Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Anything specific that gives you this feeling?

He made a very lawyery statement on how we have some prospects who are close to helping or “on the precipice of contributing” and others that are father away.  Combine that with him saying he’s open to a blockbuster trade and it’s very clear that anyone that can’t help in 2023 is on the table.  Seems like it may be a classic White Sox “all-in” year without the money as usual (lol) and Montgomery is the only prospect who can headline a true blockbuster.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

So by deduction you have Burger, Eloy, maybe Hendriks, maybe Sheets and a few minor leaguers as guys Hahn might trade to fill holes. 
we know he isn’t trading Vaughn or TA. Moncada and Yaz will get him nothing, I can’t imagine he would get rid of Robert, 

for a team that needs home runs, letting Eloy go would be risky. Plus he’s a pretty popular teammate.

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Best part of Margalus article is Hahn using Derek Holland and Anthony Swarzek as examples of past free agent signings.

The guy is clearly over his head. 

I read that and any ounce of optimism I had about this off-season just went out the window. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

What was the Gavin Sheets quote?  Must have missed it.  

Just said that Gavin Sheets is a potential OF option.  Wouldn’t be that big of a deal except for the fact he did this same song & dance last year and then actually went with the insane plan that back-fired as expected.

Morale of this fan base truly can’t be much lower. I don’t think things are as dire as most, and certainly I find the penny pinching theme to be outrageous at this stage, but Sox really need to make a big move to prove to this fan base they mean business. Rick has said as much earlier this offseason. I still have hope there is more in the tank for this offseason than bargain bin hunting. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just said that Gavin Sheets is a potential OF option.  Wouldn’t be that big of a deal except for the fact he did this same song & dance last year and then actually went with the insane plan that back-fired as expected.

If Gavin Sheets is your opening day starter...I am finally prepared to become a full time Braves fan. (context: I live down the street from their stadium)

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Morale of this fan base truly can’t be much lower. I don’t think things are as dire as most, and certainly I find the penny pinching theme to be outrageous at this stage, but Sox really need to make a big move to prove to this fan base they mean business. Rick has said as much earlier this offseason. I still have hope there is more in the tank for this offseason than bargain bin hunting. 

He said something about making a big move to win over the fans?

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I love your optimism but Hahn sounds like he’s as desperate and transparent as a homeless guy asking for five bucks and telling you it’s going towards crack. I truly believe Jerry is cutting back because of a lack of playoff revenue from last season and that funds will very tight.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Is the $180 million mark Fegan mentioned the luxury tax payroll or the actual payroll? Cause our luxury tax payroll is estimated to be around $187 million already. But our actual payroll is $167 million. 

That’s $167 if you count the buyouts for Harrison and Pollock on 2022. While the luxury tax dies I’m not sure the white Sox do (otherwise why did they do the mutual option with Clevinger other than to move a payment after the year is over?). If those buyouts are being counted for 2023 and 2024 I think they are a little higher.

I get that many of the posters don't trust the FO to get the needed help, but it seems reasonable to wait until the next week or two before going off the deep end.  We simply don't know what if anything might be in the works.  The WS are as closed mouthed as a sports team can get and always have been.

• Like 1

Just now, poppysox said:

I get that many of the posters don't trust the FO to get the needed help, but it seems reasonable to wait until the next week or two before going off the deep end.  We simply don't know what if anything might be in the works.  The WS are as closed mouthed as a sports team can get and always have been.

Look if this was a team with a history of spending, sure, be patient.  But we are here precisely because team DIDN'T follow up on its promise to invest once the team was good.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look if this was a team with a history of spending, sure, be patient.  But we are here precisely because team DIDN'T follow up on its promise to invest once the team was good.

and anytime he's attempted to do so he's failed to get the players to come to the club. It's a multilayer failure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I understand that most posters feel as you do.  Just saying that the meetings are still going on.  Let's see what happens before we get the rope for the lynching.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yep and I don’t want to hear that they did. One offseason of spending doesn’t cut it then cry poor when attendance was up. Fans did their part. I don’t want to hear them talk about losses due to playoff revenue etc or hear about not doing anything last offseason because they were heavy favorites to win the division. Once again an ownership group that is echos it’s players thoughts of having already made it/won without actually winning anything. 

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It seems like everyone has grasped the idea that Hahn deliberately says nothing when he speaks.  But somehow that doesn't stop everyone from busting out their decoder rings and dissecting his every phrase when he does.  For god's sake, the answer is always "drink more Ovaltine", people.  We'll eventually learn what the Sox are up to, but it won't be through Hahn's press statements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That is besides the point. They have come out and told us they aren’t going to spend. If you are as all in as they say they are throw your you know what on the table and make a move versus waiting for free agency to play out and then try to pick over the scraps. Sox once again being reactive instead of proactive. The FO and organization doesn’t get / deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore that they will do anything, not after the repeated failures.

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

When Hahn brings up Swarzak and Holland as examples of after the meetings moves, that’s the kind of crap we are looking at. Swarzak wasn’t bad but was flipped for garbage. Holland was a waste of $6 million and released. So they are looking for bargains. Guys desperate for a job. Can’t wait to congratulate Rick at the parade.

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I love your optimism but Hahn sounds like he’s as desperate and transparent as a homeless guy asking for five bucks and telling you it’s going towards crack. I truly believe Jerry is cutting back because of a lack of playoff revenue from last season and that funds will very tight.

I don't even know that I would deem it optimism at this stage.  I certainly don't expect us to hand our a contract bigger than Yaz.  I just don't think $180M is as hard of a limit as some do.  Even Jimmy was saying just a week ago he expected the Sox to surpass their 2022 payroll.  I get everyone is frustrated and the tenor of recent discussions from the FO aren't super encouraging, but I will at least let things play out before lighting my pitchfork.  I am certain the club we have now isn't what we'll have come April.