Bryan Reynolds’s requests trade

Chicago White Sox

8 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

What am I missing with Reynolds?  There’s not a chance in hell I’m giving up Vaughn and Montgomery for him. 

He checks all the boxes for what this team needs. Power, on base, good defense, can mash RH pitching. If you could pull off a trade that doesn't include Colas, the Sox could have a potential monster outfield of Colas, Robert and Reynolds.

At this point - why not, if you could pull that off, which you probably couldn't? The time to go for it is now. This team probably won't be all that great several years from now. Put all chips in and see where it goes.

Edited by Sarava

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

He checks all the boxes for what this team needs. Power, on base, good defense, can mash RH pitching. If you could pull off a trade that doesn't include Colas, the Sox could have a potential monster outfield of Colas, Robert and Reynolds.

At this point - why not, if you could pull that off, which you probably couldn't? The time to go for it is now. This team probably won't be all that great several years from now. Put all chips in and see where it goes.

But then you suggested signing Josh Bell to replace Vaughn. If we’re willing to spend, then just sign Nimmo. Which option would you rather have?

1. Reynolds OF, Bell 1B, no Montgomery in the system 

2. Nimmo OF, Vaughn 1B, Montgomery still in the system 

I would take option 2, and it’s not particularly close in my opinion. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

But then you suggested signing Josh Bell to replace Vaughn. If we’re willing to spend, then just sign Nimmo. Which option would you rather have?

2 easy

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I would go #2 because of keeping Montgomery. But Jerry isn't spending the cash to sign Nimmo, so that's a moot point. I'm assuming Bell would be significantly cheaper.

12 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

This is obviously about his contract situation, his agent hoping that someone in the organization is interested in another team’s possible offer. So gin up some offers. But it seems like a hail mary pass by Reynolds.

Of course it is, but what threat is it to the pirates that he is leaving in FA? They know that already. They’ll trade him when they are good and ready or just let him walk and collect comp picks.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

2, without a second thought, or even a second of hesitation.  Sadly we will likely get neither. 

11 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I would go #2 because of keeping Montgomery. But Jerry isn't spending the cash to sign Nimmo, so that's a moot point. I'm assuming Bell would be significantly cheaper.

Yeah I can’t imagine bell gets much.

Schwarber got 4/80 last year after absolutely mashing. But is largely positionless. So that’s the ceiling. Nimmo could get 50-75% more than that.

Meanwhile Bell is not Schwarber, his power isn’t near as dangerous. 

Im not even sure. 2 for $30? 3 for $48 tops?

28 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What do you think the combined salary will be for Reynolds and Bell in 2023?

20 mil or slightly over. Reynolds contract is cheap, which is all the more reason his value will sore high. But more important as far as our budget-minded owner is concerned, nowhere near as long of a commitment as Nimmo will demand.

47 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah I can’t imagine bell gets much.

Schwarber got 4/80 last year after absolutely mashing. But is largely positionless. So that’s the ceiling. Nimmo could get 50-75% more than that.

Meanwhile Bell is not Schwarber, his power isn’t near as dangerous. 

Im not even sure. 2 for $30? 3 for $48 tops?

If Sox trade AV, let Abreu walk and then turn around and give Josh Bell 3/$48M. Oh my. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’m not sure Quintana is a clear downgrade at this point. He outpitched him by a mile last year. Sub 3 ERA and FIP, led league in hr/9. Eight home runs in 163 IP is incredible these days. Not to mention Gio’s pending free agency at which point Sox get nothing but a chance to offer QO, which, if he were to pitch like last year, would be inadvisable

Jose was better last year, but gun to head I’m taking Giolito over him for next year.

55 minutes ago, Sarava said:

20 mil or slightly over. Reynolds contract is cheap, which is all the more reason his value will sore high. But more important as far as our budget-minded owner is concerned, nowhere near as long of a commitment as Nimmo will demand.

Isn’t that approximately what Vaughn and Nimmo will make in 2023 also?

