Yanks Lure Aaron Judge back, $360M/9

hi8is

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Find me in a decade, but this will be an all time bad deal.

I don't know.  It it's a nine year deal, that's a lot per year.  But if he will still be cranking home runs at an impressive pace when he's 38-39, it won't look bad.  What will guys like him be getting paid 7-8 years from now?

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

I don't know.  It it's a nine year deal, that's a lot per year.  But if he will still be cranking home runs at an impressive pace when he's 38-39, it won't look bad.  What will guys like him be getting paid 7-8 years from now?

He probably won’t be cranking home runs at an impressive rate at that age. But if you get a couple more MVP quality seasons and a couple playoff births at the front end, doesn’t that pay for the entire deal? Especially in New York, keep the TVs on in September and October and keep fans in the seats and it’s worth tens of millions a year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He probably won’t be cranking home runs at an impressive rate at that age. But if you get a couple more MVP quality seasons and a couple playoff births at the front end, doesn’t that pay for the entire deal? Especially in New York, keep the TVs on in September and October and keep fans in the seats and it’s worth tens of millions a year.

True.  And I do believe could still be hitting bombs late in that deal.  He may never hit 60 in a year again, but cranking 30-35 a year when he's 38?  Definitely possible.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox need a new owner so badly

Even when he sells you know it will be to a large group with a board that will run it like a business.  Zero chance we get the billionaire fan who treats it like his toy and/or path to celebrity.  

Obviously, I'll still take the Obama/Star Wars group backed by one of these Chicago funds that have bought Euro soccer clubs.... but we will still be very pragmatic and measured.  

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Even when he sells you know it will be to a large group with a board that will run it like a business.  Zero chance we get the billionaire fan who treats it like his toy and/or path to celebrity.  

Obviously, I'll still take the Obama/Star Wars group backed by one of these Chicago funds that have bought Euro soccer clubs.... but we will still be very pragmatic and measured.  

For sure, it will be to a group that he ensured will “respect” baseball as much as he does.

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

These teams just don't get it.  Why sign a great player to be great when you can sign 5 shitty players and hope they're all not shitty.  

When the Players Union (or I should say their agents) chose to take only a mild raise for pre-arb players, they really paved the way for the stars of the game to make insane money and clubs to fill out their roster with under control youth. 

Wonder when we will get that memo? 

2 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

When the Players Union (or I should say their agents) chose to take only a mild raise for pre-arb players, they really paved the way for the stars of the game to make insane money and clubs to fill out their roster with under control youth. 

Wonder when we will get that memo? 

yeah...the only chance you have in the current meta is to draft and develop EXTREMELY well (ie Rays) or you have to pay up. That is it. No other real options. Sox suck at Free Agency...and are mediocre at drafting and developing...Trading is about all Hahn seems like he can do...and now it's starting to feel like baseball hell (not nearly as cryptic as the Bulls basketball hell)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

You say that like it’s a bad thing. A higher degree of professionalism from the team employees, who treat Ti like a billion dollar business? A recognition that maintaining a strong revenue stream requires people to have interest in your product? An understanding that this is an undervalued asset in the third biggest media market in the country, with solid growth potential that is being wasted?

I don’t ask the White Sox to be stupid with their spending. They don’t need to dig the same hole that Detroit’s owner did with that Cabrera extension. I understand teams need to rebuild sometimes. What I want is a team that is smart and wants to push its revenue and franchise value higher by building its fan base long term. Just stop being dumb, frankly. It’s a billion dollar business run like a child’s toy right now.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I mean, I'll take what Liberty Media has done for the braves.

• Like 2