Rodon to the Yankees, $162 million

southsider2k5

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

This is one of those deals that I could see 6 years from now looking fantastic. I could also see plenty of scenarios where it doesn't.  The reality is how close does he get to that.  The question to me is how much does he continue to put in the work, maintain his body, etc after getting the longer term deal. The stuff will play into his mid 30's (no issue there). 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

This is one of those deals that I could see 6 years from now looking fantastic. I could also see plenty of scenarios where it doesn't.  The reality is how close does he get to that.  The question to me is how much does he continue to put in the work, maintain his body, etc after getting the longer term deal. The stuff will play into his mid 30's (no issue there). 

For my two cents, it isn't the per year that would scare me most, it is the years.  I would rather give him a front loaded heavier in dollars, versus longer in years.

• Like 2

I like Rodons chances of staying healthy for 6 years at this stage more  than deGrom for 5. But it is crazy. I do bet he gets at least 5 years, and who ever gets him will get more bang for their buck than the Rangers..

The one problem is there's a decent chance Boras drags this on for a while and if you don't get him you are SOL. 

• Like 1

I can't believe how negative the reaction to this is, considering we (rightfully) lambasted this team for not extending a QO to him last offseason. 6/180 is different of course, but all the "just wait until he falls apart in August!" people were wrong, and chances are they'll be wrong again.

I wish we were actually a contender to sign him, but he's unfortunately too good of a player to be a realistic target at this point. I don't think the risk is that excessive since he has a relatively low innings load for his age

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would be scared to give him a 1 year 18.5 m offer in case he signed. Would totally derail some bullpen signings.

Almost like they should have paid a $1M buyout for Kimbrel and offered Rodon a QO instead of picking up the option and dealing him for Pollock and paying him $18M total.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I can't believe how negative the reaction to this is, considering we (rightfully) lambasted this team for not extending a QO to him last offseason. 6/180 is different of course, but all the "just wait until he falls apart in August!" people were wrong, and chances are they'll be wrong again.

I wish we were actually a contender to sign him, but he's unfortunately too good of a player to be a realistic target at this point. I don't think the risk is that excessive since he has a relatively low innings load for his age

I will take that bet. I was WRONG about last season...I guarantee you he doesn't pitch over 180 innings on more than 2 years of the 6. Shoulder issues will always linger and Carlos really isn't the model of diet/conditioning that can overcome it. 

13 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The sad part was as fans we had to sit this fun part out for years because the team was rebuilding.  Now we have to sit it out because JR has a desire to die with as much money aa possible.  I sure hope Jim Thompsons heirs are in his will. The guy getting GRF built made JR billions. Could you image how bad his teams in Tampa with their 1980s approach would be with half the revenue he gets with the White Sox. Not to mention how he probably would have been forced to sell the Bulls because he would have been public enemy #1, before their dominance.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

I will take that bet. I was WRONG about last season...I guarantee you he doesn't pitch over 180 innings on more than 2 years of the 6. Shoulder issues will always linger and Carlos really isn't the model of diet/conditioning that can overcome it. 

I think he's doing better with his conditioning. And it's one thing owners really trust with Boras clients. He is a conditioning stickler after signing big deals.

3 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

A broken 35 year old DeGrom just got 5-$185M, 29 year old Carlos has every right to ask for that deal and someone will likely pay it. 

His agent is going to ask for MORE now that Verlander got that deal...and I agree...he should ask for it. If anyone does give it to him...well...good luck. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

His agent is going to ask for MORE now that Verlander got that deal...and I agree...he should ask for it. If anyone does give it to him...well...good luck. 

For sure, if I'm extending that deal to Carlos I want an opt out after year 2-3, and the final 2 years to be team options, but with the insane numbers these old guys are getting, I bet some GM justifies it by 'Los being the best under 30 arm on the market and giving him something close to that.  I would think Robbie Ray's deal last year and tacking on a bit for inflation would be the starting point for his negotiations. 

54 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For my two cents, it isn't the per year that would scare me most, it is the years.  I would rather give him a front loaded heavier in dollars, versus longer in years.

Yeah - I would prefer a 4 year deal with Rodon. Give him 130M+. Obivously I am still far apart in this deal from his ask. Will be curious where everything ends up.  

I think good ref point for Rodon will be zach wheelers 5 year 120. It came after a pop-up year after years of lack of health.

He signed it for age 30 season, same as Rodon.

Years have passed, bigger CBA, more competitive teams.

I'd say 6 for 180 is feasible, 5 for 150 is likely, 5 for 140 maybe the low -end of expected.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I think good ref point for Rodon will be zach wheelers 5 year 120. It came after a pop-up year after years of lack of health.

He signed it for age 30 season, same as Rodon.

Years have passed, bigger CBA, more competitive teams.

I'd say 6 for 180 is feasible, 5 for 150 is likely, 5 for 140 maybe the low -end of expected.

Wheeler had 3/4 years of over 180 innings prior to his Philly deal.

• Balta1701 changed the title to Rodon to the Yankees, $162 million