Yanks Lure Aaron Judge back, $360M/9

hi8is

Soxtalk has gotten so cringy.  Every single post/poster seems to hate everything about the team.  There are no optimism threads and any thread of interesting speculation is soon buried under an avalanche of “funny” hate.   A troll on Soxtalk is someone that says something positive…but here goes…trolling.  As I have pointed out frequently…in the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s when Sox were in a competitive window they were top five payroll.  JR does not spend heavily in times of non-contention…which as a businessman makes sense.  We are now clearly in a window of contention (yes last year was painful…look at Phillies of 2020/21).  We spent $215 on payroll last year and top 5 was $240.  This idea that we will only spend $180 is pretty much the same nonsense from a couple of years ago when we would never spend over $150. We have Keuchel $18.5 mill and Abreu $17 mill dropping off our books….they could basically take that money and sign Aaron Judge.  Despite the reality that we have not signed any big fish it is clear that they were trying to land big fish with serious offers to Machado and Wheeler.  Spotrac has us with $145 committed for 2023.  So why not Aaron Judge?  He’s got a career .980 OPS.  He’s been a plus defender for most of his career.  He’s an outfielder which is clearly our biggest need.  He can even play a serviceable CF in a pinch ( as can Colas).  An outfield of Judge/Colas/Robert could be elite offensively and defensively.  It’s a single move that can restore faith, sell tickets and give JR a chance for that last ring.  We have the budget, he fits a need lets blow up the world.         

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Soxtalk has gotten so cringy.  Every single post/poster seems to hate everything about the team.  There are no optimism threads and any thread of interesting speculation is soon buried under an avalanche of “funny” hate.   A troll on Soxtalk is someone that says something positive…but here goes…trolling.  As I have pointed out frequently…in the 80’s, 90’s and 00’s when Sox were in a competitive window they were top five payroll.  JR does not spend heavily in times of non-contention…which as a businessman makes sense.  We are now clearly in a window of contention (yes last year was painful…look at Phillies of 2020/21).  We spent $215 on payroll last year and top 5 was $240.  This idea that we will only spend $180 is pretty much the same nonsense from a couple of years ago when we would never spend over $150. We have Keuchel $18.5 mill and Abreu $17 mill dropping off our books….they could basically take that money and sign Aaron Judge.  Despite the reality that we have not signed any big fish it is clear that they were trying to land big fish with serious offers to Machado and Wheeler.  Spotrac has us with $145 committed for 2023.  So why not Aaron Judge?  He’s got a career .980 OPS.  He’s been a plus defender for most of his career.  He’s an outfielder which is clearly our biggest need.  He can even play a serviceable CF in a pinch ( as can Colas).  An outfield of Judge/Colas/Robert could be elite offensively and defensively.  It’s a single move that can restore faith, sell tickets and give JR a chance for that last ring.  We have the budget, he fits a need lets blow up the world.         

It’s better than repetitively saying, “poop” for months on end.

They call that growth. 😆 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, hi8is said:

It’s better than repetitively saying, “poop” for months on end.

They call that growth. 😆 

Well self loathing is not the only option to a down year.  Last year you had the following players miss 58 or more games Grandal, Tim Anderson, Robert, Jiminez and Moncado.  AJ Pollock was second on the team in games played.  Sheets, Harrison and Engel were 4, 5 and 6.  Lynn, Bummer, Crochet, Kopech lost significant time.  Grandal, Moncado and Keuchel had horrific years.  TLR was the manager...and they still managed to finish at .500.   This remains a team that has all the parts to win the WS...now go sign Judge...or at least dream about it until he signs with the Dodgers (who have won nearly 2/3 of their games for 6 years and have one championship to show for it).  

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

The White Sox are one of only four teams to have never handed out a nine figure deal. The others are the A's, Pirates and Royals.

JR isn't going to start now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The White Sox are one of only four teams to have never handed out a nine figure deal. The others are the A's, Pirates and Royals.

JR isn't going to start now.

