COACHING STAFF ANNOUNCED

gogosox1959

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I would say he's staying, mainly because he's JR's and TLR's boi and they owe it to papa Duncan.

Plus some playing experience and about ten years of coaching experience. But like Katz influential pals help. 

44 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I've never heard of the position before. Seems like it was made up to create a promotion for Tosar instead of a lateral move.

Several teams have someone with the title.  I understood the Tosar "promotion" for the reason you stated.  Castro also needed a "promotion.", but Chris Johnson being brought up makes 3 hitting coaches.  Looks like the front office is serious about fixing the offense.

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I've never heard of the position before. Seems like it was made up to create a promotion for Tosar instead of a lateral move.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Several teams have someone with the title.  I understood the Tosar "promotion" for the reason you stated.  Castro also needed a "promotion.", but Chris Johnson being brought up makes 3 hitting coaches.  Looks like the front office is serious about fixing the offense.

If you can, give this a read from Feagan: https://theathletic.com/3950274/2022/11/29/jose-abreu-arrives-in-houston-white-sox/

Speaking with reporters via a video call, Grifol stipulated that Tosar shouldn’t not be thought of as a hitting coach.

“It’s almost probably a two-and-a-half-headed monster when it comes to the hitting,” said Grifol, who said Tosar once interviewed for an infield coordinator job with another team. “I just didn’t want to make him a hitting coach because he’s got a lot of value to the bunting game, he’s got a lot of value to base running. Certainly, he’s got a lot of value to hitting and infield. We’re going to use these guys maybe in a different way than most teams use it — I’m not sure what other teams are doing. But we’ve got some versatility on this staff, and we’ll cross-pollinate at some point every day when it comes to our staff members."

23 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Has there been any mention of a revamped analytics department?  I know Grifol has said he embraces the data, just curious if they cleaned house there too and can’t remember either way. 

I don’t believe so.  I believe Hahn did come out and quell the notion a bit that we have the smallest analytics department by saying they contract out that work a ton.  Not sure it meaningfully changed the narrative, but that’s about the only thing I’ve heard in recent about our analytics function.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

Has there been any mention of a revamped analytics department?  I know Grifol has said he embraces the data, just curious if they cleaned house there too and can’t remember either way. 

It's very possible that the analytics people were doing valuable work and were just being ignored. Don't necessarily have to clean house.

53 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

It's very possible that the analytics people were doing valuable work and were just being ignored. Don't necessarily have to clean house.

I mean, the analytics coordinator was Shelly Duncan, who got the job because he was the son of LaRussa's longtime pitching coach. So yes, if they want anything valuable out of that department, yes they do have to clean some people out.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, the analytics coordinator was Shelly Duncan, who got the job because he was the son of LaRussa's longtime pitching coach. So yes, if they want anything valuable out of that department, yes they do have to clean some people out.

Well, he's gone.  So there's that. 

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

That is true.  I probably just assumed that it was either non-existent or filled with lackeys because Duncan obviously wasn't an analytics person.  Either way, I hope who ever is there now actually knows and cares about what they are doing.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Duncan wasn’t part of our analytics function.  

Regardless, I don’t think the problem is our analytics staff is bad at their job, but rather are too small and likely being under-utilized in our various decision-making processes.

His job title was literally analytics coordinator.

On 11/30/2022 at 12:48 PM, ShoeLessRob said:

His job title was literally analytics coordinator.

He was the guy in the dugout supposed to be coordinating with the actual analytics function on how to use them for in-game decision-making.  He was not the guy crunching the numbers or saying how we should use them for roster decisions is my point.

Good article from Fegan on Tosar, who will definitely will be involved with the hitting but will be more of a jacks of all trade type of guy.  Sounds like his focus will be ensuring the guys are prepared to play on a daily basis.  I know many of us have accused our players are not being ready and not doing their homework and it sounds like that will change under this coaching staff.  Very excited to see what Grifol and staff can do next year.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Good article from Fegan on Tosar, who will definitely will be involved with the hitting but will be more of a jacks of all trade type of guy.  Sounds like his focus will be ensuring the guys are prepared to play on a daily basis.  I know many of us have accused our players are not being ready and not doing their homework and it sounds like that will change under this coaching staff.  Very excited to see what Grifol and staff can do next year.

Also should be a fun start to pitching in the minors. Macdougal is back, Pallette arrives, and Schultz gets first non backfield work. 

• Like 1