DeGrom 5/$185 to Texas

fathom

10 hours ago, bmags said:

Eh, I think this tracks so far with last few years. The $6-$8 mill happens in feb.

Remember braves jumping on Smyly for 1 yr $10 mill for like 8 IP a few years ago? Anyone teams think have potential go for $10-$16 mil. Surprise to me is Eflins years.

The Disney money is burning a hole in the pockets of owners and GM 's now. They got it and they're spending it.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Disney money is burning a hole in the pockets of owners and GM 's now. They got it and they're spending it.

Must be nice to have an owner that prioritizes winning. I'd much, much rather "overpay" for a star player in this contention window than whatever the hell Jerry is doing right now.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

That is really insane for a pitcher. This is one area I agree with JR. Develop your own or get them in short term deals for big bucks - long term with massive bucks is just so risky. 

We are used to being cheap. It's always better to sign elite players when you can. We sign guys past their primes looking to catch lightning and that rarely works. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Legitimately shocked Cohen let deGrom leave the Mets. I'd now expect them to pivot towards signing one of Verlander or Rodon.

Maybe they're not all that confident in his ability to stay healthy. 

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rangers now have signed three players to +$185M contracts in the last ~12 months whereas the Sox have sign zero $75+ contracts in franchise history.

Semien had a higher fWAR last year than any White Sox 2nd basemen has since 1965. But the final few years on that deal might get ugly, so clearly Jerry's approach to not even bother with signing good players is the way to go 🙂

• Like 2