That is a silly arbitrary number.   Comparing 2020 contracts to 1980, 1990, 2000 contracts is meaningless.   The question is will JR pay for a big contract and he has often...Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, Albert Bell, Carlton Fisk, Julio Cruz.  Top five payrolls in all of those eras...and we just freed up $35 million with Abreu and Keuchel.  I'm not predicting it but to say speculation is impossible is just meatballery.    

35 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

That is a silly arbitrary number.   Comparing 2020 contracts to 1980, 1990, 2000 contracts is meaningless.   The question is will JR pay for a big contract and he has often...Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, Albert Bell, Carlton Fisk, Julio Cruz.  Top five payrolls in all of those eras...and we just freed up $35 million with Abreu and Keuchel.  I'm not predicting it but to say speculation is impossible is just meatballery.    

Notice something about all your examples?  Maybe it’s not an arbitrary number when your most recent example of a “big contract” is Jerry absorbing Thome’s $45.5M salary in 2006 coming off a bad season.

Also, people aren’t being negative about the payroll for no reason.  Instead of insulting the entire board, maybe understand the basis of our concerns, which is James Fegan citing from a source ~$180M payroll and Hahn explicitly stating money will be tight.  Could it all be bullshit?  Sure, but everything during Jerry’s tenure as owner suggests it’s not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Are you Jerry on a burner account? 2 big free agent splashes in 42 years as owner, and the last one was 26 years ago. And none in this big rebuild contention window, which is pretty much agreed by most to be over the hump on its way down now.

We all love our White Sox. But we have a cheapskate owner who has proven that for 4+ decades. It is what it is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Notice something about all your examples?  Maybe it’s not an arbitrary number when your most recent example of a “big contract” is Jerry absorbing Thome’s $45.5M salary in 2006 coming off a bad season.

Also, people aren’t being negative about the payroll for no reason.  Instead of insulting the entire board, maybe understand the basis of our concerns, which is James Fegan citing from a source ~$180M payroll and Hahn explicitly stating money will be tight.  Could it all be bullshit?  Sure, but everything during Jerry’s tenure as owner suggests it’s not.

2011 White Sox had top 5 payroll, 2010 it was 7.   In every decade in JR's ownership we've had a top 5 payroll.  Sorry if I get exasperated by the non-stop, every thread, people bitching about ownerships cheapness.  I only do it because it's not true...but don't let me interfere with the b**** fest.  I will stop trolling.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

2011 White Sox had top 5 payroll, 2010 it was 7.   In every decade in JR's ownership we've had a top 5 payroll.  Sorry if I get exasperated by the non-stop, every thread, people bitching about ownerships cheapness.  I only do it because it's not true...but don't let me interfere with the b**** fest.  I will stop trolling.  

Wait - in every decade they've had a top payroll once out of those 10 years? Are you even serious here? Do you understand Chicago is a big market? They should have a top 5 payroll more often than not. And they should be in the top 10 every year.

• Like 3

Yes everyone agrees our contention winner is nearly over.  Good grief...this board.  27 is when players hit their peak...there's zero chance that Vaughn, Robert, Sosa, Jiminez, Cease, Kopech, Yoan, Crochett will get better than they were in 2022.   No reason to believe we will have a payroll above the 13th best.  No reason to think Colas, Montgomery, Vera, Popeye, Schultz, Ramos will be any good.   

5 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Wait - in every decade they've had a top payroll once out of those 10 years? Are you even serious here? Do you understand Chicago is a big market? They should have a top 5 payroll more often than not. And they should be in the top 10 every year.

That's NOT what I'm saying...over and over again I have said that when they have a contention window for a number of years they have a top ten payroll.  For forty years we have seen this pattern.  You want to b**** about poor evaluation of major league talent or poor drafting...fine.  But to whimper about the Sox not spending money is demonstrably wrong.  

Top ten payrolls in half of the last 16 years...2022, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006 and by the way I suspect never in the top ten of attendance or tv revenues.  

• Thanks 1

• bmags changed the title to Yanks Lure Aaron Judge back, $360M/9