Winter Meetings Thread

Chicago White Sox

19 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

We didn't like the market or didn't want to do x or y.  Its like no - have a strategy, have a plan. You don't just get to say it didn't work out. It is your job to grind, grind, grind grind and when one thing doesn't work out, find another or go a different path and continue evolving and always looking at ways to improve the team - whether marginally or materially.  

This...is the plan.

4 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Go to your proposed alternative teams' message boards and see how joyful they are.  Yes, the Mets are super psyched on their team all the time, what with their zero championships in the last 40 yrs and all.  You would have loved being out of the playoffs one season ago. Being a Sox fan sucks, but misery defines Soxtalk-level fans of almost all franchises.

Yeah, but a lot of teams didn't do jack squat this week.  The biggest player added to the AL Central was Josh Bell..

I am surprised there was not a single trade of note though.  

Edited by ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This...is the plan.

I think they have backup plans but its not stuff people would love. For example on that podcast with McGuffey, Garfein kept putting Gallo out there multiple times and pumping him up so im assuming if they don't trade for a good LH OF, they will circle back to Gallo for like 1 yr 7-8m or something. 

I think they are gonna address the needs for sure, it's just an issue of meaningfully addressing them or just half ass addressing them, but either way I don't expect 1B pretending to be OF in both corners again and I think at a minimum there will be a cheap platoon LH 2B. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think they have backup plans but its not stuff people would love. For example on that podcast with McGuffey, Garfein kept putting Gallo out there multiple times and pumping him up so im assuming if they don't trade for a good LH OF, they will circle back to Gallo for like 1 yr 7-8m or something. 

I think they are gonna address the needs for sure, it's just an issue of meaningfully addressing them or just half ass addressing them, but either way I don't expect 1B pretending to be OF in both corners again and I think at a minimum there will be a cheap platoon LH 2B. 

I am fully expecting a Joey Gallo + Adam Frazier offseason at this point.  Perhaps along with a Hendriks trade for a SP prospect. 

35 minutes ago, Quin said:

This was what I was trying to explain to my dad when he declared he'd stop following baseball.

Like I understand his new local team is the D-Backs, but c'mon. He can just watch some Dodgers games on MLB.tv. He can even go to the same spring training stadium!

I've been in Boston over ten years and had to live through multiple World Series and Stanley Cup parades here. My friends etc still ask why I'm not a Boston sports fan yet and it's like... it doesn't work that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Ugh no......need BOS to come up empty so they can be in the TA trade market.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

No matter where the shortstops go, there will be other openings.

Xander to BOS, and Correa to LAD/SF leaving by far the worst of the three in Dansby for the Twins to overpay seems like a W for the Sox. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Possible trade partner for Timmy no one mentions is Arizona.

No one mentions it because it makes no sense for them to acquire a guy with only 2 years of control with the Dodgers and Padres in that division until they are loaded with a lot of guys breaking out. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Dodgers depth looks kinda thin at the moment in the infield and outfield. They gotta be in a bidding war with the Giants for Correa right?

Yeah, it was floated yesterday that they're trying to get him to agree to monster AAVs on a shorter term deal.  With Giants missing out on Judge, have to imagine they're very motivated on Correa now.  

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Hendriks for Stott swap makes sense for both sides.  Would allow Phillies to re-sign Segura who may fit the "win now" bill better anyways.

I can't say the Phillies won't overpay, but much like Lux, that's a pretty big overpay from them. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Xander to BOS, and Correa to LAD/SF leaving by far the worst of the three in Dansby for the Twins to overpay seems like a W for the Sox. 

I'll certainly take consolation prizes at this point, but I don't know. I get the big picture angle if it's an overpay, but the Twins would still be adding a good player.