Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

wow, got half the board pushing for a TA trade. sad!

Coming into this off-season, I was looking at all of the top-tier SS on the free agent market (meaning a lot of teams needing to SIGN a SS) and I was thinking "wow, I'm glad we're not in that boat."

And now I'm panicking because maybe we are, for some reason? I did not expect this.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Or...

With a team that has a ton of injury problems and exactly one capable OF, there is nothing wrong with signing an OF because there are plenty of holes, plus high odds of needing more than a few OFs because of injuries.

Or...

What happens if you give Colas a chance and he has a Robin Ventura like start to his career and you have no other OF depth.

I have no problems getting  OFer's just not the rejects who will cost more than they are worth. Hell I've been posting all of November about OF's.

I already answered all your "or's". This team isn't going anywhere without about 8 guys we already have staying healthy and producing. If that doesn't happen having money to spend will make the transition easier in 2024.

Kind of weird you weren't too worried about Vaughn's 1st year in what was then a much brighter window than it is now.

Colas will put up a better fWAR than Vaughn did in 2021 and 2022.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Narvaez was our 2nd to best hitter his last season here.  Sox grabbed him off the scrap heap and developed him.

He was genuinely bad on defense though and no one started teaching him defense until he got to Seattle. He would have been expected to figure out defense himself if he was stuck here, and he wouldn't have been able to. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Ooo I like this one, it's even better than the typical "there's a move that may or may not happen. I'm right if it does, but also it might fall apart."

Now we get the generic "some people will like it, some will not."

I swear, they should write horoscopes with the way everything is so "specifically" open-ended.

The odds are probably on his side.  This winter meetings has the makings of a Hahn special: trade 4 of your best 6 prospects for a good, not great, player.
Some will like it; some won't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I wonder how most people would feel about trading TA, signing Andrus, and then signing Nimmo. 

Have absolutely zero issues trading TA -- would get a lot of value in return, upgrade defense, lose an ego ...

BTW, here's my bet on the big Rick Hahn offseason move: Trey Mancini ... "hey guys, he's a great rotation 1B, OF, DH guy and he used to be good!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chw42 said:

Twins are apparently shopping Arraez for pitching. Would you do a Giolito + prospect for Arraez swap? 

Arraez is great but a low EV guy. Not sure they are looking for that right now.