Are White Sox Kicking the Tires on Salvy @ C

DirtySox

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Dunno if thread worthy.

It's such a weird blind item. Rosenthal says it would make sense, but the Royals aren't going to trade Perez. So much so that other clubs aren't even asking about him. They are asking about MJ Melendez, though.  But the Royals aren't trading him either. Column finished.

13 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Dunno if thread worthy.

I'm sure he's close to a lot of Royals.
Sox signed a Royals coach or 2.  That's it.  Not their players.

As for Eflin, the only knock I see is that he doesn't get enough innings in.  He would have been a good add for the rotation, even if they want a higher-end guy next year.  Price was reasonable and he's only 28.

Edited by GreenSox

10 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Not sure what Fox is talking about here. Statistically, Perez has been above to well above average defensively throughout his career

I always thought Salvy was a great defensive catcher.  He shuts down the running game by himself.  I guess metrics must show something different.  

40 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I always thought Salvy was a great defensive catcher.  He shuts down the running game by himself.  I guess metrics must show something different.  

He was very good when he was younger. But father time is a thing unfortunately. 

The question with Salvy and his contract is can there be creativity here. Moncada and his contract is no bargain, Grandal is out there.  I don't know what the options are but could there be a move that saves Royals money while Sox feel they ultimately get a better incremental value (I guess worthy of the $ they would spend).

I see zero scenario where you'd have Grandal and Salvy's contracts tied up to this team. Makes zero financial sense to have that much annual money committed to catchers that age.  But would Grandal for Salvy be something teams would consider. Royals save a lot of LT cash - Sox tie up LT cash but get someone who is probably more likely to be productive than Grandal (his body is just breaking down).  

Can't say I love it - knowing the Sox payroll committments down the road.