Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I can see JR using Montgomery as a sweetener to offload a painful contract.   

I wouldn’t think Montgomery would be available. Just look at the history of this franchise. When our best players are in line for big pay days they are allowed to wall. Anderson will be a free agent in a year or two and most likely will hit the market 

DVS spoke with Hahn tonight at the Winter Meetings.

My take of what Rick was quoted as saying is like he said a month ago, the Sox aren't going to tap into the free agent market for their positional needs:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2022/12/5/23495622/white-sox-open-to-blockbuster-type-trade

As Kenny would say, "It is what it is..." (unfortunately)

I remember when I thought these types of quotes were posturing, but now there is legit fear flowing through my blood that Hahn is willing to use Sheets in the OF again.

Hahn would like to add a left-handed bat to the mix but isn’t ruling out first baseman Gavin Sheets “who acclimated himself pretty decently” to the outfield getting at-bats as a designated hitter and outfielder.

“He’s capable of playing a corner outfield if needed,” Hahn said.

And just for the record, this is where Sheets & Vaughn ranked in rate adjusted DRS among corner OFs partway through 2022.  Needless to say, they sucked major you know what and any GM claiming they could be options out there again should be immediately relieved of his duties.

2022 YTD DRS.PNG

• Fire 1

Hahn is just out of his mind now.  Did he really say a main reason not to make trades last year was because they were predicted to finish first?  Way to read your press clippings, idiot.  Also, he didn’t rule out trading top prospects.  See ya Montgomery! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I remember when I thought these types of quotes were posturing, but now there is legit fear flowing through my blood that Hahn is willing to use Sheets in the OF again.

And just for the record, this is where Sheets & Vaughn ranked in rate adjusted DRS among corner OFs partway through 2022.  Needless to say, they sucked major you know what and any GM claiming they could be options out there again should be immediately relieved of his duties.

2022 YTD DRS.PNG

I think the plan of attack is Eloy will play in LF, Colas will eventually be in RF and the OF is good to go.  They will use Sheets for a month and a half to get the extra year of control for Colas.  And they will use a rotation of bad fielders for DH.  

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hahn is just out of his mind now.  Did he really say a main reason not to make trades last year was because they were predicted to finish first?  Way to read your press clippings, idiot.  Also, he didn’t rule out trading top prospects.  See ya Montgomery! 

No one has ever victory lapped harder after winning *1* division title in 10 years than Hahn. They've had 2 seasons in his entire tenure where the team has projected well heading into the season and he acts as if that's an accomplishment.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hahn loves having Sheets on the roster, as he can always use him as an example of why they don’t need certain things.  I’m sure if he wasn’t a lefty fielder, they’d put him at 2nd base also.

He will rotate Grandal, Vaughn and Sheets at first base.  Sheets if your starting RF until Colas comes up.  And Leury and Eloy will play left field with Vaughn doing a stint here and there.   The DH will be used to rotate the odd man out.  Grandal will play everyday no matter how bad he is.  

Edited by southsideirish71

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hahn loves having Sheets on the roster, as he can always use him as an example of why they don’t need certain things.  I’m sure if he wasn’t a lefty fielder, they’d put him at 2nd base also.

Lefty or not, Sheets at 2nd wouldn't be any worse than Vaughn in the outfield

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Where was this at?

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

It's a beautiful spectacular disaster.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Colson is a legit 55 FV prospect as I mentioned previously and Vaughn is a former 60 FV prospect who posted a 125 wRC+ through August of last year as a 24 year old in the majors.  That’s considerably more than “two 50 FV guys”.

Except as we noted yesterday Colson currently isn't a 55 FV prospect unless you have a source for those rankings you can cite other than Fangraphs? 

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

2022 YTD DRS.PNG

Honestly - if they roll with Sheets as an everyday outfielder again - I give up.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I predict that there will be no Sox trades. We have the nucleus of a good team and can fill any needs we may have with our minor league players. I think Free Agent signings are still possible but at bargain prices 

Well, we found Hahn's Soxtalk account

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Funny thing is we’re all upset they don’t have the resources to make a big trade or sign someone significant, but there’s a very good chance we would absolutely hate the player/transaction by the ASB.

There's also a very good chance the difference between Nimmo & whatever scrapheap veteran they sign as a stop gap option in RF is the difference between winning the division and not. It's better to spend money on good players than whatever the hell Jerry's plan is right now.

• Thanks 1