Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

• Sleepy Harold changed the title to Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Trading Liam, and losing Abreu in the same offseason, when the Sox are still in “win-now” mode sends an awful message.  

The only reason they would move Liam is money. I can’t seem them getting an offer that would just be a no-brainer where someone is offering a vast overpayment in players for Liam…so you’re moving him because of payroll restrictions, which only exist because of the owner. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I posted a month or so ago, I love everything about the guy. He’s been great, but, if they are cutting payroll, it makes sense for a few reasons. A. As great as he’s been , the Sox would have had the same playoff result both years he has been here. B. I think his elbow is a concern. C. The pitch clock is going to give him less recovery time, and I think may really affect him.

• Like 2

Why add talent in your contention window, when you can subtract talent and save money? This is a no brainer to Jerry’s wallet. At this stage, every Sox fan should be pissed. I can’t believe we endured that dogcrap rebuild just for Jerry to cry poor when it’s time to compete. Jerry, do us all a favor and sell the damn team. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Trading Liam, and losing Abreu in the same offseason, when the Sox are still in “win-now” mode sends an awful message.  

The only reason they would move Liam is money. I can’t seem them getting an offer that would just be a no-brainer where someone is offering a vast overpayment in players for Liam…so you’re moving him because of payroll restrictions, which only exist because of the owner. 

Absolutely agree. Cheap-ass JR. I love Liam, I would hate to see him moved. I also don’t see the reason a contending team trades their closer, and still has the intention of competing - ask the Phillies how well that worked for them not having a shut down pen.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I agree it’s sends an awful message, but we already know the message. The White Sox will not ever try to win at all costs. 

They will come up with some BS like ReyLo they never saw coming and he’s a closer…but we all know it’s money. Their sustained winning, multiple championships style never really came to be. Really lasted between 2020-2021 but not fully due to the pandemic. Looks like now they will bag it and go back to business as usual and hope one season everything can go right.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I posted a month or so ago, I love everything about the guy. He’s been great, but, if they are cutting payroll, it makes sense for a few reasons. A. As great as he’s been , the Sox would have had the same playoff result both years he has been here. B. I think his elbow is a concern. C. The pitch clock is going to give him less recovery time, and I think may really affect him.

The pitch clock thing actually makes a lot of sense and will definitely be something I hadn't thought to watch. He looks gassed if an AB goes to like 6 pitches and then he needs a minute to recover walking around the mound. Great point, Dick

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree it’s sends an awful message, but we already know the message. The White Sox will not ever try to win at all costs. 

They will come up with some BS like ReyLo they never saw coming and he’s a closer…but we all know it’s money. Their sustained winning, multiple championships style never really came to be. Really lasted between 2020-2021 but not fully due to the pandemic. Looks like now they will bag it and go back to business as usual and hope one season everything can go right.

On board with all of DAs thoughts. 

Only a team ridiculously tying one hand behind their back would be in this position. But if you are…

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

We have 1 OF’er on the roster, of course it’s conceivable we could improve the team by trading Liam. I  would have no problem with Lopez sliding into the closer role.

The biggest mishap with Jose was not trying to trade him at the deadline. Moving on from soon to be 36 and 34 year olds while they still have value is never a bad idea…now can this front office actually make a smart move and improve the team? That’s a fair question. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

Hiring Tony La Russa sent the worst message possible.

Anything beyond that has been just semantics.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

Well, there are no elite closers available and one Carlos Esteves just got $14M guaranteed across 2 years, so there very well may be a long line of suitors for Liam. 

I think Liam would be a huge loss in the clubhouse. I do agree with some that his elbow is holding by a thread. Looks like that TJ could happen with the forearm issues he had this past year. With what Edwin Diaz received from the Mets. This is probably one of the Sox biggest chips to trade him to the top dogs: Dodgers, Yankees, Phillies, etc. with their solid farm systems. Hopefully get two solid young pieces back in the deal [OF, INF]. 

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Bleh. Really don’t like the idea but if the return is good enough I guess….very much one step backwards, to hopefully take one step forward (use the $ towards a real OF) type move. 

This is a salary dump most likely. We aren't getting any useful pieces for him unless he is a part of a deal with Vaughn or Eloy.