Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

Meetings start this Sunday and go through Wednesday.  Typically, most trade activity happens Monday & Tuesday, but a couple of specific dates worth mentioning:

• Draft Lottery => Tuesday @ 7:30pm (MLB Network)
  • Rule 5 Draft => Wednesday (time / viewing options unclear)

Figured we should have a dedicated thread for predictions and miscellaneous rumors that aren’t standalone worthy.  I’ll post my own predictions shortly.

Here are my predictions:

Free Agents:

• OF Adam Duvall = 1/$6M

Trades:

• 3B Bryan Ramos, UT Romy Gonzalez, & RHP Matthew Thompson to TB for 2B Brandon Lowe
  • CL Liam Hendriks & OF Luis Mieses to LAD for RHP Ryan Pepiot & OF James Outman

Rule 5 Draft:

• No one selected in major league phase

Draft Lottery:

• The White Sox snag the final spot and will get to draft 6th overall
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here are my predictions:

Free Agents:

• OF Adam Duvall = 1/$6M

Trades:

• 3B Bryan Ramos, UT Romy Gonzalez, & RHP Matthew Thompson to TB for 2B Brandon Lowe
  • CL Liam Hendriks & OF Luis Mieses to LAD for RHP Ryan Pepiot & OF James Outman

Rule 5 Draft:

Draft Lottery:

Who is this Outman guy  you're trading Hendriks for ?

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am expecting a big trade this WM. 

Yeah, and I'm leaning toward Hendriks to the Dodgers for Outman, possibly,  I'd like to see them use a Hendriks trade to free up money while grabbing a good prospect or two.  Then use that money to get a big bat that can play the OF.

15 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, and I'm leaning toward Hendriks to the Dodgers for Outman, possibly,  I'd like to see them use a Hendriks trade to free up money while grabbing a good prospect or two.  Then use that money to get a big bat that can play the OF.

I am in less of a hurry to trade our best reliever than others seem to be. Liams $14M is not exactly handicapping this team. If they turned around and signed Nimmo I could perhaps get behind it, but feels very robbing Peter to pay Paul. I certainly would want a lot more than a 26 YO outfielder who isn’t that highly regarded. Outman would be a solid secondary piece in that deal.  

That said, Liam’s elbow does concern me some and with what relief arms have gone for so far and there being no elite closers available, if you can get a nice package for him that solves other needs, it’d be hard to say no. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here are my predictions:

Free Agents:

• OF Adam Duvall = 1/$6M

Trades:

Rule 5 Draft:

Draft Lottery:

Really clinging to that Sox are maxed out bit, eh? Would that essentially be the offseason in your mind? That would result in Sox slashing payroll $25-30M from 2022. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Who is this Outman guy  you're trading Hendriks for ?

He’s a throw-in with Pepiot as the centerpiece 😉

But my plan would be to add a placeholder LF in either Brantley or Gallo or preferably Conforto if Jerry is feeling extra jolly this holiday season.  That way Outman is more of a depth piece than being relied on immediately.

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s a throw-in with Pepiot as the centerpiece 😉

But my plan would be to add a placeholder LF in either Brantley or Gallo or preferably Conforto if Jerry is feeling extra jolly this holiday season.  That way Outman is more of a depth piece than being relied on immediately.

I was thinking that you would tell me Pepiot was the centerpiece !

I think Colas and Outman are ready to rock and roll. They both might have 30%+ K rates but I'll take the defense and power since they will both be facing RHP the majority of times they bat. Extra money for the pitching staff.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here are my predictions:

Free Agents:

• OF Adam Duvall = 1/$6M

Trades:

Rule 5 Draft:

Draft Lottery:

I'd absolutely do that Lowe trade.  Duvall would be interesting since we solved 2B permanently.  I can live with Hendriks IF we spent his money... It doesn't appear we have here so maybe we have another 8 or so to spend? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Really clinging to that Sox are maxed out bit, eh? Would that essentially be the offseason in your mind? That would result in Sox slashing payroll $25-30M from 2022. 

No, I'd have us adding an everyday LF as well, but I don't think that will happen until we clear some payroll first (with the Hendriks trade needing to happen first).  My plan right now assumes a total cash payroll of ~$185M including buy-outs / dead money ($7.7M).  Under that assumption, I'd be looking at adding Brantley (who I went with) or Gallo to play LF with Outman more as a AAA depth piece / insurance plan.   If the buy-outs / dead money can be excluded, then I'd target Conforto for LF instead (who I expect to be in the $14M-16M range) and look at adding another cheap reliever.  The other move I have is trading Jake Burger for additional depth, in this case to the MIL for Robert Gasser.

Not the sexiest of off-season plans and I'd rather anchor off someone more impactful like Nimmo, but I don't see that happening based on what's been signaled.  Ultimately, I like the SP depth considerably more under this plan with Pepiot & Gasser added on top of Martin & Burke.  I think the OF defense is significantly better even with an aging Brantley in LF (he was slightly positive last year in terms of DRS).  I think Duvall is a perfect 4th OF as he's actually strong defender at all three spots and can hit LHP well.  Again, I'd rather have an impact player, but trying to balance my approach with what I assuming are the financial realities.  Still hoping for Conforto for LF somehow.

I have this as a 93 win team assuming normalized health and I don't think any of the these projections are all that ridiculous.  I think the reality is our core guys should be much better next year and moving Vaughn & Eloy to 1B & DH respectively helps in many ways.  The bullpen is the biggest risk, but at some point Crochet should be back, Pepiot has the arm to move to a higher leverage role, and you can always trade for reinforcements.

2023 Roster v1.PNG

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd absolutely do that Lowe trade.  Duvall would be interesting since we solved 2B permanently.  I can live with Hendriks IF we spent his money... It doesn't appear we have here so maybe we have another 8 or so to spend? 

See my full plan below...this was just what I think can get done next week.  I think we need to free up some money before signing another OF.

I think the twins will be one of the more interesting teams to watch. Falvey has had success but I think a lot will ride on this year because there doesn't seem like there is much after it.

Other teams I'm interested in:

- Not sure what Marlins are this year

- Not sure what Dbacks are this year