Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

40 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Last year, the clowns on twitter said that teams were putting together offers for Kimbrel.  While these guys (Hendriks at least) are better than Kimbrel, I just don't see teams giving up much for the Sox relievers.   They aren't financial bargains and teams can fix their bullpen in July. 

Hendriks is a bargain

4 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

“Pretty unlike the Sox” 

now I have to think that thru. Trading youth for youth?  Prime years for prime years?

I'm thinking "unlike the Sox" means the kind of moves we would call rebuild moves or what I rather call Tampa Bay type moves, vets for youth but more like MLB ready youth ,speed,defense, LH. Exploit those new rules. MLB wants stealing bases back in the game so let's go !

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm thinking "unlike the Sox" means the kind of moves we would call rebuild moves or what I rather call Tampa Bay type moves, vets for youth but more like MLB ready youth ,speed,defense, LH. Exploit those new rules. MLB wants stealing bases back in the game so let's go !

You keep saying this, but how does defense exploit the new rules?

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You keep saying this, but how does defense exploit the new rules?

if you read what I said carefully you'll see I didnt say all 3 things exploit the new rules. I said those are the types of guys I want. Then I said exploit the new rules which is actually the speed, stolen bases and LH part.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yeah like that time one team famously traded big slow and more expensive bat Carlos Lee for a young Scott Podsednik coming off a 100 steal campaign. THe White Sox never do moves like that. 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yeah like that time one team famously traded big slow and more expensive bat Carlos Lee for a young Scott Podsednik coming off a 100 steal campaign. THe White Sox never do moves like that. 

Ancient history. Can we at least stick to Hahn's tenure when discussing "unlike Sox moves". I'm not sure even with the new rules anyone is going to steal 100 bases again but it makes it more likely. Plus Pods was coming off a 70 stolen bases year in 2004.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ancient history. Can we at least stick to Hahn's tenure when discussing "unlike Sox moves". I'm not sure even with the new rules anyone is going to steal 100 bases again but it makes it more likely. Plus Pods was coming off a 70 stolen bases year in 2004.

Betcha he stole 100 in 2003. Anyway, still strikes me as hard to declare that one of the more famous franchise reshaping moves in their history is not like them.

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Betcha he stole 100 in 2003. Anyway, still strikes me as hard to declare that one of the more famous franchise reshaping moves in their history is not like them.

Would you prefer a) the exception that proves the rule or b) even a broken clock is right twice a day......or in the Sox case once in 42 years of JR ownership? 

7 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Would you prefer a) the exception that proves the rule or b) even a broken clock is right twice a day......or in the Sox case once in 42 years of JR ownership? 

Once? So if I can come up with other times the White Sox have made deals of more expensive veterans for younger guys who have made their debuts but who have years of control remaining then we can put this to bed? Ok. Hector Santiago for Adam Eaton. Matt Davidson for Addison Reed.

Of course, both of those happened in a year where the white Sox were rebuilding and put up the white flag in the offseason. Just like a Hendriks deal would.

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So because JR signed Albert Belle once it's like the Sox to sign players to the richest contract in baseball history  ?

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Once? So if I can come up with other times the White Sox have made deals of more expensive veterans for younger guys who have made their debuts but who have years of control remaining then we can put this to bed? Ok. Hector Santiago for Adam Eaton. Matt Davidson for Addison Reed.

Of course, both of those happened in a year where the white Sox were rebuilding and put up the white flag in the offseason. Just like a Hendriks deal would.

A Hendricks deal would not signal a rebuild. It could eventually but not for 2023 when the Sox could rebound as a franchise under the right set of circumstances.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

A Hendricks deal would not signal a rebuild. It could eventually but not for 2023 when the Sox could rebound as a franchise under the right set of circumstances.

If you're cutting payroll, trading an all star for guys who aren't even in the Dodgers top 10 prospects to fill roster holes, playing 3 rookies in your starting 9 (1 of whom is a borderline top 100 prospect in baseball), and you say you're not rebuilding, I got news for you.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ehh.  Need is a strong word. 

Nah....CWS is right. If they dont trade TA and solve multiple roster needs cheaply in one shot, they have to create payroll space somehow in another way and his value should be high with the money RPs are getting. 

They made a decision to artificially set a tight budget and there's too much money in the pen. We are gonna have to rob Peter to pay Paul somehow to address needs, it's just a question of who is getting robbed and where the benefit will go. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Short of spending $, idk. Not sold that trading Hendriks improves the team tho. 

Trading Hendriks alone doesn’t, but if moving him can allow us to solve a different hole while also freeing up cash it might.  We can not go into next year with Eloy or Sheets expected to play prominent roles in the OF and we could probably use a LH bat for 2B as well.  Not the ideal way yo do this, but I don’t see another option and Liam should command real value given the insane prices relievers are going for right now.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Trading Hendriks alone doesn’t, but if moving him can allow us to solve a different hole while also freeing up cash it might.  We can not go into next year with Eloy or Sheets expected to play prominent roles in the OF and we could probably use a LH bat for 2B as well.  Not the ideal way yo do this, but I don’t see another option and Liam should command real value given the insane prices relievers are going for right now.

The other options would include trading players that aren’t part of the projected 26 man roster