Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

For the record, there are a couple of teams who can pull off dealing top players during a top of the division stay.  To be able to do it, you have to be willing to do one of two things.

#1 deal from a position where your farm system is giving you players to replace the ones you are dealing.

#2 spend in the free agent market

Which of these sounds like the White Sox?

In order to deal Hendriks the Sox would need to have another closer in place, plus someone to replace all of those innings that the domino effect of moving guys forward would create.  Internally, sure maybe ReyLo or Graveman steps forward.  So who steps forward into the middle relief roles?

Do the Sox get a major league starting LH RF or 2B for Hendriks?  If not, what do they get?  Is it someone they can then move to fill one of those holes?  If not, does it free enough money to sign these replacements?  Again, I still don't see it.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

For the record, there are a couple of teams who can pull off dealing top players during a top of the division stay.  To be able to do it, you have to be willing to do one of two things.

#1 deal from a position where your farm system is giving you players to replace the ones you are dealing.

#2 spend in the free agent market

Which of these sounds like the White Sox?

In order to deal Hendriks the Sox would need to have another closer in place, plus someone to replace all of those innings that the domino effect of moving guys forward would create.  Internally, sure maybe ReyLo or Graveman steps forward.  So who steps forward into the middle relief roles?

Do the Sox get a major league starting LH RF or 2B for Hendriks?  If not, what do they get?  Is it someone they can then move to fill one of those holes?  If not, does it free enough money to sign these replacements?  Again, I still don't see it.

you basically just guaranteed sox put Schulz into closer role this year

34 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

garsh darn it.  No one is biting on our guys?

Not yet. Still believe at least one bold move is coming (parting with Major League piece(s)). Moves they have been talking are pretty unlike the Sox. But doesn't mean anything until there is real action. Hopefully during these meetings,  but thought something would have happened by now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

"New" as if we weren't complaining about 3B for eleven consecutive years between Crede leaving and Moncada taking over.

How quickly everyone forgets how big of a headache it was to find someone competent to replace the carousel of crap we trotted out there year after year. I'm in no rush to repeat that.

True. 

1 hour ago, Pal said:

Not yet. Still believe at least one bold move is coming (parting with Major League piece(s)). Moves they have been talking are pretty unlike the Sox. But doesn't mean anything until there is real action. Hopefully during these meetings,  but thought something would have happened by now.

“Pretty unlike the Sox” 

now I have to think that thru. Trading youth for youth?  Prime years for prime years?

Edited by Chick Mercedes

5 hours ago, he gone. said:

haha. that's not what i said. I said i'd be open to exploring 3rd base as well. Vargas is a 3rd baseman/OF. He's not necessarily known for his fielding and has bounced around 1b, 2b, 3b, LF. he kind of feels like burger as a quick comparison but admittedly dont know very much about his defensive grading. I'm just saying if you have 3 options on the table for liam and one of the options is a Jung or a Vargas I wouldn't discount it on the account of Yoan who in all likelihood is only here for a few more years, is expensive, has experience at 2B, and hasn't performed up to standards. If you find a return that makes the team better to where yoan has to slide over, I'd consider it. I'ts really not that controversial. 

As a basic talent deployment, transferring the talent from the edge to the middle does make for optimal deployment. Especially if Moncada isn’t providing power at a power position. If we aren’t getting much needed lineup power, shore up the middle.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

1 hour ago, Pal said:

Hmmm. Appreciate the input

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Does this save $$ and or fill the OF holes?  I know nothing of these guys. 

It saves us $37M and gives you three ready / near major league players plus a semi-interesting catching prospect.  Those three players include a potential TOR SP, a high upside LH bat who might be able to play 2B, and an uber athletic LH hitting 4th OF with a non-zero chance of developing into a regular.

Not sure what you’d do with the savings at this point though and the reports on Busch’s defense at 2B aren’t great.

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

“Pretty unlike the Sox” 

now I have to think that thru. Trading youth for youth?  Prime years for prime years?

A move the White Sox wouldn’t make?

Obviously they’re going to take on someone else’s small bad contract in exchange for additional international signing space.

• TLR 1

Last year, the clowns on twitter said that teams were putting together offers for Kimbrel.  While these guys (Hendriks at least) are better than Kimbrel, I just don't see teams giving up much for the Sox relievers.   They aren't financial bargains and teams can fix their bullpen in July.