Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

28 minutes ago, almagest said:

Gleyber Torres was a hell of a lot better last year than I thought. He's only 25 and isn't a FA until 2025. I'd for sure do this deal (especially if it adds Conforto or Nimmo), but why would the Yankees make this trade?

Yanks have solid 2B options, can plant LeMahieu back there every day, shift Pereza over when Volpe is ready to take over SS.  I could see them moving Gleyber while his stock is up after a good year.  Hard to believe dudes only 25 still. 

Just now, SoxAce said:

The absolute right move trading from a strength (unfortunately for a franchise acting like a small market) and I think Reynaldo would be fine as a closer personally. Better be to fill a hole(s) on the big league squad. 

I'd much rather trade Graveman, but I have my concerns about Liam's arm holding up. I think a combination of Lopez/Graveman at closer will be fine. If we're gonna need a closer to constantly close out close games like last year where we struggled to consistently score 4 runs a game, then I don't think this team is going anywhere anyhow. Improve our position players and maybe then we can worry about the bullpen. 

10 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

I'm cool with trading Hendriks.  Sox have more than enough capable bodies to close.  

If Hendriks can help this team at position of need and create more depth, then I am all for it

Really, we have more than enough capable bodies.  I must of missed that.  

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I’ve said this almost every time this came up: Liam Hendriks was way more important to the 2022 White Sox than you thought.

Starting in April with that losing streak, this team had a negative run differential. They outperformed their expected record base on one factor alone - their record in close games.

I kept watching that the whole year and expecting it to correct and it never did. The White Sox finished tied with Cleveland for the 4th best record in baseball in 1-run games. Had they been a .500 team in 1-run games, they finish 6 or 8 games below .500 and in third place.

Minnesota, for comparison, had a losing record in 1 run games and finished behind the White Sox despite a better run differential.

Furthermore, the White Sox’s bullpen wasn’t special overall. They were 8th in bullpen WAR, 12th in ERA. Their bullpen was one that had no depth. If you got to the Sox’s middle relief, you often scored 3 or 4 runs. Expensive middle relievers couldn’t be counted on. But if you got to the 8th inning and the game was tight; the Sox would go to Graveman in the first half and Lopez in the second half and shut this game down. 

If you took Hendriks out of the 2022 White Sox and replaced him with a 5 win outfielder, I think that team still finishes at .500. The run differential evens out, but the record in close games drops to .500, and the end result is no gain. If you replaced Hendriks with Benintendi, I think the team is actually a couple games worse.

Having seen how much they struggled in the 8th inning in 2021 (so much so that it led to the Kimbrel deal) and seeing how bad the middle relief was in 2022, I think this is the type of mistake that has an outsized impact. Not only do we drop more close games than we make up for with an OF, we also undermine any good emotions from the new coaching staff with losses in the 8th and 9th inning that are especially deflating emotionally.

If you’re selling Hendriks, sell Giolito and Cease. You’ve already given up.

Every year is it's own animal. Because the Sox couldn't hit they had a lot of low scoring close games. We all knew the success or failure of the rebuild was built around about 4 guys all becoming better than Abreu as he aged and not one of them has.

Pray they step up and we get a way better defensive OF to help the pitchers too. Every franchise that doesn't spend has to rely on young talent. Sox don't have enough of that. Hendriks can help fix that, not that I think Hahn is capable of fixing much of anything.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

25 minutes ago, Sarava said:

My fear is trading Hendriks would be a salary dump more than a baseball move to make the Sox a better team.

If it is a salary dump, then Hahn better get some solid prospects back for him then trade said prospects for an MLB piece to the team (or a 3 way deal). But that might be too creative for him.

5 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I would give Lopez a shot. Graveman pretty much sucked when closing games last year.

Yeah, Graveman looked shaky at best when he was thrust into the role.  Lopez may thrive in that role.  It would be nice to see how he does.

I think it is also important enough to note that in Fegans latest article covering Liam coming up on trade talks, he specifically noted that the reports he has heard are that other teams are asking about Liam versus the Sox actively trying to trade him. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think it is also important enough to note that in Fegans latest article covering Liam coming up on trade talks, he specifically noted that the reports he has heard are that other teams are asking about Liam versus the Sox actively trying to trade him. 

Solid point 

11 hours ago, Tony said:

Aaron Judge, Cody Bellinger, Michael Brantley, Joey Gallo, Kevin Kiermaier, Andrew Benintendi, Brandon Nimmo and a slew of others are all available. The Sox could have plenty of OF's if they wanted them. Trading their closer to fill that hole is only necessary if you aren't willing to spend money. 

Stop justifying things that shouldn't be justified.

I’m not justifying anything. We all know we have an awful and cheap owner. But we also all know there’s nothing we can do about the situation, it is what it is. I’m only talking about the reality of here and now…the roster needs to be improved and trading Liam does indeed represent an opportunity to do so. Not to mention that there’s like 3 quality free agent OF’ers that you listed and Benintendi is probably the only realistic option. 

Just now, 2Deep said:

I cant trust bummer anymore.  I was enamored with his stuff and ability but he craps the bed a lot in key situations.  

Welcome to relievers. He came back from injury last year late. 

In 2021 I watched him strike out the side vs the Astros in the playoffs and was the only reliever not crapping their pants.

Good offseason he’d be a strong candidate.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

But was good two years ago.

Between Bummer, Lopez, Graveman there is a closer there.

Yep.  And that's why trading Hendriks makes the most sense if they're going to trade someone.  They can either free up cash to go get a FA, or they can get someone to fill a position of need via trade.  Of course, that would require the front office to play it smart...and we all know how that might go.

If you can land a legit young player who can help you at a position of need while also freeing up payroll space, you 100% deal Hendriks.  Graveman or Lopez take over as closer.  Sign someone cheap with upside like Alex Reyes to add to the bullpen mix.  I 100% agree it feels wrong, but the path to a division title requires creativity and that means selling high on a guy who headlines our only area with some level of depth.

• Like 1