daryl Boston
  • Third Base Coach: Eddie Rodríguez
  • Major League Field Coordinator: Mike Tosar
  • Senior Director of Sports Performance: Geoff Head

Only Daryl Boston back other than Katz-Hasler

Edited by gogosox1959
fixed spelling

Castro, 64, enters his first season as a major-league hitting coach after serving as the assistant hitting coach with the Atlanta Braves for the last eight years. He was part of the Braves coaching staff that won the World Series in 2021. A native of La Habana, Cuba, Castro has nine years of coaching experience in the majors (2015–22 with Atlanta and 2014 with the Chicago Cubs, as quality assurance coach). He also served as the interim hitting coach with the Seattle Mariners in 2008. After retiring as a player in 1990, Castro spent 24 seasons as a minor league hitting instructor in the Montreal Expos (1990–91, 2002–03), Florida Marlins (1992–2001), San Diego Padres (2003–07) and Mariners (2008–13) organizations. He played 14 seasons in the minor leagues, including four in the White Sox system (1982–85).

Rodríguez, 63, begins his first season as the White Sox third-base coach after spending three seasons (2020–22) as Kansas City’s minor-league field coordinator. Among his 40 years of professional coaching experience, Rodríguez has served as the Royals third base coach (2011–13), Seattle’s first base coach (2008), Frank Robinson’s bench coach in Montreal (2004) and Washington (2005–06), Arizona’s third base (2002–03) and first base coach (2001) and Toronto’s third base coach (1998). After retiring as a player Rodríguez began his coaching career with a 15-year stint in the Angels’ organization from 1983–97.

Tosar, 54, enters his first season as the White Sox major-league field coordinator following three seasons (2020–22) as a special assignment hitting coach in the Kansas City organization. During his tenure in the Royals system, he worked with Bobby Witt Jr., Kyle Isbel, MJ Melendez, Ryan O’Hearn and Edward Olivares. Tosar previously served as an international scout and special assignment hitting coach with the Dodgers (2012–19), scout and minor-league coach in the Seattle organization (2006–09), hitting coach in the Minnesota organization (2002), scout with the Florida Marlins (2000–01), and coach in the Tampa Bay system (1996–99).

I really don't care about who is coaching 1st base.  I'm much more concerned with who the hitting coach is.  And the baserunning coach.  And who focuses on defense.  And having a competent coach at 3rd who will make less bonehead decisions than we've seen in the past is more important.  As far as Boston being retained...yawn.  I'm not angry about it.  I just don't really care.

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Daryl led the outfield and base running instruction which should be reason enough to dismiss him as we didn't fare to well in either.

I would suggest that no one could have coached Eloy, AV, or Sheets into being major league outfielders.  Baserunning is something else and they took that away from him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gogosox1959 said:

I would suggest that no one could have coached Eloy, AV, or Sheets into being major league outfielders.  Baserunning is something else and they took that away from him.

I totally agree with the first part, however when you're at a game observe the other teams first base coach who are constantly in the runners ear giving instructions. Then compare that to Daryl who basically collects the pads and gives the runner a pat on the ass.  Isn't a first base coach there to give the runner on first base running instructions, as opposed to outfield instruction? The base running coach should be the first base coach not an outfield coach.  It may not seem important to some, however I disagree and we sure didn't look too good on the bases last year running into outs that should have been avoided.  You can't see this on TV, but if your at the game sitting on the first base side it's pretty obvious.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
Add
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

agreed.

If anything it probably was an outsized used of resources to constantly try to coach them, despite the fact that all the coaching in the world could only do so much and I fully believe it ended up having a detrimental impact on other aspects of the game. I know for a fact Vaughn had to spend a lot of time on non hitting related items, both in the off-season and than how he maintained his body etc during the season and how the mental side of being in that spot certainly had impacts on his ability to be the best pure hitter and ultimately maintain over a full season.