56 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If Sox trade AV, let Abreu walk and then turn around and give Josh Bell 3/$48M. Oh my. 

If it involves us getting an all-star caliber LH OF’er who cares? 1B should be the easiest position to fill. Even if you don’t want to commit that $ to Bell there are other options that will fill 1B adequately. I’be been a Vaughn supporter and haven’t wanted to trade him…but what’s his ceiling really? 

Of course signing Nimmo is the easy answer, but people casually talking about that like it’s not going to be a contract 30+M bigger than any contract Jerry has ever signed is crazy. It’s not going to happen. If we want to get an impact OF’er it’s most likely going to have to be a trade giving up guys we don’t want to like it or not.

With that said, I would only do a deal with 1 of Vaughn or Montgomery, not both. Vaughn, Crochett, Ramos + 1 of Sosa or Rodriguez should be enough I believe. If someone beats that offer then oh well. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jose was better last year, but gun to head I’m taking Giolito over him for next year.

If Quintana is fully healthy it could go either way. The dude can obviously pitch. You don’t just luck your way into that kind of HR rate over a full season, and he had a good walk rate to go along with it. At any rate, I’d take Q all day over Manaea at least

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Do you honestly think the White Sox are going to sign a free agent to a contract over 100 million $ this off season? 

No. I don’t. This conversation started because Sarava said he would trade Vaughn and Montgomery for Reynolds and then sign Bell to play 1B. 

My point was that IF we were willing to spend money on Bell after that hypothetical trade, then we should just sign Nimmo and keep Vaughn and Montgomery. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If it involves us getting an all-star caliber LH OF’er who cares? 1B should be the easiest position to fill. Even if you don’t want to commit that $ to Bell there are other options that will fill 1B adequately. I’be been a Vaughn supporter and haven’t wanted to trade him…but what’s his ceiling really? 

Of course signing Nimmo is the easy answer, but people casually talking about that like it’s not going to be a contract 30+M bigger than any contract Jerry has ever signed is crazy. It’s not going to happen. If we want to get an impact OF’er it’s most likely going to have to be a trade giving up guys we don’t want to like it or not.

With that said, I would only do a deal with 1 of Vaughn or Montgomery, not both. Vaughn, Crochett, Ramos + 1 of Sosa or Rodriguez should be enough I believe. If someone beats that offer then oh well. 

Vaughn's ceiling is Maggs 1st 3 years in Detroit IMO. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maggs had an 8.0 WAR season his 3rd year in Detroit. If Vaughn is capable of 8 WAR seasons , getting rid of him before he even hits arb would cement Hahn as worst Sox GM ever, and he would be high on the all time league list.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I’d say the 2006 version specifically. .298/.350/.477 with 24 HR’s sounds about right to hope to get out of Vaughn’s prime years. Very good player, shouldn’t be looking to get rid of that player by any means…but when you are talking about a 1B/DH only type of guy the value obviously goes down. If Vaughn could be used in a package without Colas or Montgomery to get an all-star caliber LH OF’er I think you’d have to seriously consider it. 

• Like 1

I still think Sheets has more upside than  some others here do.  I would like to see him platoon at 1B against RH pitchers and in RF on occasion. This kid could end up being a 30+ HR hitter.  He offers the upside of big LH power that has been lacking for years on the Southside. If Vaughn is the other player in a 1B platoon, he becomes less valuable to the Sox and more likely to be traded.

Edited by tray

23 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This is like Montgomery, Colas, Perez, and maybe a 4th piece to be in play for it for the White Sox.

No way would I trade Montgomery. I’d rather part with a combination of Sheets and others. Maybe Burger and Sheets? Moncada is not going anywhere. I’d love Reynolds’s but as you can see by the shortstop market. In 2 years Anderson is gone. He’ll be 32/33 years old. Montgomery spends 2023 in double or triple A and then is ready to takeover at short with possibly 5 or 6 years of control. Kepler will never be traded to the Sox although inter division trades are happening more often. Just sign Conforto, put Corlas out there and keep Montgomery.