Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

Just now, Baron said:

Everyone get into a Yankees message board now. It's going to be a s%*# show. 

I wouldn't want Judge at that contract and my one Yankee fan is glad they aren't signing him for that much.  Reasonable fans will get it, ones who don't care about money or understand it will obviosuly be livid

12 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I wouldn't want Judge at that contract and my one Yankee fan is glad they aren't signing him for that much.  Reasonable fans will get it, ones who don't care about money or understand it will obviosuly be livid

Harper was the ideal "overpay" option. don't see anything on the horizon that comes close to what couldve been such a no brainer signing as Harper. Talk about blowing it. ffs

Edited by joejoesox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Well. It's not exactly easy to explain how you let a player of that caliber go in New York. 

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think that can be true but also...that team was Aaron Judge last year. I don't know what the yankees do to be interesting.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You know, there was a lot of conversations. We thought we had gotten to the finish line on one or two big things, but things fissled at the last minute. It doesn't mean the off-season was lost for us, but I'm definitely feeling like the fans tonight.

Some of the best deals you make are the ones you don’t make.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Why sign a player who just had one of the best seasons in MLB history when your billionaire owner can simply cheap out and not spend that money instead?

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It's because Lux has twice the amount of control and he's dirt cheap the next 2 years. Gleyber is estimated to be paid $24 million these next 2 years. 

Yeah, this is what the site is taking in to account, not a perfect tool by any means, but a free and accessible one.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Why sign a player who just had one of the best seasons in MLB history when your billionaire owner can simply cheap out and not spend that money instead?

Not to mention that without Judge, the Yankees are probably a wild card team last year at best. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where he went on to say Kelenic is his OD LF. 

I know everyone gets on Hahn for this, but I swear this is in the unwritten rules of the GM code somewhere.  You have to make ridiculous statements about how your internal guys are your main guys, even when you are shopping them or trying to replace them.

• Like 1

Just now, JoeCredeYes said:

Yeah, this is what the site is taking in to account, not a perfect tool by any means, but a free and accessible one.

That site has a lot of dumb edge cases you can exploit to make "fair" trades even though there's no way they can occur IRL. I feel like their model does not value superstar players correctly. Baseball is not just a game of surplus value. An elite 5-7 WAR player getting paid $35 million a year should not be considered neutral surplus value. 7 WAR players don't grow on trees. You also can't just spread his money to 7 different 1 WAR players and consider it the same since roster spots also have value. I feel like the tool is a good place to gauge general value for mid and low market players, but they have no way of actually calculating the true value of a guy like Machado, Harper, Tatis, etc. 

• Like 3