Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you can land a legit young player who can help you at a position of need while also freeing up payroll space, you 100% deal Hendriks.  Graveman or Lopez take over as closer.  Sign someone cheap with upside like Alex Reyes to add to the bullpen mix.  I 100% agree it feels wrong, but the path to a division title requires creativity and that means selling high on a guy who headlines our only area with some level of depth.

If the braves offered Vaughn Grissom would you take it?

He’s risky. But I also think I’d eventually move him to OF and Sosa to 2B. His obp was remarkably consistent. He’s fast as hell.

Still means we need to find a LH bat. If you were a real owner, you could say ok to Nimmo, start year with Colas in AAA, eventually move Grissom back to 2B and Colas to OF.

At that point, you could go into year and it offense is a disaster for stars again at least it’s now younger. If it’s just bullpen, you can trade for a guy.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

With the Braves paying a lot for Iglesias, I don’t think they’re a good match. I saw someone mention the Rangers yesterday, and they seem like a good fit along with the Dodgers.

Ugh forgot about his angels deal. Bummer.

43 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, Graveman looked shaky at best when he was thrust into the role.  Lopez may thrive in that role.  It would be nice to see how he does.

I always feel that some guys are actually made to be a closer and other relievers are okay for 7th and 8th innings but are missing that "something" to be a closer.  Lopez may thrive there but the choices are kind of limited if he does'n fit the role.  Teams are screwed if they don't have a real closer.  

42 minutes ago, bmags said:

Welcome to relievers. He came back from injury last year late. 

In 2021 I watched him strike out the side vs the Astros in the playoffs and was the only reliever not crapping their pants.

Good offseason he’d be a strong candidate.

For a guy who "was the only reliever not crapping his pants" in 2021, the 3 runs and a loss in game 2 of that series was pretty crappy. A lot of that was bad defensive positioning, but it still all happened. The dude had an 8.10 ERA during that series because of that one outing.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, Graveman looked shaky at best when he was thrust into the role.  Lopez may thrive in that role.  It would be nice to see how he does.

I think Graveman's problem was much more something physical, although I don't know what it was. His worst numbers were in days where he pitched back to back, he was noticeably more wild and gave up more extra base hits in those outings. Then on top of that, he really seemed to wear down in the second half, with a 4.81 ERA and a particularly bad September. By the end of the year there were clearly too many days where he was just unavailable. Whatever the problem was, I dunno, but that was more important than anything else.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

For a guy who "was the only reliever not crapping his pants" in 2021, the 3 runs and a loss in game 2 of that series was pretty crappy. A lot of that was bad defensive positioning, but it still all happened. The dude had an 8.10 ERA during that series because of that one outing.

Told u guys a reliever will be traded,just a feeling not source's i know nothing,just a feeling 

So the White Sox would have had zero money to spend if Pollock did the smart money thing and exercised his option. That’s building a sustained winner right there. And the Gavin Sheets is an Of talk just shows you how committed they are to putting a championship roster on the field. 

if you think about it, JRs refusal to try to dominate the division is so sad. If, instead of weaseling out last winter, they actual signed someone they wanted everyone to know they pursued, Cleveland probably trades Ramirez. The Sox play down to their competition. I still think they can win the division, but why just get by? You expect your employees to do their best every day. It’s time JR starts doing his best every day, or let someone who will take over.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

Liam Hendriks is not going to the Braves. They already have Iglesias. If anybody is going to the Braves, it would be Timmy. They are losing Swanson. What about Timmy for Grissom and one of their catchers? We then sign Nimmo.

Yeah Nimmo ain’t gonna happen. Agree with the Braves part though.

9 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

Liam Hendriks is not going to the Braves. They already have Iglesias. If anybody is going to the Braves, it would be Timmy. They are losing Swanson. What about Timmy for Grissom and one of their catchers? We then sign Nimmo.

Tim would make sense for the Braves but only if we got Albies back

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He gave up three singles, one of which had an xBA of .120 and another an xBA of .240, both grounders. Kimbrel then came in and every ball was hit in the air including a scorching double and a homerun giving the ERs to bummer.

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So the White Sox would have had zero money to spend if Pollock did the smart money thing and exercised his option. That’s building a sustained winner right there. And the Gavin Sheets is an Of talk just shows you how committed they are to putting a championship roster on the field. 

if you think about it, JRs refusal to try to dominate the division is so sad. If, instead of weaseling out last winter, they actual signed someone they wanted everyone to know they pursued, Cleveland probably trades Ramirez. The Sox play down to their competition. I still think they can win the division, but why just get by? You expect your employees to do their best every day. It’s time JR starts doing his best every day, or let someone who will take over.

oof, brutal.

Every team in baseball could use Hendricks, but who would want to pay for him and what would they be willing to give up?

The more I think about it, I think the return would have to be an AAAA player(s) that is blocked or at least partially blocked.  

At this point in the offseason I'm not sure why the Sox would be motivated to swap for a 2B/RF that is mildly better or mildly more cost effective than what is available.  The need to move Liam for a pure salary dump doesn't (or at least shouldn't) make as much sense now that they just had 12 million to burn on Clevinger.  

The acquiring club isn't going to blow a hole in their lineup (Lux, Lowe) to get a reliever that despite being paid blow market value, still isn't free; and while the RP market is hot and/or inflated right now, there are still several above average options available and a few that would have a feasible chance at performing similarly to Liam.  

Here are possible matches, not saying I'd do any of these in particular, not saying any are a clear upgrade over Sosa/Yolbert and not saying these are balanced one for one trades, just throwing out possible matches (please feel free to add more):

Mariners: Kelenic, Trammell

Padres: Rosario

Dodgers: Busch, Loloutman, Vargas

Marlins: Edwards, Groshans

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I am still not buying this $180M is the hard limit.  I sure JR would love to see it shake out that way, but I doubt its a hard and fast limit.  Also, Sox payroll including Clevinger's full $12M and counting the already paid buyouts as 2022 commitments, the current payroll is $168,900,000.  Even if $180M is the hard limit, they should have $11M to spend.  Obviously more if Hendriks is traded.  

11 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Dodgers: Busch, Loloutman, Vargas

Call me crazy, but I like an angle like this. 

I even think we should be pursuing 3B. At this point Yoan Moncada is our worst contract and don't really care about his future with the team. He's getting paid a boatload and if we can get someone like a Vargas you can just slide Yo Yo to 2B. For all the hype and talk around his solid glove it doesn't great out THAT well. I'd be exploring all options whether that be a Jung or a Vargas, etc. Nothing would be off the table for me. 

Also, i know we s%*# on the FO a lot for mismanagement. I'd call a trade of Hendriks, even in the position we are, a win. Closers and relievers are so up and down. David Robertson was out of the league and now he's playing a pivotal role on a world series contender. Sell, sell, sell if you can get yourself a controllable guy back.