Rule 5 Wednesday

BamaDoc

I see the Sox have 35 on the 40 man roster, not including Clevinger, which would make 36.  Anyone looked at the available players and see anything?  Figure anyone in outfield or mid infield(2b) that hit left handed or switch, catcher and pitching are all possibles or do we expect the Sox to sit it out???   With new coaches, anyone in KC system interesting?  Sorry, I have been occupied and not digging myself.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd be shocked if the Sox grabbed someone in the MLB portion. They see themselves as "in the competitive window."  If they didn't have so much overpaid talent clogging up the garbage innings of their bullpen, I could imagine taking a flyer on a reliever, but to give a position player even 200 ab and keep them on the roster all year, that's a rebuild move.

I find it hard to believe they lose anyone either. One outlet suggested Mieses, which, well I have a hard time seeing.  I suppose someone could take a long shot like Freeman or Schilling, but neither of them performed down the stretch.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

According to Merkin. the Sox are expected to pass. 

They have one real OF on the 40-man roster (unless you really want to count Eloy, Sheets). We obviously don't need to pick up anyone else for free. At least for not even for a backup/platoon role.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

makes sense. I've started to figure that hahn and co are now in late era garpax mode where they got incredibly lazy, were leaving up scouting internationally to one consultant, and gar just going to games. Any chances to add other resources were always declined.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

If the Sox don’t at least nab an arm to compete for a back end bullpen job, they are clearly asleep at the wheel. No way there isn’t a guy available worthy of competing with the likes of Ruiz and Martin

They already are 8 deep in their bullpen, so if somehow everyone is healthy at the end of spring training that will probably send Lambert down. 

Hendriks, Kelly, Graveman, Lopez, Diekmann, Bummer, Ruiz (all on major league deals, although technically I think Bummer may still have an option remaining). Lambert (options available). Foster has options available I believe as well, and midseason it is likely Crochet has some availability. 

Unless they trade someone, they have no room for anyone who isn't on a minor league deal or doesn't have options remaining. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

This makes zero sense.  The Sox are a joke. Why not spend a little bit to get at least one power arm in your org (or an outfielder) to give a tryout to. Worse case you send them back. They really are a joke of the org. They don't do anything on the margins, spend on all the relievers / utility guys, don't invest well in the farm, don't spend on big free agents.  Don't have a strategy.  Just a sad state of affairs.  

• Like 1

The rule 5 puck can be cut, though. On the other hand, declining to acquire players because you have players like Ruiz is right up the Sox alley. Just don’t agree with simply pencilling in the weakest guys on the roster. Ruiz isn’t the caliber of player to block acquisition of potentially better players. Of course, neither is Leury yet the sox locked him up none the less

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

This makes zero sense.  The Sox are a joke. Why not spend a little bit to get at least one power arm in your org to give a tryout to. Worse case you send them back. They really are a joke of the org. They don't do anything on the margins, spend on all the relievers / utility guys, don't invest well in the farm, don't spend on big free agents.  Don't have a strategy.  Just a sad state of affairs.  

I totally get skipping on the pitching.  The Sox have to carry this guy on the MLB roster and they quite literally have no room on the pitching side.

Not grabbing a guy to compete for the 4th OF spot, or even the quasi-catcher/OF makes little sense.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I totally get skipping on the pitching.  The Sox have to carry this guy on the MLB roster and they quite literally have no room on the pitching side.

Not grabbing a guy to compete for the 4th OF spot, or even the quasi-catcher/OF makes little sense.  

Worse case you send him back. They have pretty crappy relievers on the roster currently. Why not take a guy with a plus arm (you have the 40 man space) and get a free trial. If you like him - you keep him. If you like his upside but don't like the long-term, cut a deal with the other org to keep him but be able to send him down.  Or if you don't like him - it is a drop in the bucket and send him back to the org. There is literally no downside - unless the Sox plan on adding a gagillion guys to the 40 man. But right now they have like 5 open spots - so even if that happens - take a shot now.  

Or if it isn't a reliever, take a guy that you think could be a 4th or 5th outfielder to get depth. Same thing - if you don't end up liking them or something better comes about, you let him back to the other team and pay the very very nominal price.  There is literally ZERO downside to this.  The Sox just wasted an opportunity to marginally improve the squad.  Wasted it. 

If I were them with the amount of open spots - I would have taken 2 guys - one reliever and one outfielder and worse case I'd let them go back to their orgs, but at least got a free preview with my personal and coaching team to work with them and see what is there.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I feel like recently we've seen teams care about htis much less. Quite a few guys have been returned and even the original team has passed bringing them back. I think like 2-3 picks this happened to last year.

So to me it's really just about the $100k. You bring a guy in, get him a try out, if you don't want him on the opening day roster, offer him back. There are 5 spots open. It's not like thereare many tough decisions currently.

4 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

You guys must have a lot higher estimation of the Sox bullpen if you actually believe they have no room. Either the rule 5 pick or Ruiz can be cut. No big loss either way. A guy like Ruiz is the definition of replaceable

I am not saying he's not replaceable - I would have non-tendered him myself purely for the roster flexibility.  But this guy you're grabbing #15 in the Rule 5 isn't going to better than Ruiz is right now, and the Sox quite literally have no one to option except Lambert who was pretty darn good out of the pen last year.  

The Sox also probably have one the better bullpens in the game, tbh.