Rule 5 draft preview

bmags

Sorry non subs.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2022-major-league-baseball-rule-5-draft-preview-version-20/

Sox really should use rule 5. One thing we’ve seen is teams being more ok with selecting and just returning the players (and sometimes getting to keep them). 

Bring a guy in with a new staff, have him compete with the shitty FA veteran we sign.

My interest:

Kam Misner- Mizzou, lefty, power, athleticism…hit tool so bad it’s very likely he’s worse than mark Payton.

But anyway this is my pick

Nic Enright, RHP, Guardians

Enright is one of the most polished available relievers in this year’s Rule 5 class. He has plenty of upper-level MiLB experience, with over 100 innings and more than 70 appearances in Double-A and Triple-A, and he has a lengthy track record of success. He posted a 2.88 ERA with a .203 opponent batting average, 1.9 BB/9, 11.9 K/9 and a 2.89 FIP in 2022. Enright has a pair of above-average pitches to work with. His low-90s fastball has modest velocity, but it has some of the best carry in the minors, which makes it a bat-misser that he can dot the zone with. His low-80s slider generates plenty of swings and misses as well, and serves as an excellent chase pitch when he gets ahead in counts. With excellent fastball life and plus control, Enright could be a relatively low-risk addition to a big league bullpen as a Rule 5 pick.

58 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Drew Millas.  Switch hitter who should hit enough and a very good defensive catcher.  I understand that's an unfamiliar profile for the Sox as they prefer their catchers to not be able to hit or catch.  Millas would instantly be the best catcher in the system (low bar). 

We have the 3rd highest wRC+ from the catcher spot over the last five years and that’s including Grandal’s horrible 2022 season.  From 2018 to 2021 we actually rank #1 overall.

• Like 1
  • Fire 5

I feel like @Flash will like this guy

Blake Sabol, OF/C, Pirates 

Sabol is a lefty hitter with above-average power and a potentially average hit tool who has reached Triple-A. If he was only a corner outfielder, that probably wouldn’t be enough to make him a potential Rule 5 target. But Sabol has long been a hybrid. He’s a catcher/outfielder, which is the role he filled at Southern California as well. Defensively, he’s limited enough at catcher that it’s hard to see him as a regular there or even a No. 2 catcher, but a team looking for a lefty with some pop who could play in the corner outfield spots, DH and serve as a No. 3 catcher could be intrigued.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We have the 3rd highest wRC+ from the catcher spot over the last five years and that’s including Grandal’s horrible 2022 season.  From 2018 to 2021 we actually rank #1 overall.

Yeah, but but but. He doesn’t respond to facts. 

• Like 1

probably worth mentioning that the last time we were using the rule 5 was when we were ostensibly competing and had bad depth in AAA so yes I would expect it to be used. Probably would have in 2020/21 if not for it not existing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Sorry non subs.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2022-major-league-baseball-rule-5-draft-preview-version-20/

Sox really should use rule 5. One thing we’ve seen is teams being more ok with selecting and just returning the players (and sometimes getting to keep them). 

Bring a guy in with a new staff, have him compete with the shitty FA veteran we sign.

My interest:

Kam Misner- Mizzou, lefty, power, athleticism…hit tool so bad it’s very likely he’s worse than mark Payton.

But anyway this is my pick

Nic Enright, RHP, Guardians

Enright is one of the most polished available relievers in this year’s Rule 5 class. He has plenty of upper-level MiLB experience, with over 100 innings and more than 70 appearances in Double-A and Triple-A, and he has a lengthy track record of success. He posted a 2.88 ERA with a .203 opponent batting average, 1.9 BB/9, 11.9 K/9 and a 2.89 FIP in 2022. Enright has a pair of above-average pitches to work with. His low-90s fastball has modest velocity, but it has some of the best carry in the minors, which makes it a bat-misser that he can dot the zone with. His low-80s slider generates plenty of swings and misses as well, and serves as an excellent chase pitch when he gets ahead in counts. With excellent fastball life and plus control, Enright could be a relatively low-risk addition to a big league bullpen as a Rule 5 pick.

That reliever sounds good to me