Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

54 minutes ago, he gone. said:

these past 3-4 years are the toughest because we had the perfect set up and we squandered it so badly that we never had a very strong chance of winning it all. We all can sense what's coming next because we're not stupid, but the Sox, the Sox FO and the likes continue to talk down to us as if we are. They're cowards who hide cancelling fan events like SoxFest (not my cup of tea, but still is for a bunch of die hards + KIDS!). The "core" and "championship window" we were all promised turned out to be approximately 2 years which was led by TLR, Dallas Keuchel and the likes. It was a colossal failure and the pivot is already to trading some of our best talent in Giolito and Hendriks because we're so inept that  we know we have no chance of resigning them. So rather than add on the fringes on short term deals (Bellinger, Haniger, Conforto, etc.) we have decided it's better to trade those guys and go younger. 

All of this coming after big pay days of MLB doing sales + apple contract where i think the owners all started with like $60mm free dry powder than the year before. To those who think JR is selling the team ever? Good luck. Owning this franchise is like having a stock paying dividend to him. If you put him on a lie detector you'd get the results we all know ... he doesn't actually care about winning. he cares about his bottom line. 

Very well put. We know the Sox saw the success that KC, Cubs, and Houston had with tanking and rebuilding and thought they should finally give it a try as well. 

Do we have any other comps for such incompetently run rebuilds in professional sports? I guess you could say the Pirates, Cleveland Browns, and maybe "the process" with the 76ers? 

20 minutes ago, GreatScott82 said:

I feel like were all conditioned to be like the 'old man' from A Christmas Story. Disguntled Sox fans. Ownership has wronged the fans for generations. Especially when the Sox traded Bullfrog for four-eyed Shottenhoffer, a utility infielder.YARN | They traded Bullfrog. I don't believe it. | A ...

Got a whole god damned team of utility infielders!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Very well put. We know the Sox saw the success that KC, Cubs, and Houston had with tanking and rebuilding and thought they should finally give it a try as well. 

Do we have any other comps for such incompetently run rebuilds in professional sports? I guess you could say the Pirates, Cleveland Browns, and maybe "the process" with the 76ers? 

76ers have made the playoffs 5 straight seasons and advanced to the 2nd round 4 times. While there's obviously been some issues and they haven't met the goal of being a title winning team, that's still way better than the White Sox's results.

The Pirates - I'm not sure they count as they're pretty much perennially rebuilding. They certainly could spend more money than they do and they had some front office and coaching issues (see the way they treated Gerrit Cole), but the Pirates are never going to be pushing up against the luxury tax, they are always going to be a team that peaks for a couple years then has a long reloading process afterwards - unless they could get to a Tampa Bay level of player development. They're like the Royals in that regard. 

My guess is they offer Benintendi a 3 year deal loaded with incentives. WIth 50 RBI's he'll earn a years worth of Jewel-Osco coupons, a $200 gas gift card and a 2 year subscription to HBO Max. Sadly, he'll decline and take a contract elsewhere with real guaranteed $$. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

76ers have made the playoffs 5 straight seasons and advanced to the 2nd round 4 times. While there's obviously been some issues and they haven't met the goal of being a title winning team, that's still way better than the White Sox's results.

The Pirates - I'm not sure they count as they're pretty much perennially rebuilding. They certainly could spend more money than they do and they had some front office and coaching issues (see the way they treated Gerrit Cole), but the Pirates are never going to be pushing up against the luxury tax, they are always going to be a team that peaks for a couple years then has a long reloading process afterwards - unless they could get to a Tampa Bay level of player development. They're like the Royals in that regard. 

The "process" in Philadelphia has been an epic failure.  Those bozos made their fans sit through 3 straight seasons where they didn't even win 20 games. All those years flushed down the toilet and they couldn't even win one Eastern Conference Championship. 

It will never happen in a million years but the "epic Fail" tank jobs by professional sports orgainizations should be punished heavily in someway. Ownership should be forced to pay back season ticket holders and the fanbase in someway. Relegation like in professional socceer should be implemented in some fashion as well. 

• TLR 1

5 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

I wonder how many times Rick will say fell through at the last minute in his press conference next week

He will say they’re disappointed nothing matriculated, but there was significant groundwork laid that could lead to a transaction in the coming weeks and months.

• Like 2

I too have been considering what team to follow if I were to abandon the Sox. Cardinals would be the obvious choice for a competent franchise, but I’m not a fan of Cards fans at all. AL Central teams are out of the question, but it has to be a regional team. Brew crew maybe? They’ve got great fans, but probably just setting up for more frustration. Damn it sucks being a Sox fan. I just don’t see a solution

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

He will say they’re disappointed nothing matriculated, but there was significant groundwork laid that could lead to a transaction in the coming weeks and months.

Ahhh great add. Good job

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep. Said the same B.S. last winter when they didn't add any significant players. He also said at the trade deadline in 2022 they'll be aggressive if the right offer comes along. We know how that turned out.  The guy is full of crap. His interviews are meaningless. If anything, the more he speaks- the more he patronizes us fans. It's insulting. 

Edited by GreatScott82