Trea Turner to Phillies

Tnetennba

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

#jadedsoxfan

See this is bullshit.  It isn't that Sox fans don't WANT their team to spend like this, or think they CAN'T.  It's that White Sox fans KNOW that this franchise WON'T spend like this, so it really could be one bad contract that fucks this franchise for a decade.

Stating it like this is a slap in the face to the intelligence of White Sox fans.  Just because we don't come out and give the long explanation every time that a contract is discussed doesn't mean that Sox fans don't get it.

• Like 4

The White Sox made it seem like if fans waited through a rebuild the days of White Sox half assing would be over and the team would spend like a team in search of multiple championships. But if you bought it, the joke is on you. Nothing has changed, and nothing ever will. Sure, the payroll is a bit higher, but, due to many front office mistakes, not high enough to win one championship unless everything goes right, and how can anyone not willing to get into luxury tax territory think they will ever have a reasonable shot at multiple championships? 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

See this is bullshit.  It isn't that Sox fans don't WANT their team to spend like this, or think they CAN'T.  It's that White Sox fans KNOW that this franchise WON'T spend like this, so it really could be one bad contract that fucks this franchise for a decade.

Stating it like this is a slap in the face to the intelligence of White Sox fans.  Just because we don't come out and give the long explanation every time that a contract is discussed doesn't mean that Sox fans don't get it.

I didn't read it that way. 

I read it as we, as Sox fans, are classically conditioned to cheap ownership and we use mental gymnastics to explain to ourselves why we're not allowed nice things. 

Everyone gets it. We're just resigned to our fate. 

The FO has contempt for the fanbase because we come back every year and they think we're a bunch of fools. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

every time a big contract is signed we all say the same thing. so that aside, this, in my opinion, will be a regrettable contract. If they win a World Series then it's a win. The people in Philly remember their 2008 championship ... the years in between rebuilding they do not. 

The Sox don't need to be the Cubs, BoSox, Phillies, Padres of ALL IN! and spend spend spend to eventually tear down, wait, and do it again. But they also can't be this version of a franchise. 

Alas it's much more likely grandal, hendriks, and giolito are traded than the sox actually try. 

7 minutes ago, he gone. said:

every time a big contract is signed we all say the same thing. so that aside, this, in my opinion, will be a regrettable contract. If they win a World Series then it's a win. The people in Philly remember their 2008 championship ... the years in between rebuilding they do not. 

The Sox don't need to be the Cubs, BoSox, Phillies, Padres of ALL IN! and spend spend spend to eventually tear down, wait, and do it again. But they also can't be this version of a franchise. 

Alas it's much more likely grandal, hendriks, and giolito are traded than the sox actually try. 

degrom is a regrettable contract

Trea Turner wont turn 30 until around the all star break next season. If he is a solid player for 5 years of this contract I don't think the Phillies are going to look at their 2028 payroll and go "Damn, you know what, wish we weren't stuck with this $27 million per year albatross."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Baseball's revenues really are through the roof. A team like the White Sox should be able to average a payroll that is roughly $150 million - peaking over $200 million and then staying high for several years in a row. The White Sox have averaged $106 million over the past 10 years. The White Sox have averaged $106 million over the past 5 years (counting 2020). The Phillies have averaged $142 million over the past 10 years and $144 million over the past 5 years. 

And that doesn't even get into the absurd valuations of these franchises...especially for a guy like JR who bought 40 years ago for $20M.

I truly despise the man.  I never felt that way until he hired TLR.  I never liked JR, but I didn't despise him.  I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire, now.

• Hawk 1