Trea Turner to Phillies

Tnetennba

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

yeah...anyone who has an account on soxtalk and POSTs somewhat regularly being called a casual is the biggest case of message board virtue signaling I can imagine. 

All hail Ray for being a REAL DIEHARD

it was poking fun as a joke, nothing serious. hope that's ok with you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

yeah...anyone who has an account on soxtalk and POSTs somewhat regularly being called a casual is the biggest case of message board virtue signaling I can imagine. 

All hail Ray for being a REAL DIEHARD

I legit spend every free night I have simming through seasons on OOTP Baseball (highly recommend for all you casual MLB fans out there). 

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Turner is a very good defensive SS, an elite baserunner beyond just speed, in addition to being a ++ offensive player. He's not 35 years old. His bat could regress slightly and he'd still be a well above average player. 

The risk with Trea is injury related; if he stays healthy, he's probably the safest bet of any FA in this class. 

Swanson being probably the 2nd least risky given expected contract size. 

Except he's a currently a below average defensive SS and will be playing 2B for about 80% of this contract.  Sure, he fills an immediate need for the Phils and makes them legit WS contenders and a video game lineup, which will be fun.  I just sense pain in years 4-10 of that deal.  

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Except he's a currently a below average defensive SS and will be playing 2B for about 80% of this contract.  Sure, he fills an immediate need for the Phils and makes them legit WS contenders and a video game lineup, which will be fun.  I just sense pain in years 4-10 of that deal.  

And they'll probably continue outspending teams like the White Sox bringing in big names during that time.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

And they'll probably continue outspending teams like the White Sox bringing in big names during that time.

Could be, or they could pull a 2017-2022 Chicago Cubs with a bunch of albatross contracts and have a decade of nuclear winter baseball. 

Edited by JoeCredeYes
typo

7 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Could be, or they could pull a 2017-2022 Chicago Cubs with a bunch of albatross contracts and have a decade of nuclear winter baseball. 

You say this as though the Phillies don't have recent experience with it!

They made 5 straight playoff appearances, topped out with the #2 payroll in the league. Then, they had to rebuild for several years, and dropped their payroll down below $100 million. That brought in guys like Nola. Then, they splurged on Harper knowing they weren't quite ready yet, but got a huge boost in ticket sales out of it. Now, they're back adding, and oh look, the NL pennant. 

That's what teams are supposed to do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

38 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Missed you during the breaking news of Jose's deal Ron, I cracked a nice bottle of bourbon that night to celebrate.

Nice man! My ban got lifted THAT exact day he got signed (at night). I think it was destiny.

I celebrated as well. Cracked open a nice bottle of Port that I got in Portugal. Best tasting wine I've ever had. It tasted extra sweet that night. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Do these teams have blank checks or something? Feels like other teams get a few hundred billion to spend and we get about 200 hundred million. 

It’s all about how much the owner is willing to spend.

If I was a fan of a team who’s owner didn’t mind paying the luxury tax every year, as a fan, why would I care?

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Can’t imagine how fun it must be to be a fan of 1 of these teams that actually participates in the big free agent signings….

Real franchise, real owners vs. paper billionaire, former IRS agent's tax write-off ...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Do these teams have blank checks or something? Feels like other teams get a few hundred billion to spend and we get about 200 hundred million. 

Baseball's revenues really are through the roof. A team like the White Sox should be able to average a payroll that is roughly $150 million - peaking over $200 million and then staying high for several years in a row. The White Sox have averaged $106 million over the past 10 years. The White Sox have averaged $106 million over the past 5 years (counting 2020). The Phillies have averaged $142 million over the past 10 years and $144 million over the past 5 years. 

37 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You say this as though the Phillies don't have recent experience with it!

They made 5 straight playoff appearances, topped out with the #2 payroll in the league. Then, they had to rebuild for several years, and dropped their payroll down below $100 million. That brought in guys like Nola. Then, they splurged on Harper knowing they weren't quite ready yet, but got a huge boost in ticket sales out of it. Now, they're back adding, and oh look, the NL pennant. 

That's what teams are supposed to do!

It's tough to argue that, and DD clearly know what he's doing.  Honestly part of my disdain for this deal probably relates to never being a fan of a big market franchise that acts like one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Look at your profile logo/pic and think about the low-rent franchise you root for...

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1