Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Some quick napkin math, but...

Since buying the Mets (2020), Cohen has added at least $866.65 million in guaranteed contracts to the team.

I'm sure the Rangers, Phillies, and Padres over the last few years are similar (they're all $500M+). So anyone that thinks big contracts are prohibitive is full of s%*#.

If we add up all our FA contracts we've signed starting in 2022 and going backwards.. What year would it be for us to hit the 867 million?  I'll guess over a decade.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

Some quick napkin math, but...

Since buying the Mets (2020), Cohen has added at least $866.65 million in guaranteed contracts to the team.

I'm sure the Rangers, Phillies, and Padres over the last few years are similar (they're all $500M+). So anyone that thinks big contracts are prohibitive is full of s%*#.

I was watching MLBN last night and Dan ODowd was going over their payroll, anticipating a couple more additions, saying it would probably be around $340 million plus close to a $100 million tax. 

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If we add up all our FA contracts we've signed starting in 2022 and going backwards.. What year would it be for us to hit the 867 million?  I'll guess over a decade.

For what it's worth, I was including extensions.

But considering half of the extensions the Sox signed are loaded with options, it'd still take a while.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

TBH, I would be surprised if it reaches that total since free agency existed.

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

2 years of control left, coming off an injury shortened season, a history of minor leg injuries, defensively from last year you question whether he can stay at SS, and his performance last year looked like a 3 win SS, not 4.5 like the year before. Surplus value for him at this projection looks like 4 WAR over 2 years beyond what you’re paying for, rather than 7 like you would have thought coming into 2022. You’re not only trading him at a big low in his value, but there’s also 4 (now 3) other shortstop options available as free agents. This is not a good guy to sell right now.

Yeah but the Tim Anderson meal beat the Bryce Harper meal last season

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

On his comma?

Think about his anger and passive aggressiveness and a certain time of the month but for a man.

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Also why do people really worry about what Shane thinks like that?  He is a producer for the score, he might find out something a little sooner than us but he isn’t some plugged in rumor guy

He’s putting a thought out there without thinking about it. We shouldn’t care but he should know damn well why they need to move someone rather than want to move someone.

12 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Think about his anger and passive aggressiveness and a certain time of the month but for a man.

He’s putting a thought out there without thinking about it. We shouldn’t care but he should know damn well why they need to move someone rather than want to move someone.

Yikes man

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, fathom said:

And Fegan just posted an article that says the Sox are basically at their budget now.  Super!

If the Sox budget it tapped, so is mine.  Plenty of other things to do in Chicago next year.  Zahi Hawass is doing a national speaking tour next year to start with.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I don’t think anyone wanting to win wants the Sox to trade Hendriks. But if they need the money, that’s on JR. I will say for as great as Liam has been, if they never signed him and just had an average closer the last 2 seasons, there is no doubt in my mind they still win the division in 2021 and lose in the 1st round of the playoffs and miss the playoffs in 2022. So really his performance never got to the point where it really mattered, like a tight must win playoff game. I’m glad they signed him. I think he’s awesome in so many ways. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the Sox budget it tapped, so is mine.  Plenty of other things to do in Chicago next year.  Zahi Hawass is doing a national speaking tour next year to start with.

To be fair and I just read the article briefly but Fegan is just reiterating what Hahn said a month or two ago about the budget and doing some pretty basic math. 

There's nothing ground breaking in that article that hasn't been repeated here or said by Rick. 

31 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Also why do people really worry about what Shane thinks like that?  He is a producer for the score, he might find out something a little sooner than us but he isn’t some plugged in rumor guy

Yea, he's wanted us to think he knows far more than he's demonstrated that he actually knew. Not sure why people pay attention to what he says.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Just to stir the pot...I'd focus on Dodgers and package Liam w/Gio in exchange for Busch and Outman...2 MLB ready LH hitters at positions of need (2B and OF). Both low-cost and controllable for years to come (CaliSox has sold me on Outman). Ideally you hold onto Gio and hope for a bounce back but its a good bet neither he or Liam return after this year (if theu even break camp w/Sox) so lets fill some needs and shape the roster (and at same time lower payroll to maybe afford Q?)

I've vacillated on moving Gio. Probably need to just trust he'll rebound in a contract year. A lot of players do.

We're already knee deep in guys who are always injured or having trouble with consistency so what's one more?

You can see how he and the rest of the underachievers do. Gio can be good but the team bad so then you can move him at the trade deadline. If both are good you play it out.

I will put a lil faith in our starting pitching and some better OF defense and team speed. That's what baseball is promoting with the new rules. Take advantage of it. If the Sox save some money put it towards the bullpen. I know right. But you can reinvest half of Hendricks salary on a couple BP guys or just one.

Tampa Bay contends a lot and they always are selling off pieces. It has to start somewhere. Just need to start piling up the pieces now and see if we can get some career health and career years from Eloy and Robert. Do you all realize how huge that would be and how exciting to see Eloy settle in at DH and Robert doing his thing in LF saving his legs just a bit to use them terrorizing pitchers on the bases ! Both of them destroying balls over the fences, showing Colas and Outman how it's done as they become the young left handed savages !

It would be a very exciting team born from the depths of our despair.

• Love 1