Bryan Reynolds’s requests trade

Chicago White Sox

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is very little chance this team is under .500 come July tho. Just Parkman  managing expectations in his own head. 

Come on man. This team is projected to be below .500 for the season by ZiPS, lost Abreu and Cueto, was under .500 last July, and has a tougher schedule this year. There is certainly a chance of that, a solid one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Come on man. This team is projected to be below .500 for the season by ZiPS, lost Abreu and Cueto, was under .500 last July, and has a tougher schedule this year. There is certainly a chance of that, a solid one.

Those ZiPS projections are insanely conservative for our younger position players though.  I think with even just reasonable additions it’s unlikely we finish below .500 next year.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who is offering more than that?

We have a really good recent comparison. Adam Eaton was a guy with 3 years of control coming off 2 five win seasons.

He returned a guy who was recently a top 10 prospect but who had a down season (Gio), a consensus top 50 prospect, and a borderline top 100 prospect, plus another wild card. Right now, Montgomery is #60 by MLB.com, and Vaughn although he has substantial value still he has put up two negative years, clearly can’t play anywhere other than 1b, and has already lost two pre arbitration years. Those two have clearly less value than the Sox got for Eaton.

Numerous teams can match that with two top 75 prospects. Cleveland, LAD, St Louis are some I noted earlier, and those offers would have a big advantage over Vaughn for Pittsburgh because they have two extra years of control on a guy.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We have a really good recent comparison. Adam Eaton was a guy with 3 years of control coming off 2 five win seasons.

He returned a guy who was recently a top 10 prospect but who had a down season (Gio), a consensus top 50 prospect, and a borderline top 100 prospect, plus another wild card. Right now, Montgomery is #60 by MLB.com, and Vaughn although he has substantial value still he has put up two negative years, clearly can’t play anywhere other than 1b, and has already lost two pre arbitration years. Those two have clearly less value than the Sox got for Eaton.

Numerous teams can match that with two top 75 prospects. Cleveland, LAD, St Louis are some I noted earlier, and those offers would have a big advantage over Vaughn for Pittsburgh because they have two extra years of control on a guy.

At the time of trade, Giolito was a top 10 (but would drop with the new update), and Lopez was a top 50 (late 40s). Dunning was the fringe 100-150 guy that finally made the list a a year later 

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

At the time of trade, Giolito was a top 10 (but would drop with the new update), and Lopez was a top 50 (late 40s). Dunning was the fringe 100-150 guy that finally made the list a a year later 

These were their MLB pipeline rankings

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The game has radically changed since then and blue chip prospects are more valuable than ever.  The Adam Eaton deal is a poor comp for a Reynolds trade.

Regardless, two top 75 prospects is not worth the same as Montgomery & Vaughn.  Teams aren’t stupid.  Andrew was a top 20 prospect who was rushed like crazy and played out of position by a desperately dumb organization.  This same kid had a 125 wRC+ through August of last year despite the worst hitting coach in baseball playing up his worst tendencies and before his legs wore out from playing the OF.  Every intelligent organization would die to acquire him and watch him develop into a 140 wRC+ hitter.  He’s worth considerably more than you think he is despite only four years of control.

And conveniently you use the MLB.com rankings for Montgomery and not Baseball America’s, who have him as the #35 overall prospect.  The difference between the #35 prospect and a guy in the 60’s or 70’s is massive.  And guys like Montgomery, especially of the positional variety, don’t get moved very often in this day and age.  He is the type of centerpiece prospect that would get the Pirates’ attention and one very clubs would be willing to match.  Honestly, I’m doubtful the Sox would even consider moving him.

I truly believe something like Montgomery, Ramos, & Vera would be incredibly tempting to the Pirates and I’m not sure many teams would actually want to pay a steeper price than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The Giolito ranking is very misleading as he was losing some helium by the time we acquired him.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

1 6 WAR season that then regressed to his mean of 3 isn't worth all these crazy packages I'm seeing, 3 years of control or not.

The mean would have been his 4.5 war rookie season. Again his offensive WAR last year was around 4.5, but he was dinged for defense in center when should be in a corner and would be with the Sox. I don’t know what happened in 2020 but I imagine over a full season he would have rebounded. 

i'd trade Vaughn for him, but it would sting now that abreu already signed with houston

a shame the sox couldn't have tried to pull this off last year.  would've allowed them to re-sign abreu for a couple more years and solidify their OF

i wish we had a real GM