Bryan Reynolds’s requests trade

Chicago White Sox

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This is like Montgomery, Colas, Perez, and maybe a 4th piece to be in play for it for the White Sox.

I think you’re going to overboard eithe the talent offer. 

I could see a Gavin Sheets. Jake Burger and maybe Davis Martin 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The game has radically changed since then and blue chip prospects are more valuable than ever.  The Adam Eaton deal is a poor comp for a Reynolds trade.

Regardless, two top 75 prospects is not worth the same as Montgomery & Vaughn.  Teams aren’t stupid.  Andrew was a top 20 prospect who was rushed like crazy and played out of position by a desperately dumb organization.  This same kid had a 125 wRC+ through August of last year despite the worst hitting coach in baseball playing up his worst tendencies and before his legs wore out from playing the OF.  Every intelligent organization would die to acquire him and watch him develop into a 140 wRC+ hitter.  He’s worth considerably more than you think he is despite only four years of control.

And conveniently you use the MLB.com rankings for Montgomery and not Baseball America’s, who have him as the #35 overall prospect.  The difference between the #35 prospect and a guy in the 60’s or 70’s is massive.  And guys like Montgomery, especially of the positional variety, don’t get moved very often in this day and age.  He is the type of centerpiece prospect that would get the Pirates’ attention and one very clubs would be willing to match.  Honestly, I’m doubtful the Sox would even consider moving him.

I truly believe something like Montgomery, Ramos, & Vera would be incredibly tempting to the Pirates and I’m not sure many teams would actually want to pay a steeper price than that.

While this is a solid slogan, that teams are hoarding prospects more than ever, when you check numbers this doesn’t hold up. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospects-traded-at-2022-trade-deadline

At the 2022 trade deadline, there were 7 top 100 prospects traded. That was the highest since 2017. That’s the same number as when the White Sox were doing their big moves. This year, the number 17 and number 22 prospects were guys acquired in trades.

Looking back a year, at the midpoint in 2021 12 top 100 prospects were guys who had been traded. This includes Top guys such as Sixto Sánchez and O’Neil Cruz. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-prospects-acquired-in-trades

You might be able to convince me that teams are less likely to trade top 10 prospects right now, but Montgomery isn’t that. 

With what the Dodgers and Padres have done in recent years, I think you will have trouble supporting a statement that teams are less willing to trade top prospects than they were 5 years ago, and the last trade deadline supports that. Do you have any data that you can cite that supports your intuition that teams do this less than 5 years ago?

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

The pirates message was correct in that Reynolds has less than zero leverage.

This is obviously about his contract situation, his agent hoping that someone in the organization is interested in another team’s possible offer. So gin up some offers. But it seems like a hail mary pass by Reynolds.

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

While this is a solid slogan, that teams are hoarding prospects more than ever, when you check numbers this doesn’t hold up. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospects-traded-at-2022-trade-deadline

At the 2022 trade deadline, there were 7 top 100 prospects traded. That was the highest since 2017. That’s the same number as when the White Sox were doing their big moves. This year, the number 17 and number 22 prospects were guys acquired in trades.

Looking back a year, at the midpoint in 2021 12 top 100 prospects were guys who had been traded. This includes Top guys such as Sixto Sánchez and O’Neil Cruz. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-prospects-acquired-in-trades

You might be able to convince me that teams are less likely to trade top 10 prospects right now, but Montgomery isn’t that. 

With what the Dodgers and Padres have done in recent years, I think you will have trouble supporting a statement that teams are less willing to trade top prospects than they were 5 years ago, and the last trade deadline supports that. Do you have any data that you can cite that supports your intuition that teams do this less than 5 years ago?

I word for word said “blue chip prospects”, which I view as guys with a 55 FV grade or above.  On average, there are 40 to 50 of these guys in a given year.

There were three of those traded at the deadline.  Two went for a sure-fire future Hall of Famer and the other went to a team with a 20 year post-season draught in a trade that was generally viewed as an abnormally high price.  

Why don’t you tell me how many of those 2021 top 100 prospects were traded when they were top 40 to 50 prospects?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Montgomery and Vaughn as the core is a strong offer. Might still not win but a solid offer.

I would be ok with this as a base for an offer. As long as Jerry is willing to spend more money. Because then he needs to pay a 1B like Josh Bell.

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I word for word said “blue chip prospects”, which I view as guys with a 55 FV grade or above.  On average, there are 40 to 50 of these guys in a given year.

There were three of those traded at the deadline.  Two went for a sure-fire future Hall of Famer and the other went to a team with a 20 year post-season draught in a trade that was generally viewed as an abnormally high price.  

Why don’t you tell me how many of those 2021 top 100 prospects were traded when they were top 40 to 50 prospects?

But Colson Montgomery is listed as a 50 FV on Fangraphs right now so he would not count if dealt by your standard?

59 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I would be ok with this as a base for an offer. As long as Jerry is willing to spend more money. Because then he needs to pay a 1B like Josh Bell.

What am I missing with Reynolds?  There’s not a chance in hell I’m giving up Vaughn and Montgomery for him. 

• Like 2

What, you thought I was going to leave him off the list again? Reynolds had what will almost certainly be the best season of his career in 2021, but he’s still good this year even if he’s taken a step back. Maybe we let our collective trust in the scouting community get the better of us last year; Reynolds looked vaguely bust-ish as a Giants farmhand, and his early-career success was so BABIP-driven that it was easy to miss what was going on under the hood.

As it turns out, Reynolds has a lot working in his favor. He hits the ball hard, and he hits it in the air. His speed turns balls hit to the outfield into extra-base hits. There are warning signs, no doubt. A lot of his game is built on finding pitches to hit, and he’s having a down plate discipline year. Still, even a diminished Reynolds is a solid addition to any lineup. If you’re looking for a good-hitting center fielder, it’s Reynolds, free-agent-to-be Brandon Nimmo, and a bunch of superstars locked up on long-term deals. When you put it that way, maybe Reynolds should be higher.

Except, I’m not convinced he’s a true center fielder. His instincts out there leave something to be desired, and the defensive metrics mostly agree; they were mixed on him last year and unanimously see him as one of the worst center field defenders in baseball this year. That matches the eye test. Reynolds looks like a competent corner outfielder miscast in a tough job – perhaps a left fielder, given his throwing arm. With his bat, that’s still a really nice player, and given his age and contract status, it’s not like you’re risking much.

Reynolds was #34 on Fangraphs mid-season trade value list fwiw

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2022-trade-value-31-to-40/

Edited by maxjusttyped

3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Damn

Reading posts here and Twitter you would think Reynolds is the next coming of Mike trout.

Yes, we need to give up Vaughn, gio, and Montgomery...

Fucking dumbasses .......any and all of you who believe that 

🤡

I'm going to quote myself because you all piss me off.

DO ANY OF YOU CLOWNS 🤡 actually watch baseball or are you playing video games???

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

I think you’re going to overboard eithe the talent offer. 

I could see a Gavin Sheets. Jake Burger and maybe Davis Martin 

I'm sorry for any previous rude posts of mine. You're one of my favorite posters now!