Rodon to the Yankees, $162 million

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Wheeler had 3/4 years of over 180 innings prior to his Philly deal.

But in 2017 Wheeler was hurt, so Wheeler had only 2 healthy seasons prior to his deal. In those seasons he put up 4.2 and 4.6 fWAR (3.6 and 3.3 by B-R).

In the 2 seasons prior to now, Rodon has put up 4.9 and 6.1 fWAR (5.1 and 5.4 rWAR).

This is what my brain prepping for a statistics final came up with:

2023: $30M

2024: $26M, becomes $30M with a Top 3 CY finish in 2023

2025: $22M, becomes $26M with a Top 4 CY finish in 2024, becomes $30M with Top 4 CY finishes in both 2023 and 2024

2026: $18M, becomes $22M with a Top 5 CY finish in 2025, becomes $26M with Top 5 CY finishes in both 2024 and 2025, becomes $30M with Top 5 CY finishes in 2023, 2024 and 2025.

2027-2029: If 180+ IP the previous year AND 450+ IP the previous 3 years, $30M club option with $15M buyout, otherwise $18M club option with $4M buyout.

On 12/5/2022 at 12:28 PM, JoeCredeYes said:

A broken 35 year old DeGrom just got 5-$185M, 29 year old Carlos has every right to ask for that deal and someone will likely pay it. 

Which of the big market teams need a SP the most? Mets I'm guessing, who else? 

3 hours ago, joejoesox said:

Which of the big market teams need a SP the most? Mets I'm guessing, who else? 

The Dodgers. They have young guys but they are not a strong big league rotation right now, Buehler is out. Right now their penciled in 5th starter has 6 career starts. Gonsolin has never started more than the 24 games he did last year. Kershaw obviously won't be pitching 200 innings. May is returning from TJS. If the Dodgers don't sign or trade for a starter they should literally start selling and get out of the luxury tax multi year penalties, it's that big of a deal for them. 

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Dodgers. They have young guys but they are not a strong big league rotation right now, Buehler is out. Right now their penciled in 5th starter has 6 career starts. Gonsolin has never started more than the 24 games he did last year. Kershaw obviously won't be pitching 200 innings. May is returning from TJS. If the Dodgers don't sign or trade for a starter they should literally start selling and get out of the luxury tax multi year penalties, it's that big of a deal for them. 

They literally have one of the best starting staffs in baseball.. How is this not "strong": Urias, Kershaw, Gonsolin, May, and then like 3 top 100 SP that are all knocking on the door and ready for MLB.  They'll be just fine with some cheapish depth addition. There is no need to get below the tax because of this "not strong" staff..
EDIT: Yes, they could use Giolito or anyone.. But to insinuate they have a weak staff is asinine.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

people should go back and read the thread when he signed for 1yr, 3mm. Lots of great takes. (they were mostly negative)

I've always liked Carlos and wish him the best. I hope he gets his money. 

I'd give him 4/120mm tops. In no way should he approach what DeGrom gets. 

Also not apples to apples, but this is why contracts like the one we gave to Danks or to Gavin Floyd aren't actually bad even if they were. You have to roll the dice sometimes and lock in years and pay. If we truly saw the talent Rodon had and believed in his health ... we should've offered him something he couldn't refuse. Same with Giolito this year .. he's off a bad year, but if you can get him on 4/80 I'd take it. Pitchers don't grow on trees and very soon the Sox are not going to have many ....

Giolito and Lynn have little time left. Clevinger is a one year deal ... we don't have much to speak of in the minors. No matter what our offense looks like you're not winning much if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel each FA season like the LA Angels do trying to pencil in a rotation each year. I can already see our future each year signing the likes of Rich HIll, VV, Ross Stripling, Cueto, Smyly, Quintana types and just hoping we get a good year out of them. 

• Balta1701 changed the title to Rodon to the Yankees, $162 million