Rodon to the Yankees, $162 million

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

You truly think that GMs should only get a year or two before being on the hot seat? That is how terrible organizations are run. 

It was apparent by the end of 2015 that Hahn sucked. That is when he should have been fired. 

Learning on the job is allowed. Wanting a GM fired after his second year on the job is unreasonable, IMO. 

We also know the Sox don’t operate like most teams. They have multiple hands in the cookie jar that makes it impossible to point a finger at any one individual to place all the blame upon.

22 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

We also know the Sox don’t operate like most teams. They have multiple hands in the cookie jar that makes it impossible to point a finger at any one individual to place all the blame upon.

This is true, and I believe they operate that way to shield themselves from accountability. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 12:32 PM, joejoesox said:

aren't these contracts covered by insurance though 

Some are but some teams don't. If you have enough money insurances are a bad deal because the insurance doesn't give away money, they lessen variance. 

That means expected value is that if you pay your house insurance for 30 years you will lose money but you migitate the risk of being ruined by your house being burned down. 

In baseball the insurance will asses the risk of injury of the player and make you pay for it and since baseball owners are billionaires even a little 200m contract won't ruin them. 

That means they are really better off taking on that risk on themselves instead of paying the insurance for doing the same. 

Only advantage for a billionaire of insurance is that you pay it out over more years. 

Sure if player gets injured in year 1 the insurance pays off but if you insure 15 contracts over the average you lose money because that is how insurance makes profit, the "lucky" ones subsidize the unlucky one. 

Edited by Dominikk85

• 2 months later...
On 12/17/2022 at 10:32 PM, Dominikk85 said:

Some are but some teams don't. If you have enough money insurances are a bad deal because the insurance doesn't give away money, they lessen variance. 

That means expected value is that if you pay your house insurance for 30 years you will lose money but you migitate the risk of being ruined by your house being burned down. 

In baseball the insurance will asses the risk of injury of the player and make you pay for it and since baseball owners are billionaires even a little 200m contract won't ruin them. 

That means they are really better off taking on that risk on themselves instead of paying the insurance for doing the same. 

Only advantage for a billionaire of insurance is that you pay it out over more years. 

Sure if player gets injured in year 1 the insurance pays off but if you insure 15 contracts over the average you lose money because that is how insurance makes profit, the "lucky" ones subsidize the unlucky one. 

Kershaw couldn't be covered, for example.  Biggest reason why no Team USA appearance for him this year. 

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

The Yankees are so F**cked right now. Like seriously the injury bug is ravaging them, and it really opens up the AL. The Astros clearly the team to beat, but any team that can stay healthy in AL east could potentially knock them out. 

Orioles year finally?

59 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Ugh, that sucks. Cue the obnoxiously smug 'told ya so's.

Last year ended the I told you so.

He should have gotten the QO and pitched for the Sox last year and left via free agency.  I hope he does well but was not worth the risk to the White Sox for the deal he got.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Last year ended the I told you so.

He should have gotten the QO and pitched for the Sox last year and left via free agency.  I hope he does well but was not worth the risk to the White Sox for the deal he got.

Yeah, I never wanted him on that deal or even long term but would have welcomed him back on a one year QO deal or let him walk for the draft pick.

20 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

He never would have accepted QO.  The Sox blew getting the draft pick for him, but not a year of performance.

...I would half-jokingly suggest that JR told Hahn not to offer the QO, as that would have put more pressure to spend money on draft picks with the extra 1st-rounder....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Great column.....except for the fact not a single team in baseball wanted him in the spring of 2021....except the White Sox.

The Sox gave him a break by not giving him the QO and he's bitter??????  I liked him and always defended him but he sounds like an asshole in that story. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, JoeC said:

...I would half-jokingly suggest that JR told Hahn not to offer the QO, as that would have put more pressure to spend money on draft picks with the extra 1st-rounder....

Supplemental picks aren't that high... 

Edited by caulfield12