Is Now the Time to Trade Gio?

southsider2k5

9 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’m not advocating a trade of Gio, but is moving Reynaldo back to the rotation a possible consideration?

No , not really Katz was recently talking about how Lopez really likes the challenge of being a late innings reliever.

That's the reason why I've been suggesting trading Hendriks. Just put Rey in at closer. Probably won't get you Hendriks like results but Hendiks might be the only guy capable of netting you a decent return that could net you a LH MLB ready OF and something else if they expand the trade a little it to include one of our prospects.

59 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No , not really Katz was recently talking about how Lopez really likes the challenge of being a late innings reliever.

That's the reason why I've been suggesting trading Hendriks. Just put Rey in at closer. Probably won't get you Hendriks like results but Hendiks might be the only guy capable of netting you a decent return that could net you a LH MLB ready OF and something else if they expand the trade a little it to include one of our prospects.

According to DJ last year Lopez has previously talked about how he would like a shot to go back to the rotation. This came up in a game where they were talking about Kopech having done the bullpen to rotation move.

6 hours ago, Timmy U said:

If the Sox are serious about being “in their competitive window,” you would not trade Gio unless you got a haul.

What if you truly believe Quintana will have a better season than Giolito (and you knew you could sign Quintana)? Then you wouldn’t even need a haul. 

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tray said:

When the Sox brought Katz back I assumed that part of their intention was  to also stick with Gio.

I think it was, then Jerry got butt hurt of Gio wanting a small raise and Gio got promoted on his player's union role. It's a double-whammy kiss of death. Zero chance Gio has a future on this team.

I'd wait and see at the trade deadline. 

Say we trade him and get an OF. Then who replaces Gio? We're not going to sign someone that equals his performance and we don't have anyone in the minors that would either. 

We're trying to contend. If he's playing well and so is the team you keep him to try and win the WS even if you know he'll be gone. 

If he's playing well and we're not.. you trade him. 

I am leaning towards if you can get a serious piece, dealing him makes sense.  He was tragic his first two years, then figured it out with a pitching motion we all saw as volatile, potential drop off injury and likely not sustainable.  He isn't signing back next year so your only hope is a QO, but if he has another bad year, we wouldn't wanna offer that.  If you can solve another issue with him with a cheaper, more controlled player, it makes sense. Would I trade him for prospects? No.  He's a re-tool trade guy for me.