Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I too have been considering what team to follow if I were to abandon the Sox. Cardinals would be the obvious choice for a competent franchise, but I’m not a fan of Cards fans at all. AL Central teams are out of the question, but it has to be a regional team. Brew crew maybe? They’ve got great fans, but probably just setting up for more frustration. Damn it sucks being a Sox fan. I just don’t see a solution

Probably not watch at all. But if I had too maybe the Mets

• Hawk 1

13 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Man this sucks... I swear Rick will be spewing the bullshit later this week

Nah he’ll say they laid the ground work and you don’t have to finish a deal at the meetings and it needs the time it needs and hopefully ideally we will see some things materialize in the coming days or weeks ideally that is to say somewhat soon but they fully plan to get better and are already better and they hopefully will….

blah blah blah

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

The "process" in Philadelphia has been an epic failure.  Those bozos made their fans sit through 3 straight seasons where they didn't even win 20 games. All those years flushed down the toilet and they couldn't even win one Eastern Conference Championship. 

It will never happen in a million years but the "epic Fail" tank jobs by professional sports orgainizations should be punished heavily in someway. Ownership should be forced to pay back season ticket holders and the fanbase in someway. Relegation like in professional socceer should be implemented in some fashion as well. 

As a Sixers fan I gotta interject on this slander…the “process” was never completed because the NBA are crooks and forced the Collangelo’s upon the Sixers and fired Sam Heinkie. The process was ruined by bad moves from a guy who had burner accounts on Twitter talking bad about his own players. Regardless, the Sixers still went from a 6th-10th seed with no hope to a perennial contender…even if the big playoff success hasn’t come to fruition yet. 

9 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Join the out of town bandwagon.  They are way more fun than the local dumpster fire.

I live in Brooklyn and actually go to a decent amount of Cyclones games (especially when the Dash are in town).

So I've already got a Mets minor league jersey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Nah he’ll say they laid the ground work and you don’t have to finish a deal at the meetings and it needs the time it needs and hopefully ideally we will see some things materialize in the coming days or weeks ideally that is to say somewhat soon but they fully plan to get better and are already better and they hopefully will….

blah blah blah

don't forget...

"A lot of our guys were very popular throughout the meetings. We fielded and were open to all inquiries. Fortunately we're in a position of having a lot of highly sought after individuals who we'd be more than happy to go into the season with giving us an opportunity to compete for a championship."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Very well put. We know the Sox saw the success that KC, Cubs, and Houston had with tanking and rebuilding and thought they should finally give it a try as well. 

Do we have any other comps for such incompetently run rebuilds in professional sports? I guess you could say the Pirates, Cleveland Browns, and maybe "the process" with the 76ers? 

One year ago the #1 would be the Phillies.  Do with that what you will.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nothing more throw-up worthy than the new found Mets stans at Soxtalk. Might be worse than Caufields borderline-illegal infatuation with the Padres.

Like I told my dad (who declared he will never watch baseball again after the Cubs signed Bellinger), we're too dyed in the wool here to leave the Sox.

But a majority of my baseball following friends here are Mets fans, I go to Cyclones games, and SNY is massive fun to watch. Adding Q to their team is just a good reason to finally go to Citi Field for a game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I too have been considering what team to follow if I were to abandon the Sox. Cardinals would be the obvious choice for a competent franchise, but I’m not a fan of Cards fans at all. AL Central teams are out of the question, but it has to be a regional team. Brew crew maybe? They’ve got great fans, but probably just setting up for more frustration. Damn it sucks being a Sox fan. I just don’t see a solution

Brewers were an easy choice a few years back when they were good and competing in the NL Central.  Now not so much.  Mets, Phillies, Blue Jays, M's are all pretty watchable as an out of towner.

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Like I told my dad (who declared he will never watch baseball again after the Cubs signed Bellinger), we're too dyed in the wool here to leave the Sox.

But a majority of my baseball following friends here are Mets fans, I go to Cyclones games, and SNY is massive fun to watch. Adding Q to their team is just a good reason to finally go to Citi Field for a game.

I think choosing a secondary rooting interest is a good idea. My heart will always be with the Sox though. 

One day, there will be new ownership and I can have hope again. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

As frustrating as being a Sox fan can be, I would never even consider changing my fandom.  Its in my blood.  For better or worse. 

I could never change it either, and I don't think anyone here is talking about going all diehard for another team. I just want a second team to watch I guess.

The front office and ownership has brought this on themselves.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think choosing a secondary rooting interest is a good idea. My heart will always be with the Sox though. 

One day, there will be new ownership and I can have hope again. 

I've said for the past few years every Sox fan should work at keeping themselves healthy and hope to outlive current ownership because that's the only way things are going to significantly change. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I could never change it either, and I don't think anyone here is talking about going all diehard for another team. I just want a second team to watch I guess.

Yeah, I guess my 2nd team is always whoever the Twins are playing.  Having spent most of my life in MN and all my friends being Twins fans, that is my other way of consuming baseball.  

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I've said for the past few years every Sox fan should work at keeping themselves healthy and hope to outlive current ownership because that's the only way things are going to significantly change. 

I joked that Jerry and I will be on our deathbeds at the same time because f*** me, that's why.

(I'm only 31 haha)

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

As frustrating as being a Sox fan can be, I would never even consider changing my fandom.  Its in my blood.  For better or worse. 

Oh I can’t quit this sad sack franchise, as much as I try.  I just want to watch good baseball along with that certain brand of Sox suck. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yup, all of this.  

26 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Oh I can’t quit this sad sack franchise, as much as I try.   

I get asked all the time why I’m a Sox fan still when all they do is make me miserable…like look, if I could just stop being a fan I would have a looooong time ago, unfortunately that’s not how this works.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JoshPR said:

Man this sucks... I swear Rick will be spewing the bullshit later this week

We didn't like the market or didn't want to do x or y.  Its like no - have a strategy, have a plan. You don't just get to say it didn't work out. It is your job to grind, grind, grind grind and when one thing doesn't work out, find another or go a different path and continue evolving and always looking at ways to improve the team - whether marginally or materially.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I get asked all the time why I’m a Sox fan still when all they do is make me miserable…like look, if I could just stop being a fan I would have a looooong time ago, unfortunately that’s not how this works.

This was what I was trying to explain to my dad when he declared he'd stop following baseball.

Like I understand his new local team is the D-Backs, but c'mon. He can just watch some Dodgers games on MLB.tv. He can even go to the same spring training stadium!

Go to your proposed alternative teams' message boards and see how joyful they are.  Yes, the Mets are super psyched on their team all the time, what with their zero championships in the last 40 yrs and all.  You would have loved being out of the playoffs one season ago. Being a Sox fan sucks, but misery defines Soxtalk-level fans of almost all franchises.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm