Trea Turner to Phillies

Tnetennba

Turner turners 30 next June apparently, so this buys out his age 29-40 seasons. And he looks to be as surefire of a 4-5 win player on B-R and 5+ win player on Fangraphs as I've ever seen. Certainly seems reasonable that the last couple years will be a writeoff but that makes the Phillies offense a whole lot better and has to force the Dodgers to do something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Turner turners 30 next June apparently, so this buys out his age 29-40 seasons. And he looks to be as surefire of a 4-5 win player on B-R and 5+ win player on Fangraphs as I've ever seen. Certainly seems reasonable that the last couple years will be a writeoff but that makes the Phillies offense a whole lot better and has to force the Dodgers to do something. 

How bout the Dodgers trade for Anderson?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Can’t imagine how fun it must be to be a fan of 1 of these teams that actually participates in the big free agent signings….

Yeah, well, they'll be sorry in like 7 years when hes not that good anymore.

• Haha 4

One day... this will be us as fans. Maybe in 10 years, maybe in 5, maybe when I'm 80... but I know one day we'll land a big fish.

I'm sure there are plenty of weirdo's out there in white sox fandom gasping a sigh of relief as they laugh at those owners who spend.... "Duhhhh, a lot of big contracts end up bad. That would set us back a decade."

Meanwhile the White Sox strategy has set them back a century.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

One day... this will be us as fans. Maybe in 10 years, maybe in 5, maybe when I'm 80... but I know one day we'll land a big fish.

I'm sure there are plenty of weirdo's out there in white sox fandom gasping a sigh of relief as they laugh at those owners who spend.... "Duhhhh, a lot of big contracts end up bad. That would set us back a decade."

Meanwhile the White Sox strategy has set them back a century.

lol like the comment right above yours

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

lol like the comment right above yours

Trea, while fun to watch, chases way too many pitches and has particularly bad plate discipline.  Speed plays a huge part of his success, which tends to wane past 30.  Will he continue to hit so well on bad pitches?  I doubt it, hence my laughter for this absurd contract.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/trea-turner-607208?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Trea Turner has been one of my fav ball players of the decade.

What a world where instead we have Rodon on our team and are targeting Turner rather than watching both that we had and could have had in our "tank" year go to teams serious about winning.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Now laughing out loud at being called a casual, pretty obsessed with the sport. 

yeah...anyone who has an account on soxtalk and POSTs somewhat regularly being called a casual is the biggest case of message board virtue signaling I can imagine. 

All hail Ray for being a REAL DIEHARD

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Now laughing out loud at being called a casual, pretty obsessed with the sport. 

Turner is a very good defensive SS, an elite baserunner beyond just speed, in addition to being a ++ offensive player. He's not 35 years old. His bat could regress slightly and he'd still be a well above average player. 

The risk with Trea is injury related; if he stays healthy, he's probably the safest bet of any FA in this class. 

Swanson being probably the 2nd least risky given expected contract size.