Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Looove Trea Turner.  I wonder how this will age once his speed goes.

Maybe he has a leg injury sometime soon, but based on his last few years I feel like I can just write the number "6" in his baserunning column on Fangraphs for 2023 and expect I will be pretty darn accurate. Seems like he's doing the exact same thing every year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe he has a leg injury sometime soon, but based on his last few years I feel like I can just write the number "6" in his baserunning column on Fangraphs for 2023 and expect I will be pretty darn accurate. Seems like he's doing the exact same thing every year.

Since teams are after shortstopw what timmy could bring back from a desperate for ss team?

3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Ooo I like this one, it's even better than the typical "there's a move that may or may not happen. I'm right if it does, but also it might fall apart."

Now we get the generic "some people will like it, some will not."

I swear, they should write horoscopes with the way everything is so "specifically" open-ended.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Ooo I like this one, it's even better than the typical "there's a move that may or may not happen. I'm right if it does, but also it might fall apart."

Now we get the generic "some people will like it, some will not."

I swear, they should write horoscopes with the way everything is so "specifically" open-ended.

Us? Divisive? 

Never.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Holy crap! Dave Dombrowski is the man!

The one thing all the hero GMs have in common is they work for owners who value winning over profit. Dombrowski and Theo make plenty of mistakes, but they don't have to sign Josh Harrison and Vince Valasquez in their championship windows.

1 minute ago, Greek-konerko said:

Lets say cards what cod they offer?

My instinct is that on his own, Anderson with 2 years remaining should bring back a prospect who's probably in the 50-100 range as the centerpiece, probably with a minor piece as a throwin.

The Cardinals have 5 guys in that range. A SS who is ranked above Montgomery on that list (both are shown as 50 FV on Fangraphs), 3 pitchers, and an OF.  

I'd say if the White Sox are rebuilding, one of those pitchers as the centerpiece makes sense? 

Just now, Greek-konerko said:

Lets say cards what cod they offer?

Their top prospect is Jordan Walker, and Matthew Liberatore is a great pitching prospect.

Nolan Gorman is a not convincing 2b but is LH power that hasn't yet translated as much in big leagues

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

My instinct is that on his own, Anderson with 2 years remaining should bring back a prospect who's probably in the 50-100 range as the centerpiece, probably with a minor piece as a throwin.

The Cardinals have 5 guys in that range. A SS who is ranked above Montgomery on that list (both are shown as 50 FV on Fangraphs), 3 pitchers, and an OF.  

I'd say if the White Sox are rebuilding, one of those pitchers as the centerpiece makes sense? 

Isnt timmy worth a major lg ready player back?plus a top 50 prospect?

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They need at least two OFs.  Colas is 1. 

These veterans on short term contracts do NOTHING for the Sox. The player gets all the advantages. They get decent money while the Sox spend money they profess not to have.

Can we all agree that the Sox are not going to contend unless many of the assets we already have stay healthy and progress towards the promise of their pre injury or previous years ? The biggest of these are Giolito, Robert, Eloy, Kopech and Moncada. Then how do these veterans help if those guys can't contribute in a big way?

If they do contribute in a big way then looking for  young controllable MLB ready players who can possibly contribute just as much at a far lesser cost would more  helpful now and in future years.

If you get a vet and he revives his career then he's gone with or without the Sox winning.

Go young. Stop the revolving door of throwing money down the drain. The Sox already have way too many reclamation projects on the 26 to risk money on more of the same.

• TLR 1

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The one thing all the hero GMs have in common is they work for owners who value winning over profit. Dombrowski and Theo make plenty of mistakes, but they don't have to sign Josh Harrison and Vince Valasquez in their championship windows.

No, no no. 

How many years did the Red Sox lose money with those guys? They had both of those guys in a 10 year stretch, so obviously if they've lost money so regularly the Red Sox must be completely bankrupt by now right?

The Phillies must be a mess after a couple years of Dombrowski, right? 

They don't value winning over profit. They understand that revenue responds to performance. If your team is making the playoffs and making world series runs over an extended stretch, even losses during 1 or 2 seasons will be offset by big wins the years that they have the biggest successes.

We thought the Phillies had to be overextended last year, they spent more than us, I think they're a taxpaying team, they signed Castellanos and he hugely struggled. And now they've signed what will probably be the 2nd or 3rd biggest contract this year. Do we think the Philadelphia Baseball Club will be filing for bankruptcy in 3 years? Naw.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Their top prospect is Jordan Walker, and Matthew Liberatore is a great pitching prospect.

Nolan Gorman is a not convincing 2b but is LH power that hasn't yet translated as much in big leagues

Timmy doesn’t fit the Cardinals “great infield defense” philosophy