Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If it were me, I'd be imagining roughly equal time for Grandal and Seby, with Perez filling in as needed, and I think there's a good chance that's an average catching pair.

It's not what the White Sox are paying $18 million for, but that needs to be treated as a sunk cost. If you add extra money behind the plate, how much better than an average catching position is that going to make them?

I would DFA him, but I know it's not happening.  In my mind being the backup gives him the best chance to remain healthy and limits the potential for him to hurt the team while playing.  I'm fine with however the split shakes out, as long as his contract doesn't automatically make him the starter on most days.

I pretty much can see a Vaughn+ headliner in a deal for Murphy.  Sox do some form of a a committe, plus cheaper 1B approach. Hopefully they still than have a couple more moves in OF. Sign a Brantley and Benintendi (or trade for someone) and than maybe they go with Frazier on a 1yr deal with an option for 2nd year.  

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

If we were to chase a young A's position player I would rather it be Seth Brown.

By all means I don't have any issues with Brown - but he is 30. Cost controlled though.  But he hasn't hit for average or a massive amount of power. That said - he may benefit from playing at a smaller park. He is a lefty though - so right price and put him in right situations and you get something decent, but I would aim higher.  

14 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I pretty much can see a Vaughn+ headliner in a deal for Murphy.  Sox do some form of a a committe, plus cheaper 1B approach. Hopefully they still than have a couple more moves in OF. Sign a Brantley and Benintendi (or trade for someone) and than maybe they go with Frazier on a 1yr deal with an option for 2nd year.  

I don't know why Oakland would trade 3 years of Murphy for 4 years of Vaughn. They want prospects. 

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

By all means I don't have any issues with Brown - but he is 30. Cost controlled though.  But he hasn't hit for average or a massive amount of power. That said - he may benefit from playing at a smaller park. He is a lefty though - so right price and put him in right situations and you get something decent, but I would aim higher.  

He'd also be a lot cheaper and cover our needs better.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd much rather have Degrom at his contract then Verlander's.

I would take Verlander for sure, even for the extra millions on the front end.  The dude basically has no injury history outside of the one TJS, and gives you 200 innings no matter what.

• Like 3

Just now, fathom said:

Absolutely, love that guy

Nick Madrigal if he was left handed and actually stayed on the field. 

I looked at his defensive numbers at 2B, they're not bad. You can play him in the OF too. He's basically Adam Frazier if his one good half in 2021 wasn't a complete fluke. 

• Like 2