Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Things are never worse than you thought they were going to be.  Stop kidding yourself. 

Last year I expected 85-88 wins and I thought that was super pessimistic. They won 81 and the entire offense sucked. While I thought it was possible that the offense could be worse than most on ST expected, I didn't expect everyone except Abreu to take a giant crap on the plate. 

In 2021 I really was checked out after TLR, Eloy and Robert. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, Quin said:

2023 Season -  

Padres: Colas ROY, Giolito Top 5 Cy Young Voting, Crochet either stretched out into a starter or stabilizes the Padres bullpen, Montgomery ends year as #1 prospect. Face Jose Abreu in the World Series.

White Sox: Tatis runs into Eloy Jimenez on a routine fly ball, both are out 6 months.

Lol this would totally happen. 

If the White Sox trade Liam Hendriks to the Dodgers and you don't get Busch or Stone back, why even bother?

And if the answer is that Hendriks doesn't have that kind of value, then why not just trade Graveman instead (for a lesser return, but still clears money)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

If the White Sox trade Liam Hendriks to the Dodgers and you don't get Busch or Stone back, why even bother?

And if the answer is that Hendriks doesn't have that kind of value, then why not just trade Graveman instead (for a lesser return, but still clears money)?

Because the Dodgers have other pieces that could help us

Salvy would be a much needed presence that demands things lacking on this team like "paying attention during the baseball game" though. The "setting an example by paying attention while half the team is not paying attention" wasn't working, imo.

His contract is not good, but if we didn't have that contract, it's true we could sign  a redemption fifth starter with that money. Or a 30+ year old slap hitting infielder. Or an outfielder who can only hit one site of a platoon.

These are tough tough calls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Salvy would be a much needed presence that demands things lacking on this team like "paying attention during the baseball game" though. The "setting an example by paying attention while half the team is not paying attention" wasn't working, imo.

His contract is not good, but if we didn't have that contract, it's true we could sign  a redemption fifth starter with that money. Or a 30+ year old slap hitting infielder. Or an outfielder who can only hit one site of a platoon.

These are tough tough calls.

Why don’t we give the new coaching staff a chance to hold players accountable before acquiring a player with a bad contract to do so?  I get our spending has been bad and I’m not overly optimistic it will get much better anytime soon, but eating up 10% or more of our payroll space for the next three years on Perez seems like a crazy thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1