Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I genuinely want Moncada to do well.  However, from various reports, like Ozzie and his kids have said that Moncada is his own worst nightmare.  Everything is in his head.  

If someone can get him mentally right the dude has ridiculous potential.  However, I don't know if that will ever happen.  

It's only 2 years. Me too, I was a huge stan of his as a prospect. was stoked when the Sox got him for Sale. 

Moncada was absolute dogshit last year offensively and his defense still pulled him to 0.9 fWAR. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is not accurate.  He waited until the next signing period because no teams had much money left in the one where he was declared a free agent.  He made multiples more money by waiting to sign, not because there was some vast conspiracy to stop him from signing early.

Yes he got more money but his intention was always to sign with the Sox. By waiting other teams could've upped their offered and signed him too but he chose the Sox. Plenty of teams wanted him.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes he got more money but his intention was always to sign with the Sox. By waiting other teams could've upped their offered and signed him too but he chose the Sox. Plenty of teams wanted him.

Almost every other team had also spent their next allotment as well.  Who could have offered him more during that period?  I would be curious about your source here, because I never saw anything to this effect. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they're trading Montgomery for someone like Chisholm/Reynolds I can get behind that. 

Based on a lot more but spin it any way you want to fit your  narrative. I could make 1000 posts about him telling you everything you want to know about him but if he isnt "ranked" he's a loser yet a good organization like the Dodgers has high hopes for him.  If we don't get him and the Dodgers don't trade him or sign an OF would it be a terrible if the Dodgers played him and gave him 300 AB's or more ? That's what could happen.

You guys act like I'm the only one who wants Outman. Plenty of other people around here rather have a shot at a good defensive OF w/ offensive upside than pay for the rejects currently available.

Any plan you could come up with isn't going to happen either but if it does I suppose you'll be thrilled with Gallo.

• TLR 1

8 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I'd be happy if they can trade either one.  Ecstatic if somehow they traded both.

Yes yes...let's really diminish the talent on this team. I got a better idea. Let's go full rebuild again. Can sit and look at the prosect charts again while winning 60 games. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

Yes yes...let's really diminish the talent on this team. I got a better idea. Let's go full rebuild again. Can sit and look at the prosect charts again while winning 60 games. 

I didn't say "dump," I said "trade."  In a trade you get talent back.  If they could somehow trade Moncada and/or Anderson for relatively equal value I'd be happy.  I doubt if any team would be too interested however.

• Haha 1

Just now, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I didn't say "dump," I said "trade."  In a trade you get talent back.  If they could somehow trade Moncada and/or Anderson for relatively equal value I'd be happy.  I doubt if any team would be too interested however.

What talent and how far along? I doubt your getting major league pieces to help this team for either. At that point start the rebuild. Trade Robert while your at it. 

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

What talent and how far along? I doubt your getting major league pieces to help this team for either. At that point start the rebuild. Trade Robert while your at it. 

I wouldn't trade for anyone that's not major league ready.  That's why I said I'd be happy if they could trade either one.  I doubt if anyone is really interested in parting with major league ready talent for either of them but if the Sox could find a trade partner for them I'd be very happy.  

46 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I genuinely want Moncada to do well.  However, from various reports, like Ozzie and his kids have said that Moncada is his own worst nightmare.  Everything is in his head.  

If someone can get him mentally right the dude has ridiculous potential.  However, I don't know if that will ever happen.  

This is why the manager hire is so vital.  We know that Yoan is in there somewhere.  Ricky found him. Tony lost him. Now it's up to Pedro to dig him out 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is why the manager hire is so vital.  We know that Yoan is in there somewhere.  Ricky found him. Tony lost him. Now it's up to Pedro to dig him out 

Yep...the new coaching staff if the biggest and most important move we can make.  The whole team needs a fresh start.  Shake off the malaise.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Almost every other team had also spent their next allotment as well.  Who could have offered him more during that period?  I would be curious about your source here, because I never saw anything to this effect. 

What is your source to say almost every had spent their next allotment as well ?

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What is your source to say almost every had spent their next allotment as well ?

There’s always reports that teams are maxed out years in advance? Those reports. Most teams usually know who they’re signing and for how much years prior.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Fire 1

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hence the stories of teams negotiating with 13 and 14 year olds.

But also this has been written about forever, not to mention that in not 1, but 2 different classes, no one apparently outbid the Sox.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33463929/needs-done-why-mlb-international-draft-such-big-deal%3fplatform=amp

Screenshot_20221205_192346_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, joejoesox said:

nah I think he's saying a well-liked player is getting traded

with that being said, he's probably full of 💩

This team is flailing right now. It is likely the end for this rebuild and contention window. We were far behind too many teams when the season ended, And those teams keep getting better. 

• Like 1