Rodon to the Yankees, $162 million

southsider2k5

This is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for any extensions on Giolito, Cease and Kopech.

Sale and Q might end up being the last two that go to White Sox starting pitchers.

Especially with Cease and Kopech already having gone through one TJS.  Revisions are much dicier, but improving each year.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for any extensions on Giolito, Cease and Kopech.

Sale and Q might end up being the last two that go to White Sox starting pitchers.

Especially with Cease and Kopech already having gone through one TJS.  Revisions are much dicier, but improving each year.

MLB Trade Rumors site had a show devoted just to Sox questions a few days ago. I scrolled through the transcript and when a fan asked about Giolito the response from the site was "He's as good as gone" for whatever that's worth. 

Here is the link to the transcript:

https://live.jotcast.com/chat/white-sox-offseason-chat-15248.html

• TLR 1

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Great column.....except for the fact not a single team in baseball wanted him in the spring of 2021....except the White Sox.

The Sox gave him a break by not giving him the QO and he's bitter??????  I liked him and always defended him but he sounds like an asshole in that story. 

We don't see eye to eye on how Rodon sounds. Everything he said perhaps he deserved it and it motivated him and that he kind of manufactured the slights into making them real for extra motivation.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

?

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We don't see eye to eye on how Rodon sounds. Everything he said perhaps he deserved it and it motivated him and that he kind of manufactured the slights into making them real for extra motivation.

Totally agree, he wasn’t really saying anything negative, just that he used everything he could for motivation. Not a big deal. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe I took it out of context.  I didn't really see a need for the story so I may have been jaded from the minute I opened it. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 6:39 PM, caulfield12 said:

Chris Sale has been a real work horse.

Here, meaning with the Yankees — a team that expects to be in the postseason every year.

“Look, I came to the Yankees because I wanted to win,” he said, “and I’m ecstatic that I’m a Yankee and I’m going to get a chance to pitch in multiple postseason runs for the rest of my career. They’re invested in their players, they invest in their facilities, their staff, everything. Baseball is at the forefront for them. Winning is at the forefront. Like, they care about it."

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 11:45 PM, pcq said:

Chris Sale has been a real work horse.

That doesn't change the fact that Sake and Q were the last two pitchers the Sox were able to secure with team friendly contract provisions at some point in their Year 1-5 seasons... buying out multiple arb years and extending out into FA years. 

On 3/9/2023 at 4:39 PM, caulfield12 said:

Giolito and Cease yes that's not happening esp Cease with Boras.

But Kopech hasn't made much money in his career so he'd be a good candidate for being open to a relatively team friendly extension. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Here, meaning with the Yankees — a team that expects to be in the postseason every year.

“Look, I came to the Yankees because I wanted to win,” he said, “and I’m ecstatic that I’m a Yankee and I’m going to get a chance to pitch in multiple postseason runs for the rest of my career. They’re invested in their players, they invest in their facilities, their staff, everything. Baseball is at the forefront for them. Winning is at the forefront. Like, they care about it."

Says the dude with Scott Boras as his agent. It was obviously about money. Well the Yankees can enjoy getting 300 innings for their 160 or whatever million.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Says the dude with Scott Boras as his agent. It was obviously about money. Well the Yankees can enjoy getting 300 innings for their 160 or whatever million.

If he just cared about winning where else would he go that doesn't spend big on free agents? 

It is kind of a circular argument, if a team prioritizes winning over profits they will spend more. But if the team spends more then players just come because of the money and not winning.

So teams like the Sox don't spend big on free agents because they are looking for players who just care about winning and not the biggest paychecks. Brilliant strategy JR. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If he just cared about winning where else would he go that doesn't spend big on free agents? 

It is kind of a circular argument, if a team prioritizes winning over profits they will spend more. But if the team spends more then players just come because of the money and not winning.

So teams like the Sox don't spend big on free agents because they are looking for players who just care about winning and not the biggest paychecks. Brilliant strategy JR. 

Yea, it's a tautology. The Yankees spend the most money, so they care about winning the most. They care about winning the most, so they spend the most money.

Well f*** the cheap ass Sox but you went there because of the money, the winning angle just came up after that money was satisfied. I guarantee if the Athletics had offered him 30 million more he'd be in the Bay Area.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea, it's a tautology. The Yankees spend the most money, so they care about winning the most. They care about winning the most, so they spend the most money.

Well f*** the cheap ass Sox but you went there because of the money, the winning angle just came up after that money was satisfied. I guarantee if the Athletics had offered him 30 million more he'd be in the Bay Area.

It's certainly possible. And I wouldn't be surprised. I also believe that if the Yankees, Astros, Dodgers toss out a competitive deal most players will take it.